• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

GC File Transfer

ulli

Hi,

My wife has won 2001 Diversity Visa(Green Card) lottery. I was supposed to attend AC interview in War saw, Poland along with my wife but could not make it to Poland because the polish visa consular in D.C. did not issue me a tourist visa 2 go attend the GC interview in Poland! He told me it is not necessary for a guy from third world country to go to US Embassy in Poland! However, my wife attended the interview alone and got her GC approved!

So what do I do now? Can I still go to Poland to attend my GC interview? (this polish guy has put a stamp in my passport saying I can\'t try for polish visa for a year now!) I talked to the US Embassy there and they say if I can manage to go there they can still grant me the interview.

Or can I get my file transferred and attend the interview at a local INS here in the States? If this is possible, what do I need to do for this? I have been talking to INS and lawyers but nobody is giving me proper info on this! But, whatever I do now, I need to do it before September 2001!

Any comment or suggestion on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pradeep
prad64@yahoo.com

No Title

Did you take your wife (Polish citizen) with you to request your tourist visa? I believe if you presented with your wife all the supporting paperwork for your US immigrant visa (a need to attend the interview in Poland because of your wife\'s citizenship) they would issue you the visa. Is there any way your wife could contact somebody at the Poland embassy in Washington, D.C. and demand some explanations and apology?? I am Slavic as well and feel really upset by their discriminatory comments and behavior. Fight!
Anyway, you should be able to adjust here in USA, but it will be much slower.

I am not a lawyer!

No Title

If you cannot do the CP, you can do the AOS. See the following info:

Adjustment of status ("AOS") is a procedure that allows an eligible applicant to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States without having to go abroad and apply for an immigrant visa. Another alternative to AOS is Consular Processing. Please review both options carefully before going for either of them. AOS is for applying in US and consular processing is processing applying abroad at US consular office. AOS can\'t be applied abroad and consular processing can\'t be applied in US.

AOS has to be applied at the Regional Service Center.

The person must be in status all the times in order to file Adjustment of Status. Exceptions to this are, if the person had stayed illegally for less than 180 days, he/she can apply for AOS. If he/she had stayed illegally for more than 180 days but
the priority date is earlier than January 14, 1998 (section 245(i)), he/she can still apply for AOS by paying $1000 fine. All other persons must do consular processing abroad.

Between the time the adjustment of status is application is filed and the green card is approved, the applicant is considered
to be in legal status as an "applicant to adjust status."

Use a form I-485 for AOS. More info at www.immihelp.com - Adjustment of status (I-485).

No Title

Hi Martha,

Thanks for ur feedback. I applied for AOS today. My lawyer says I should get an EAC (Employment Authorization Card) within 3 weeks. INS says I should attend the GC interview either here or abroad before Saptember 2001. I hope things will work out for me.

Thanks,

Pradeep