GC after interview : how long to wait?

myjuls

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to go overseas soon after my interview and need to make travelling arrangements.

I am just wondering how long does it take to get an actual GC after the interview in case if everything is fine, case is approved, and FBI name check is complet.

Thank you for replies.

Green Card

I live in West PAlm Beach Fl. And it took About 2weeks . Congrads and be patient.

If everything is fine and your case was approved, they should send you your GC within 2 weeks. But there is no guarantee on that. It's been over 2 weeks since my interview and everything had gone smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will reference my recent timeline
Interview and approval
May 11th 06
Card recieved in mail
June 3rd 06

Of course it depends on the DO

It depends in many factors and since you don't know if they going to stamp your passport or your FBI name check is complete or everything will be okay at the end, then if you still want to make travel arrangements I would suggest that take a ticket that is refundable or at least the penalty to change dates are not so high. Unless you have an AP (Advance Parole) so you are free to travel does not matter if you must wait longer.

Good luck,

I cleared interview (pending Background check/FBI Name Check ) in Jun 2004 but Im still waiting for my GC

Well, so far it has been good. We moved from Dallas, TX which was where we were when we filed the application (I got my EAD and AP while we were still there), to VA and still got the interview in about 6 month's time at Norfolk, VA. (See my timeline.) So it has been good so far. The officer who interviewed us also said that everything was fine and that I should get the card in about 2 weeks. So I am guessing that my namecheck shouldn't be holding me up. My EAD and AP are still valid through January of 2007. if I don't get my GC in the next few months, I will try to go in and get an I-551 stamp on my passport.

We waited 2 1/2 years after our interview and had to sue to get the FBI to complete the name check. Under threat of a writ of mandamus, USCIS processed my wife's case. After we had documented proof of the decision, we dropped our case.

My wife doesn't have her actual green card yet, but we got an infopass appointment to get a stamp in my wife's passport, which allowed us to travel freely.

Here's our story in more detail:
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/14554011.htm

Our ordeal is what inspired me to help start American Families United:
http://www.americanfamiliesunited.com

If you would like to do something to change the system for the better, we are working to continue our lobbying efforts, and become a long-term voice to protect the rights of American citizens. Financial donations are what we need the most right now.