Garden City NY timeline/interview experience (N-400)

hm11

Registered Users (C)
New York area timeline/interview experience (N-400)

Any body getting interview letter in New York office?
I am waiting for the interview since Oct of last year. Please share your interview experience at Garden City office. Any advice appreciated.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that not many people are waiting for oath or interview from this location. Hopefully, this will make things move faster!!!!

Actually lots of New York meto area applicants go for citizenship interview at Garden City office. I am sure there are many N-400 applicants from this office.
Did any body get interview date from New York? Please post your timeline. Thanks.

I am in Queens NY,
My timeline is
PD: Sep 13 2002
FP: Oct 29 2002

Haven't heard anything yet about the onterview. The case Status online still shows 240-300 days and I am at 325 now.
Can people please share their timelines if they timeline is similar, thanks.

Hello.

I went to garden City Office in Nassau County for my naturalization interview on July 8th 2003.

Its been almost a month and nothing in mail as of yet.

Ins officer said i passed the test and gave me a sheet which said ...

*****Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At the time , it appears that u have established your eligibilty for Naturalization.If final approval is granted,you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath ceremont.*****

I have a friend who had interview at same office on may20th 2003, and he did not have his last year tax returns so officer marked his application pending and asked him to mail him his 2002 tax returns. which he did on may 26th 2003 and he recieved return reciept from USPS saying that INS recieved his papers on June 4th . and he told me that officer told him thet it will take 4 to 7 months for oath ceremony to take place. so he was relaxed and not worriying about hin oath since it was too early for him to be concerned about oath. GUESS what on July 4th he found that Letter!!!!!!!!!! to report to oath ceremony on july 16th 2003 in cadman Plaza building in brooklyn. and he was amazed and happy. so since he had interview before me i asked him every thing about his experience . so looking at his position and mine its diffrent , i dont know why and how. because he got his oath date in a month and for me its a month ( well to be exact 2 days less then a month ) and nothing in mail, and thinking thet my letter will take same time like my friends i check my dang mail box every dayyyyyyyyy.i mean i even know how many steps i take from my computer desk in my room to mail box .
Can u imagine how badly i would love to get this one last letter which gets me over with BCIS **Phewww**

Well .. if someone wants to know my e Interview experience or full time line let me know...i will be glad to write from A to Z.

And people wish me good luck. *** i want that letter ***

Good Luck To u All....

Hi shaky,

Please post your Naturlization interview experience at Garden City Office. What was your timeline?
I hope you get your Oath letter soon.

Thanks again for your feedback.
:) :) :)

Can you please post your timeline.
Thanks very much and wish you the best of luck with this last piece :)

my timeline:

applied sept 2002

FP notice march 2003

notice to appear for interview recieved on may30th 2003

interview date july 8th 2003

oath???????

OK guys one more news...

Another person who i know went to interview in garden city in new york on july 20th ((12 days after my interview )) and guess what.?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

She has recieved her oath ceremony date which is on aug 20th 2003. Oath ceremony this fast? why not me.????

this is making me even more concerned about my oath letter, maybe i have missed it.? maybe BCIS has put my file to use it as a Cabinet Balancing tool. to level one of their cabinet.

I dont know what to think of. the worst part is wait without knowing whats happening to my case. Can someone plz advise me what to do, in this case?

I dont want to keep waiting for 8 months and then go and find out that i missed my oath letter in mail which was sent to me two weeks after my interview.

Thanx all.

Hi Shaky,

Could you please post your INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE at Garden City Office.
Good luck with your Oath date. I am sure you will be getting Oath notification soon.

Thanks.

Hm11....

Ok. i went in at 1 pm for 1.30 pm app. there are two waiting areas. i went to first one and gave my letter at window and i was advised to seated and wait to be called.i waited about 25 mins there and my name was called and i thaught wow thats fast, i that it was my interview call but it wasnt. i went upstairs and there was another waiting area . ok i found a seat and started waiting. I started chatting to the lady sitting next to me she was from Pakistan. and her english wasnt that good.

I noticed some ppl who came after me were called in before me( same thing is going to happen to me in getting my oath letter, I assume ) well the lady sitting next to me was called before me , after 10 mins she came back and sat next to me , i asked her what happened, she said my officer says there is some problem. well i asked her in detail IN ** Urdu** ( langauge spoken in pakistan ) then she said '' she went in and officer asked her to raise hand and to tell the truth and she replaied *** I CAN ** AND OFFICER REPLIED SAME QUESTION COUPLE OF TIMES and she answered ** I can ** thinking that **i do ** and **i can ** mean same . so officer got upset and failed her right there before even interview. so she got another date and left.

well about 3:30 pm my name was called . it was aged officer in his 50's i belive. and he didnt look like other officer who joked around and smiled. ok we went in he asked to rais hand and normal stuff, he scaned barcode on my file and asked my name . and then he asked for my green card and I;D. and then he asked if i was still married i said yes.then he went through my file he checked every single paper which was in my file. ( i guess he was looking to what documents to ask for ) then he asked me for my 2001 and 2002 tax returns and i handed him my tax returnsi had made copies of my tax returns which he mentioned that was nice of me, and he smiled for 1st time.

he kept the copies and gave me back originals. then he asked me proof of residence, i showed him my recent phone bills. then he did something on computer and asked me for marriage certificate , which i gave him original and a copy. he kept the copy. and he said, Thanx for making his JOB easier.then he picked up my N 400 application and asked me my age and some questions from N 400 like was i ever arrested and stuff. and then he asked me if i wanted to change my name and i said yes. he said ok what part of name u wanna change and the reason. i told him i wanted to change my first name only and the reason is i like that name . he said OK. then he asked me about selective services and i gave him my registration card . Then he signed application and asked me to sign it with my name NOT the new name . and then he printed a paper with my old name and new name and he had me signed them too,

When i submitted my application i had forgotten to include my photographs, so i mentioned to him , then he said yes there was a note on application and he asked if i have them now i said yes. then he made me sign on my photos. and then came the question part. he asked me i think seven questions i dont remember all of them now . and they were easy ones from the list. i answered all of them correct.

Then he handed me the paper and told me to read the line which was like *** I am sitting in Garden City naturalization office ** i had no problem reading that offcourse . then he asked me to write a sentence on line on that paper ** I live in new york state **, and then he handed me the paper which said i passed the test and he tick marked the box that my application is recommended for approval and i will get notice in mail to attend oath ceremony . I asked him how long is that wait for oath and he said he has no idea.he stoof up and he walked me out of that hallway. i thanked him and walked out of building smiling.

Well i was very happy that I did it. But now looking at the facts that ppl who are interviewed after me are getting oath letters BUT not me, is making me worry and putting alot of thaughts in my mind , like, maybe something is wrong now or maybe i have missed the oath letter and thaughts go on.

Can anyone tell me what would YOU do if u were in my position. Wait for oath letter in mail for 2 or 4 months more OR go to 26 federal plaza in NYC and inquire about my case :confused:

Or maybe there is a dely in my case because i had chosen to change my name. Is it the fact that ppl who ask to change their names wait longer for oath for those who do not change their names? any Idea.??????

Plz reply...
Thank you .. and good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaky,
As I was reading your experience, I found that you have requested for name change. I don't know for how long you have been following this forum, but there were some post in this forum in which people mentioned that it takes lot longer ( 5/6 months ) for the person to take oath who request for name change during the interview. I hope that's not the case with you. !!!!!Good luck.

Choyty.. Thanx for reply

Yes i think thats my case. I did asked to change my name ( not that i realy had to ) so, this means i have alot of time to wait for oath???? But whats the reason behind that???? does anyone know??????

I just started using this forum one week ago. Do u know how to find those posts ???? where someone has mentioned longer wait for those with name change.????

Thanks ....

Thank you!

Thank you, Shaky for posting your interview experience.

Here is my 2 cents:
Name change is done at local courts (county etc.) and does not prolong the delay to the extent of months. (maybe weeks). So people who're getting the Oath invitations probably didn't ask for the name change.

July 20th is not that long ago. Be patient, you are almost there. I heard it's not uncommon to get an Oath invitation 4-6 weeks after the intervew. It's ony 3 weeks or so for you.....

No one on this forum knows what's happening with your application. I'd strongly recommend you go and ask at the office. If you have the time and it won't incovenience you the worst thing that can happen to you is that you will be sent away.
At the same time, it's been only few weeks. Relax, everything will be OK.

Thanks again for sharing your story with us and Good Luck!
You are almost there!

I thaught name change was done at the Oath Ceremony by the Judge. since the oath ceremony will be in administered by Judge . This person I know had his name change took effect on oath ceremony when Judge signed his paperwork. I never heard of this process where name has to be changed first at local court and then u are called for oath ceremony.

Thanx

Hi,
Based on the reading from different discussion boards, it appears that 'name change' delay oath notification. Why it happens? no one gives any solid or written references.

Did any body get interview letter for NY district recently? Plz share your timeline. Thanks.

I Just got today my interview letter. The status online disappeared 2 days ago only on the 11th.
The interview is for Nov 19th.
I wish everybody the best of luck !

Thank you happpy.
Plz post your time line. Good luck & congratulations.
Once you get done with interview, plz post your interview experience at Garden City office.
Thanks.