G-28 and Filing an Inquiry on I-485 by applicant

srika65

Registered Users (C)
I contacted USCIS on my own to initiate an inquiry on my I-485 only. Also I requested my attorney to initiate an inquiry on I-140 as it is pending for more than 70 days, and he filed an inquiry asking for the status update on I-140. Also he replied back to me as follows. Is this true? I have signed the G-28 to represent my case. Is this true? If this is true who will represent my case further if there is any RFE on my 1-485. Thanks in advance.

"You contacted CIS on your own, it is unlikely that CIS will respond to any further inquiries from our office."

I do not think what your lawyer says is true. Since you have legally given him authority to represent you, it does not mean that by you personally making any inquiry, you are taking away the lawyer's privilege to represent you. Please note that I think this it is reasonable to expect this in the absence of any clause in immigration law that overrides this belief.

Telephone Inquiry

Just I called 1-800-375-5283, and the lady officer asked me all the details like last name, first name, WAC#, A#, DOB, email id, mailing address, contact #, Country of birth & citizenship to file an inquiry, and she said their office will update the status in 3 weeks. I didn't send any G-28 to represent my case by myself. Thanks.

srika65 said:
Just I called 1-800-375-5283, and the lady officer asked me all the details like last name, first name, WAC#, A#, DOB, email id, mailing address, contact #, Country of birth & citizenship to file an inquiry, and she said their office will update the status in 3 weeks. I didn't send any G-28 to represent my case by myself. Thanks.

Hi Srika65,
How long ago did you do this and also did you ever hear anything back from them?
Actually, I have done something similar for my 485 ( 140 still pending after ability to pay and W2's fo 203, 2004 RFE response on Feb,05. I was told only the employer/attorney can enquire about 140 by the same Operator). The Operator told me that if I do not hear anything in 30 days, I can call them back to check on the status. Its been a couple of weeks now. So I will have to wait for another 2 weeks before I can enquire about it.

Good luck with your case.

I-485 self inquiry

Hi CV123,

I called them just 3 days back to know the status of I-485, and she ( officer) filed an inquiry based on the info I provided and she told me the same for my I-140. But she didn't give any ref # to call them back. Did you get any ref # from them to call them after 30 days. Thanks.

srika65 said:
Hi CV123,

I called them just 3 days back to know the status of I-485, and she ( officer) filed an inquiry based on the info I provided and she told me the same for my I-140. But she didn't give any ref # to call them back. Did you get any ref # from them to call them after 30 days. Thanks.

Hi Srika,

No ref. numbers were given to me either. I guess I have to call the 1800 number once again and will have to repeat everything to a new operator and take it up from there.

Good luck with your case

Help

Hello! I read your story and I'm begging for an orientation. Just before I got married and filled AOS, I corrected a mistake in my name (by lawyer advice) and had a new passport sent from home country along with paperworks. I sent copy of visa and old passport along with new to INS Atlanta in 2001. I was interview sept 9, 2003. Interview took about 5 minutes, but lady said she said they need to verify discrepency in name..then nothing..contacted congressman they said that my papers were sent oversees and have to wait..my country is in a verge of civile war...just don't know what to do anymore after almost 2 years. Just looking for a starting point.