FYI: Our AP was approved even with Digital Photos

gb04

Registered Users (C)
We had applied with digital photos not knowing the "rules" against it but our AP approvals came in anyway without RFE.

Mine was also approved with digital photos. As per new rules, digitals are allowed. Some USCIS officers are unaware of this rule and they deny/RFE AP.

max2k1 said:
Digi photos are OK as long its not obviously pixelated.

These days any decent digi camera can take a pic that's virtually indistinguishable from a regular camera !

USCIS photo specifications

Specifics reg digital photos
i dont see anywhere where it says "for I-131" digital pictures are accepted"

your I-131 with digital picture was approved dosent mean USCIS accepts digital pictures. my wife got RFE and so did many of my friends for improper pictures.

I think most of the officers in the AP section will refuse a digital picture UNLESS they don't realize it is digital.

I would have a hard time figuring out it was a digital picture unless it was obvious (pixelation, printed on non-glossy 'kodak' paper).

Funny thing is, my picture in the approval letter is a digital printout of the scanned picture of the digital picture which looks horribly distorted and pixelated anyway.

fast_gc_seeker said:
i dont see anywhere where it says "for I-131" digital pictures are accepted"

your I-131 with digital picture was approved dosent mean USCIS accepts digital pictures. my wife got RFE and so did many of my friends for improper pictures.
fast_gc_seeker :
USCIS accepts the standard Passport photos as specified by the Dept of State.

The link I posted is the official specs on these photos. Of course you won't see anything that says its OK to use in I-131 !!

Any USCIS app that needs photos uses the same standard -- so it won't be explicitly mentioned.

As you say, they got RFEs for improper pictures .... if you don't adhere to these specs, then it doesn't matter if its digital or not.
They will NOT issue an RFE solely based on the fact that the picture is taken with a digital camera ... it shouldn't be pixelated, of course.

max2k1 said:
fast_gc_seeker :
USCIS accepts the standard Passport photos as specified by the Dept of State.

The link I posted is the official specs on these photos. Of course you won't see anything that says its OK to use in I-131 !!

Any USCIS app that needs photos uses the same standard -- so it won't be explicitly mentioned.

As you say, they got RFEs for improper pictures .... if you don't adhere to these specs, then it doesn't matter if its digital or not.
They will NOT issue an RFE solely based on the fact that the picture is taken with a digital camera ... it shouldn't be pixelated, of course.
RFE we got clearly states "No digital pictures for AP ie I-131". inspite of this try ur luck by sending digital pictures.

by the way RFE also says "Due to printing issues photo standards for I-131 are different from others for ex: I-765[EAD]". My wife's EAD was accpted and got RFE for AP which should explain everything.

fast_gc_seeker said:
RFE we got clearly states "No digital pictures for AP ie I-131". inspite of this try ur luck by sending digital pictures.

by the way RFE also says "Due to printing issues photo standards for I-131 are different from others for ex: I-765[EAD]". My wife's EAD was accpted and got RFE for AP which should explain everything.
[RANT]
Then USCIS would have to state explicitly what is the accepted "standard" for AP photos.

Look at this page -- see the section titled "Special Instructions" --
it clearly says that the standard is the same as passport photos.

I hate the way USCIS creates more and more RFEs when a simple instruction would've taken care of it.

Oh well ... that's how they work (or don't work) !
[/RANT]

My husband too got an RFE for AP, because we sent digital photos without knowing. His EAD was approved with the same digital photos.

max2k1 said:
[RANT]
Then USCIS would have to state explicitly what is the accepted "standard" for AP photos.

Look at this page -- see the section titled "Special Instructions" --
it clearly says that the standard is the same as passport photos.

I hate the way USCIS creates more and more RFEs when a simple instruction would've taken care of it.

Oh well ... that's how they work (or don't work) !
[/RANT]

max2K1,
Here is the instruction given in the form :

II.Photographs.
A.If you are filing for a reentry permit or a refugee
travel document, or if you are in the United States
and filing for an advance parole document:

You must submit two identical color photographs of
yourself taken within 30 days of the filing of this
application. The photos must have a white
background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy
finish, and be unmounted and unretouched. NOTE:
Digital photos are not acceptable

raaj97 said:
max2K1,
Here is the instruction given in the form :

If you continue to read the form, the next paragraph states:

Code:
The photos should show a three-quarter frontal view
of the right side of your face, with your right ear
visible and your head bare

Obviously the form is way out of date. As it says on the AP page, the photo specification is the same as passport photos
(as given by the Dept Of State) -- which clearly states that DIGITAL photos are ACCEPTABLE.
So Digital photos should be acceptable for AP.

More confusion?

This update http://murthy.com/news/n_sercen.html provided on Apr 15, 2005, states "Digital photographs, however, may not be used. "
Whatever that means.... it is true that many were lucky to get there AP with digital photos. My daughter got an RFE for the digital photograph. When we submitted the polaroid photos, the AP was approved in 7 days with the old photos on it !!

- konark

I got for both my wife and myself approvals with digital photos ... I don't think it really matters as long as the quality of the photos is good enough so you can't tell if it is digital or not

konark said:
This update http://murthy.com/news/n_sercen.html provided on Apr 15, 2005, states "Digital photographs, however, may not be used. "
Whatever that means.... it is true that many were lucky to get there AP with digital photos. My daughter got an RFE for the digital photograph. When we submitted the polaroid photos, the AP was approved in 7 days with the old photos on it !!

- konark