Future wife in India, Me in USA with green card, Please help

sand500

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends,

Need your expert suggestions on this. I am desperate.

I am a green card holder. I am trying to get married to a girl in India. I hear that if I get married and apply for her dependent green card it will take around 4-5 years during which we have to live apart.

My question is if I get married to a girl in India then what are my
options if we dont want to live separately during the entire period (other than of course relinquishing my green card and going back to India for good)?

1. Is it possible to get her a student visa or something. What is she is not professional (i.e., not engineer or software professional)? Is there some easy schools she can get admission and a F1 visa through? If so, we can get the F1 visa then come here to USA and then officially register the marrriage in USA and apply for her green card.

2. How about H1 or L1 visas? Is this a viable option?

3. If I cant get her a F/H visa then can I apply for her green card and then take a 2 year break (by applying for a re-entry permit) to go live in India? Will her green card processing continue during this break? Or will I be unable to
apply for her green card if I go to India on a re-enrty permit?

I am hoping that within those 2 years either her green card will get
approved or some changes might come about in the immigration law to
help us.

4. Are there any other options to consider like moving to Canada etc? ARe there any companies which will offer H or L visas to non-technical people?

Please offer your feedback on what would be the best approach.

There r many persons like u...be calm..u r not alone..she can come on H1 visa...u can marry her in US...and process her green card also..but it is not advisable for her to visit India till her green card is done...so she might be stuck here for 4-5 years.

Check the classifications of the work visas and then you can see if she is eligible for one of those:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

As for student visas check this: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

If you consider to break the continuous residency in the US remember that then will be a problem to apply for US citizenship if that is the case.

Canada, I don't know. Every country has its rules. We discuss here about the US. You should check at:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

In this same website there are different forums about other visas (H, F, etc) and even moving,living in Canada; you can check that out too.

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
Brother, all I can tell you is get your Citizenship as quickly as you can. Apply the first day you are eligible. I am in the same boat, but got my citizenship. Now i'm having issues upgrading my wife's I-130 so reflect that now I am a citizen sponsoring my wife, and no longer a greencard holder.

Sorry I've searched so much - there is nothing unless your future wife is able to get into the USA on her own.

Note: I've heard rumors that if you've filed for her, her chances of getting any other visa becomes even harder.

Issues?

What kind of issues you are having upgrading your wife's 130? My husband is GC and after his citizenship he is going to upgrade my 130 as well. So please advice as what steps should we be careful about.

Thanks for your help.

gujboy75 said:
Brother, all I can tell you is get your Citizenship as quickly as you can. Apply the first day you are eligible. I am in the same boat, but got my citizenship. Now i'm having issues upgrading my wife's I-130 so reflect that now I am a citizen sponsoring my wife, and no longer a greencard holder.

Sorry I've searched so much - there is nothing unless your future wife is able to get into the USA on her own.

Note: I've heard rumors that if you've filed for her, her chances of getting any other visa becomes even harder.

rjai said:
There r many persons like u...be calm..u r not alone..she can come on H1 visa...u can marry her in US...and process her green card also..but it is not advisable for her to visit India till her green card is done...so she might be stuck here for 4-5 years.

If she comes here on H1, why would she have problems with travel?
H1 allows dual intent. She can stay on H1 as long as her GC is pending and use H1 to travel.
Once she applies for AOS, she can switch over to using EAD for work and AP for travel. I dont see what the problem here is..