Future travel return dates on N-400

dabs

Hello,

I am planning to submit N-400 form for me and my wife. We have green card. My wife is currently overseas and planning to return to US in late august. I do not want to wait till she comes back as her green card going to expire in Sep'2014. My question is, can you submit N-400 form with future return dates and number of days in section 7 for time outside united states ?

As N-400 form ask for US travel dates along with total days , I can either A) specify her expected return date in August or B) do not specify her current trip dates ? or c) any other options ?

Is there any issue specifying future return date ?

Thanks in Advance..

You can always update the N-400 at time of interview. I had to do the same as I had to take a trip outside between the time of filing of N-400 and the interview date. So go ahead and apply for it. You do not have to put a future date. All the best.

I filed mine last October knowing I was traveling in November. I included the dates of my travel in the form.

Thanks vijay421201.

As she is outside US already, are you suggesting not to mention about the current trip ( so no start and end date) but then update N-400 at the time of interview ? Does it create any issues or delays ?

Alternatively, I can mention future return date with asterix as expected return date at the time of original submission.

Hi dabs
I think you should be fine either ways. It is not an problem if you put a future date and it is fine if you update it at interview. I had to correct a date for past trip for my wife on her N-400 at interview as we had made a mistake at time of filing. The Immigration Officer accepted our explanation that it was an mistake and she updated the form likewise.
We were worried for couple of weeks about that mistake and it did not turn out to be big issue :). I am pretty sure the process for you would be simple and short too. All the best.

If you file now what are you going to do if they scheduled her to go to ASC before she comes back? The ASC appointment has to be done in the US. I have heard of people attempting to go to ASC early, but never heard of someone actually changing the appointment or going after the appointment date.

If you file now what are you going to do if they scheduled her to go to ASC before she comes back? The ASC appointment has to be done in the US. I have heard of people attempting to go to ASC early, but never heard of someone actually changing the appointment or going after the appointment date.

There is no problem of postponement of FP or interview. These mails are sent by ordinary USPS mail. There are many instances the mail not reaching applicant and people miss their appointments. Their appointments are rescheduled on request. If the date is not suitable anyone can request for rescheduling for valid reasons but it may result in delay.