Furnishing liquor to Minor

psman

Registered Users (C)
In May 2002 I was charged with "furnishing liquor to a minor". My lawyer entered a deal with the prosecutor where I didn't have to make any admission of guilt and if I kept out of trouble for the next one year, then the case would be dismissed. But I attended a class on liquor laws and paid some minor fee for the class. After about a year (in late 2003) the case was dismissed. I haven't been into any trouble since then.

After that I have made at least 6-7 trips outside the country and have never had any issues getting back inside. Also never had any issues getting my H1B renewed.

I filed for my I485 during the 2007 fiasco (when the priority dates for every one became current temporarily). My I485 may be adjudicated soon (as the priority date is getting near). I have the following questions :-

(1) Would any one know if "furnishing liquor to a minor" considered a crime of moral turpitude ?
(2) Is there a chance that my green card can be denied because of this record ?

As far as I know if you don't enter a nolo or guilty plea and the judge/jury doesn't actually find you guilty, then you are not convicted for immigration purposes. There's always a chance that they make you fight for it though.

i had to accept that im guilty and the worst part is it happened to me twice.....how bad would it effect the chances of me getting the green card.this happened like 4 years ago..

i had to accept that im guilty and the worst part is it happened to me twice.....how bad would it effect the chances of me getting the green card.this happened like 4 years ago..

I couldn't find anything that says furnishing alcohol to a minor is CIMT. Assuming that it's not CIMT, you need to find out if the combined maximum sentences of the two offenses is less than 5 years, otherwise you're in trouble and will need a waiver. This is something you really need to discuss with a criminal and immigration attorney familiar with the laws of your state.

By the way, if the charges stemmed from you working in a store without employment authorization, they can be used as evidence that you worked without permit. That's a different problem.

If it is a CIMT it will be a problem because you have 2 charges. One CIMT charge would be ok under certain conditions.