Full-Time and Part-Time on EAD with Pending I-485 Approval

hz4206

Registered Users (C)
Hello Folks,

I am currently on my second H-1 Visa working for the GC Company full-time. My I-140 has been approved and my I-485 has been pending for over 6 months. I will be travelling abroad and I plan to re-enter the united states on my EAD. (I already have the advance parole document). I have read that once you begin work on EAD, your H-1 is no longer valid. Now for the questions:

1. Is it true that your H-1 Visa is no longer valid?
2. Once I started working on my EAD, can I work part-time at another company?
3. What documents would I need to complete?
4. What documents would the 2nd Company complete?
5. Is there even a 0.00001% chance this will effect my green card application or citizenship application down the line?
6. Once I do get my green card can I still continue to work part-time with the second company and if so, will I be working on the EAD or the Green Card?
7. If I continue to work part-time with the 2nd company after I-485 is approved, will this affect my citizenship application even though I continue work full time with the GC Company. (Intent Issue)

Thank you for all of your help.

Just to clarify, you would reenter the US using your AP. EAD is for work only. It has nothing to do with reentering the US. That being said....

1. If you use your EAD to work at another job, you are correct, your H1-B is no longer valid. You would be working on the EAD at BOTH jobs. You'd have to let the HR department at your current employer know that you are now on an EAD and not an H1-B. There will be a form to fill out.
2. You can work at as many other jobs as you like on an EAD. (provided your current employer has no problem with it). You must however maintain your position with your sponsor.
3. There are no special documents to be completed. Just the typical employement form. I believe it's an I-9, but I haven't finished my coffee yet, so I'm not 100% sure that's the right form. ;-)
4. Same as 3. Nothing special.
5. No. I work for my sponsor full time and I have a business on the side. (using my EAD)
6. Yes and you'd be on the GC. You'd have to complete a new I-9 at that time.
7. I don't see why it would. You're still with the full time employer. Many people hold down 2 or more jobs these days.

Regards

Rav

Thank you

Thank you Rav for the help. Would I need to let my GC Company know that I am working part-time.

Thank you

From a USCIS point of view, no. They don't care. However, you may have an agreement with your employer that governs part-time jobs. You'll have to review that to see what your company policy is.

Regards

Rav