Fulfilling the financial requirements of I-864

justanotherday

Hi,

My spouse is (a U.S. citizen residing in Massachusetts and is) 18 years of age and has just started college, hence she does not have any tax returns or employment history for the past 3 years. Furthermore, as I am 22 and have only recently finished my Masters Degree in the UK, I do not have any tax returns or an employment history for the past 3 years either. The required annual income for the two of us (at 125% of the poverty line) is $16,037.

My spouse has just started a part-time job which covers the required amount and therefore has a couple of months of employment history with which to prove her income (and of course I will be getting a job providing the I-765 (work permit) is approved). Further, we both have additional personal assets (though not an amount that meets 5x $16,037 = $80,185 [the total amount in assets required given zero acceptable income]).

Thus, the problem is that whilst we will never have insufficient funds, as we have enough to support us far beyond my finding employment, the requirements of the affidavit need to be satisfied.

Obviously it would be far better to have a co-sponsor, but assuming we do not have one, will the aforesaid satisfy the criteria? Will the fact that neither of us have 3 years of tax returns or employment history necessarily result in rejection?

Another possibility (without using a co-sponsor) is for me to obtain the full $80,185 in assets through my own family. However, would this not look 'suspicious' or be inadequate that this amount appears in my recent bank statements and not before that time?

Any help or information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Just,

Tough issue......I think it would look suspicious if $80,000 suddenly appeared in your bank account...... Probably would be a good idea to get a good immigration attorney in the US.

Jim S.

There's nothing criminal to use the financial support of your family. This money doesn't just apper in your account.If you family co-signs the Affidavit. There's nothing wrong in this, and not at all criminal or suspiciuos. I would say that there's no need even of transfering funds and assets, since your family will be your joint sponsor. In this case they take the full responibility, and is enough these assets to be shown on their statements and financial documents. You can even put 0 income if your family as a joint sponsor has the means to cover the financial requirements