FRRO Registration

vardhman

Registered Users (C)
I have a US passport and a PIO card and staying in India for more than a year now. Somehow I was not aware of the need for FRRO registration until today.

Now I need to travel to USA in september. Would I have any issue while entering or exiting the country (at airport or otherwise).

thanks,

I have a US passport and a PIO card and staying in India for more than a year now. Somehow I was not aware of the need for FRRO registration until today.

Now I need to travel to USA in september. Would I have any issue while entering or exiting the country (at airport or otherwise).
------------------- Get Registred with nearest FRRO office ASAP and explain your situation you may have to pay some fine.When you get Registred FRRO office will provide you copy of Certificate of Registration (Part III of Form A) and keep that with you. At Airport they may create problem for you if you dont have copy of Registration .
thanks,
Registration form
http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/BOI_Forms/REG_FORM.pdf

Bureau of Immigration, India
http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in
Read Faq
2.PIO card holder will be exempt from the requirement of registration if his stay on any single visit in India does not exceed 180 days.

3. In the event of continuous stay in India of the PIO card holder exceeding 180 days, he/she shall have to get himself/herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Officer/Foreigners Registration Officer.

**Only Children under age of 16 don’t need registration staying on any Visa or PIO card .
***update us when you reach US.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about if I postpone my trip to US for another month and apply for OCI immediately (without going for FRRO). Will I have any issue getting my OCI done?

thanks,

How about if I postpone my trip to US for another month and apply for OCI immediately (without going for FRRO). Will I have any issue getting my OCI done?

thanks,
OCI may take more than 1 month and they require you to send a copy of the current Visa. If you want to make the trip, you may want to consider going to an office and speaking with the offcial.

thanks,

when you apply for OCI they may ask the copy of Registration Certificate.
get registred with nearest office ASAP.

FRRO registration is not difficult

FRRO registration is not difficult. You can do it at your nearest FRRO office and generally takes only a day or two. And, maximum 2 visits to the FRRO office.

FRRO registration is not difficult. You can do it at your nearest FRRO office and generally takes only a day or two. And, maximum 2 visits to the FRRO office.

The process in itself may or may not be difficult. But FRRO registration is a major hassle for someone who lives a long distance away from his/her nearest FRRO. There are so few FRROs. The person would have to travel overnight and stay in a hotel for a few days just to get this registration done. Tough luck if the person is told to come back after one week!

A necessary evil is what it is.

The process in itself may or may not be difficult. But FRRO registration is a major hassle for someone who lives a long distance away from his/her nearest FRRO. There are so few FRROs. The person would have to travel overnight and stay in a hotel for a few days just to get this registration done. Tough luck if the person is told to come back after one week!

A necessary evil is what it is.

Every city has SP office or SSP office and they also act as FRRO registration office. One can go to Police station and can find SP office or SSP office in small cities.

Every city has SP office or SSP office and they also act as FRRO registration office. One can go to Police station and can find SP office or SSP office in small cities.

Yes, foreigners typically register themselves at the local police station. However, I am not sure if it qualifies as FRRO when it comes to matters of OCI. Maybe it does, but I'm not sure.

Yes, it does

Yes, foreigners typically register themselves at the local police station. However, I am not sure if it qualifies as FRRO when it comes to matters of OCI. Maybe it does, but I'm not sure.

Yes, it does qualify as FRRO. In small cities (and cities where the FRRO office not present), SP is given the additional role of FRRO. In fact, they send the copies of the application to the Central Government FRRO division.