from j1 to F1

elisavetat

Registered Users (C)
Hi,there i have a question and i guess nobody can answear me so i decide do aks all of you
Last summer i was with a j1 visa on a work and travel program.This was my third time.I wanted do learn some more english so i did enroll in a language school.I filled out some documents for changing my status to f1.And than i understood this is kind of illegal so i call the school and cancel it.But i did sent my immigrations documents to the Vermont service.And actually the problem is that i went back to my home country on 27th of September and the immigrations sent me my i-20 form valid from the next day and my new i-94 on 2nd of octomber.How come that happened?i was already in my home country and they are sending me a new visa?Do you think that i will have problems now if i decide to apply for some kind of visa,oh my God i didn`t want to do anything wrong or illegal.:(

you didn't do anything illegal.

consulates do frown upon changes of status, but you forfeited yours when you left the States while it was pending.

the USCIS didn't send you a new visa. They simply approved your change of status request.

Yes i know that i didn`t do anything illegal but i still think that they will ask me a lot of questions about that.And i don`t know how to answear.I didn`t forfeited my status,i left the USA just on the last possible date of my j1 visa and gave back my I 94 form so i went back just on the right date.I think that they sent me that I 20 form and that new i 94 but they actually didn`t become effective.So everybody wish me a good luck:(