From fying pan into the fire -- what the f$$k!

this_processing_kills_me

Registered Users (C)
From the frying pan into the fire -- what the f$$k!

I can't believe what my ears are hearing. Is it true that now my 485 is approved, I must get the 551 stamp in my passport before I can leave the country next week?

Here's the situation:

- Leaving next Thurs on Lufthansa via Munich for India
- Have valid AP for travel, which is what I intended to use on my way back.
- Got valid German airport transit visa in my passport (I used AP at the time of applying for visa)

Question is: Why the f$$k should I have to get an I551 stamp in my passport before I travel (that's what the attorney keeps harping)? I understand that AP is invalidated now that 485 is approved. But -- I can always pretend that I am not approved. After all, I haven't received the approval notice yet. Even if I did, my understanding was that I could use the AP on my way back at which point I'll be told to get the 551 stamp in my passport.

I pose the question to anyone and everyone on this board. Feel free to respond with urgency. I can't imagine that I have to postpone my trip because of this pain-in-the-a$$ approval (was a pain before it came through, and continues to be a pain after coming through).

_this

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know where you live. But its taking only 2 two 3 days to receive the approval notice, atleast for those who live in Bay area. Mine approved on 29th and mailed on the same date and I received it on 2nd August.

If you dont recieve the approval notice its still manageble. I remember there is a post about this issue. Try to search this forum.

Received my approval in 3 days, Approved on the 11, received notice on the 14th.

But I did read that you could take a printout of your approval status and then use that along with your confirmed tickets to make a case for early stamping. Why don't you give that a shot tomorrow? You still have one day?

I'll try that sometime this week (Friday, I guess). I am leaving for India next Thursday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get it by early next week. What sucks is that the lawyer will get it first, and then they would have to fed-ex it to me, which means another day is wasted there.

_this

this_processing_killsMe said:
I'll try that sometime this week (Friday, I guess). I am leaving for India next Thursday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get it by early next week. What sucks is that the lawyer will get it first, and then they would have to fed-ex it to me, which means another day is wasted there.

_this
You get a courtesy copy, you can go with it.

When you said next Thursday, I thought you were speaking about the upcoming Thursday. If it is the week after, I wouldn't even bother. You should be getting your approval notice by Saturday at the latest, and can go for stamping by Monday. Just get the photographs and find all your paperwork.

Good luck! :)

Thanks!

As for the docs, this is what I am aware of:

EAD
AP
Passport
2 Photos (I'll take 4 - 2 angled and 2 front)
Approval Notice

What the hell-- I'll take my tickets even.

I'll keep you guys posted.

_this

Dude, even if you don't get your PP stamped you will be 100% fine. I have known many who have traveled in an out of the US after approvals and before stamping. USCIS has no idea what your travel plans are. I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you get the notice and get your PP stamped well and good. Otherwise....cccc-ccc...hillllll.....

Congrats on your approval.... :p

wong561hb said:
USCIS has no idea what your travel plans are.

My point exactly! How/why the hell does anyone know/care when I got the approval notice in hand, if I was in the United States or not, or if I intentionally didn't get the passport stamped? If I had not signed up for the email notification thing, my lawyer wouldn't even know that I am approved. And why would I be forced to postpone the trip planned months in advance, simply because the freaking approval notice landed at my doorstep the day before the trip?

All kinds of questions, with one simple answer -- f$$k them!

_this

cool it, no amount of venting is going to help you. if you get the approval notice, go and get stamped, if not then as long as you have a valid AP till you come back into US, you probably are fine.

I have also heard that a couple of folks took the print out of the online message and went to the local office for stamping with all the related documents, I am not sure if that would work in your case, but if you think you have time, why not try it. after all at the most you will get is sorry we need the actual notice blah blah blah....

my $0.10

My point exactly! How/why the hell does anyone know/care when I got the approval notice in hand, if I was in the United States or not, or if I intentionally didn't get the passport stamped? If I had not signed up for the email notification thing, my lawyer wouldn't even know that I am approved. And why would I be forced to postpone the trip planned months in advance, simply because the freaking approval notice landed at my doorstep the day before the trip?

All kinds of questions, with one simple answer -- f$$k them!

_this
Whoa --- look at you ... cursing for getting the approval :D

Most of us would gladly take the approval in such cases :)

Relax - you are OK whether you get it stamped or not,

You should be cursing and yelling at the lawyer that gave your crappy advice - not USCIS :)

...and you cant really "pretend" you did not get approved or know of the approval - wont matter. on arrival, the imm officer will simply tap-in your "A-number" and give you deferred inspection etc.

wac-ed in CA said:
...and you cant really "pretend" you did not get approved or know of the approval - wont matter. on arrival, the imm officer will simply tap-in your "A-number" and give you deferred inspection etc.
You can always pretend that you were not AWARE of the approval.

After all postal mail does get misplaced and there are lazy lawyers everywhere :)

This should work as long as the travel is not many weeks after approval - even USCIS says it will take 14 days for the notice to come to you :)

Plus at the POE, they really have no clue as to when you departed the country :)

this_processing_killsMe,
Definitely, you will recieve your approval notice in 4 days.
If you live in Los Angeles area..., do not go to Los Angeles office for stampping. Even if you show you Air tickets..., you will not be let inside for stampping.

GO to Santa Ana office, show your tickets.., tell them that you have purchased much before the approval.., so you need to get stampped before you leave.... They will get obliged. Good luck
Santa Ana office personnel behaved much better than LA...

max2k1 said:
You can always pretend that you were not AWARE of the approval.

After all postal mail does get misplaced and there are lazy lawyers everywhere :)

This should work as long as the travel is not many weeks after approval - even USCIS says it will take 14 days for the notice to come to you :)

Plus at the POE, they really have no clue as to when you departed the country :)
Plus at the POE, they really have no clue as to when you departed the country

I am just curious about the comment above, does that mean their computers do not record people who travel out of the country. I think they do record it especially after 911. Correct me if I am wrong.

max2k1 said:
Whoa --- look at you ... cursing for getting the approval :D

Most of us would gladly take the approval in such cases :)

Relax - you are OK whether you get it stamped or not,

You should be cursing and yelling at the lawyer that gave your crappy advice - not USCIS :)

When I said F$$k 'em, I included everybody :)

And yes, as others seem to suggest, that's what I also think -- I can always pretend I never knew of the approval IF I don't receive any approval notice in mail. After all, registering at USCIS website for periodic updates isn't strictly a legal requirement :)

This is my POA:

1. Wait for approval notice. If it shows up by latest by Wed night, I'll get the stamping done on Thurs. For the record, I live in the bay area.

2. Contact the travel agent in the meantime to check for availability of flights in the first week of Sept.

3. If 1 and 2 fail, then make the trip on AP.

_this

golumolu said:
Plus at the POE, they really have no clue as to when you departed the country

I am just curious about the comment above, does that mean their computers do not record people who travel out of the country. I think they do record it especially after 911. Correct me if I am wrong.
Am not sure how efficient that system is yet.
Am not suggesting that you lie about your departure date -- you NEVER want to do that !

I was merely pointing out the various parameters involved :)

When I said F$$k 'em, I included everybody :)

And yes, as others seem to suggest, that's what I also think -- I can always pretend I never knew of the approval IF I don't receive any approval notice in mail. After all, registering at USCIS website for periodic updates isn't strictly a legal requirement :)

This is my POA:

1. Wait for approval notice. If it shows up by latest by Wed night, I'll get the stamping done on Thurs. For the record, I live in the bay area.

2. Contact the travel agent in the meantime to check for availability of flights in the first week of Sept.

3. If 1 and 2 fail, then make the trip on AP.

_this
Seems like a good POA .... there is a very good chance you get the approval notice by end of this week (since u are in the bayarea)

You can check with your lawyer (or any attorney) about AILA stamping appointments in SJC and SFO offices -- it would really help you.
Also I heard rumor that InfoPass is coming soon to bayarea and hence they are not giving the AILA appointments ....no idea how soon though

AILA stamping apointments??

I was planning to go to SJ office, and my understaning is that no appointment is needed -- it's a walk-in. Can somone confirm? thx.

_this