From F1 VISA to J1, or should I apply for H1B?

FuturePostdoc

I am a Hong Kong citizen and a PhD student under the F1 status for 7 years studying in the US. I get a postdoc position in an unversity in the US, the start date is Sep 1, 2010, and the duration is 1-3 years. I have a few questions:

1) Should I apply for a J1 VISA or a H1B VISA? I heard that I have to return to my home country for two years after the J1 expires. Does it apply to Hong Kong citizen (seems not since HONG KONG is not listed on the Exchange Visitor Skills List)?

2) I also heard that J1 holders cannot apply for a Green Card. Is it the case?

3) Another option is to consider to apply for an OPT, and then apply for J1 or H1B later. Which way (apply J1 directly, apply H1B directly, apply OPT then J1, apply OPT then H1B) is better for me?

4) Can I transfer to H1B from J1 easily?

5) If I am offered a J1 or H1B VISA for my position, and after 1 year of my appointment, I want to change to another job. Do I need to re-apply for the VISA?

6) After the last date of my appointment when I am in my J1 or H1B status, can I stay in the US for a while, similar to the OPT status in F1?

7) Can I stay in the US during the application for the J1 or H1B VISA, or do I have to return to my home country (Hong Kong) to do that?

8) I also have a wife who is a graduate student under the F1 status. Is there anything I have to be aware when considering my wife's status together?

9) Is there any good online resource for my related status and quesitions?

Thank you very much for your help!

You nailed on the questions I wanted to ask. The only difference is that I am offered a J1 because holding a Bachelor degree made me over-qualified for my current position. The J1 will give me time to get a promotion before resuming the H1B chase. So.. I am commenting on this thread to revitalize it - hopefully someone will answer soon!

Cheers,
Joe