All,
My 140 is approved (09/28/03)
By 485 is pending (RD : 02/16/03)

EAD/AP approved /cards (4/29/03)
Finger Printing done 5/22/03

Since 485 processing is going slow can I switch to CP

IF I doit now how long will it take

Vij ..

yes you can change to what is called attorney certified I-140/ AC I-140 process!

But only a few consulate allow this process! What consulate would you fall under?

I fall under Mumbai (Bombay) Consulate India.
How to find whther Mumbai Consulate allows Cp or not.

Vij..

Thanks guys!
That information is useful. Any idea how long it will take for the
CP interview from the date I start I file for AC-140

Vij .

love_immi:

About 3.5 months from the time you mail AC I-140 packet to your consulate assuming:

1. All necessary documents are complete and included in that packet

2. The consulate accepts the AC I-140 application.

Hi guys,
Merry Christmas & Happy New year to all of you!

Please throw some light on the role of salary & designation change (Promotion) during the process of Green card (all 3 stages).
Does that matter or affect anyways CP if there is a increase in salary & designation which will be definitely more than which is mentioned in Labour filing & I-140 filing??

Please advice,

Thanks.

goyal:

Without getting into much technical details here are my two cents in a few bullets:

* I personally know 2 individuals who underwent CP interviews @ Bbay consulate as recent as last quarter of 2003.
- Individual 1's real salary @ time of CP interview was $21000 less than LC mentioned salary
- Individual 2's real salary @ time of CP interview was $19000 more than LC mentioned salary
Both friends has successful interviews with no questions asked.
At the same time, salary can be a matter of discussion. It is normally believed a reasonable salary difference + / - is acceptable. What is "reasonable" is a matter of judgement!

* Same is true with Designation. Definitely if ones LC was filed as Software engineer but @ time of CP his designation is Director MArketing IT Software may be a red flag!

What I am trying to get at is if you provide us with specific details that would help us decipher and guide! Talking about salary and designation in general can become a long topic.

Let us know what is the LC salary + LC designation & approx salary + designation at time of cp. This will help one of us answer your question better!

Sorry KD1403, I didn't mean to hurt any one... Since I am fairly new to this forum, I thought posting it in multiple threads means different people can read it & share their views.
But I think you are right, may be I will post my questions in one thread only & wait for the replies.
Sorry once again.

To answer your question regarding Salary & designation, unlike you mentioned its not huge change, its just annual increments & next title after 3 years...

But my question is whats the guideline or immigration law about it? Is there any restriction / limitation on it legally??

Thanks,

goyal:

Normally there is no $$ amount or a number set for salary...the word "reasonable" is used in a number of places! Hence what is reasonable to me may not be reasonable to the immig officer revieweing the case!

It is normal to have salary @ CP higher than salary @ LC like you said bcoz of growth in career during the time between LC & CP.
In current down economy, it is no longer a red flag to have a salary @ CP REASONABLY lower than salary @ LC. I would imagine a 10% lower difference should be acceptable. Again on the same line about 20% higher should be acceptable...again these %'s are reasonable as per my intuition!

Again if you have moved from being a software engineer @ LC time to Project Manager IT @ CP that should be fine too, again as per my thinking!

I can say the above since since my salary was up by that % and there was a similar designation difference in my own case when my cp was processed in october 2003!

Dont worry goyal all will go well as long as you have all the required documents recommended by the consulate!

salary increase

Hi All,

That brings a very good question in the forum. In my case the salary has jumped appreciably and today when I talked to the attorney she gave me a cautionary note too. But then I am working for the employer for last 5 years! My labor was filed 4 years back and the salary has jumped by 60%. The designation has changed from analyst to manager. Never thought this is going to be an issue. I can talk about my post remaining same but don't know what to say but the truth when it comes to salary.

--harapatra

harapatra:

Congrats boss on your salary raise and on your promotion!

SALARY TOPIC:
It appears from your posting that the 60% increase is as compared to your LC salary over a period of 4 years. Example salary at time of LC filing was $100 in 1999 and end of 2003 / beginning of 2004 it is $160. If that is the case it should not be a red flag and is normal. It is normal to have such a salary difference as i speak from my own case where it has grown by little over 75% over last 5 years!

PROMOTION TOPIC:
Again as long as your new responsibilities includes analyst responsibilities you are in good shape (at least on paper) and you are still in the same functional area (such as IT analyst to IT Project Manager). Again speaking from personal experience!

So in short enjoy new year, salary raise and your promotion!

demand draft in US currency

Thanks KD!

I am much relieved now. There is one more thing I would like to clarify: is it OK to make the DDs here itself and save myslef the misery of going to an Indian Bank and standing in long queue?

thanks in advance
--harapatra

Hi Harapatra,
Regarding paying fee at American consulate Delhi, I have also the same question. But in American consulate Delhi website, its mentioned that fee of $335.00 per applicant can be payed in US Dollars thro' cash or traveller's check.
But I am not very sure about it, Has any one paid in US Dollars & can we pay by Cashier check? Thats the easiest of all, I believe...

KD, Whats your view about it? And how about the fee for medical test, how much is it & how can that be paid??

Thanks for your help.

somewhere I had read that you can also pay cash! Well idea is not to create unnecessary confusion at this moment. But I would really prefer to pay directly in terms of US $ . Is cashier check good enough? I have never used it in US :) Is it same as DD in India?

--harapatra

harapatra:

For regular cp which goes via NVC the payment HAS to be made in usa using a cashier check from any bank (preferrably your bank).

For AC I-140 cases which bypasses NVC and is sent directly to a consulate, payment HAS to be made @ the consulate using a Rs. demand draft (preferably)/ cash.

Here is the fee schedule based on bbay consulate web site:
http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/wwwhfees.html

thanks KD!

but where on the seb-site do they mention that it has to be only rupee draft? The table just shows the conversion rate so that people can make dd in INR. And here is the line from that page:

All fees must be paid by bank drafts and drawn on nationalized or foreign banks.

This does not say it has to be rupee only. In fact one friend of mine says that they also accept cash but in 20's.

harapatra:

You are right it does not mention that the bank draft should be in rupees or dollars! But from what I recollect the consulate accept $335 in INR equivalent! Hence on that web site they state that the fees is $335 and its Rupee equivalent is Rs 15410. And again if you get a bank draft from india in the name of "American Consulate General, Mumbai" i am not sure if they would issue a $ bank draft!

Send a private message to rohufish who has done AC I-140 with payment in bbay as recent as october 2003. He will be able to tell you how he made the payment, the format and currency used!