Frequent visit on B1/B2 Visa.

SKMEHTA

Registered Users (C)
I have 10 year ME B1/B2 visa. I came to USA first time in Oct 07. At that time I was given 3 months at PoE. So I went back to India in Jan 08, stayed for one and half months. I came again in March 08 and given 6 months at PoE. I-94 is expiring in Aug'08.
Now, I am wondering if i go back to India, say for one and half or two months, and come back in Oct'08, What are the chances I will get 6 months at PoE? Can my frequent visits to US cause any problem at PoE?

I have heard about a rule regarding how many months in a year a person on B2 visa can stay withinh a rolling year. According to this rule, a person can stay 6 months max in a rolling year. I am not sure whether this is true or not, any comment on this is appreaciated.

I don't want to file for visa extension. Because I heard if extension is filed once then next time when you come again they give you hard time.

Thanks

B1/B2 visa are meant for short trips to the U.S. They are not meant to beused for living in the U.S. with only short trips to your home country. The genral rule of thumb is that you need to stay in the U.S. for as much time as you asked during your visa interview at the consulate.

The fact that an immigration officer at the port of entry stampted your passport with a 3-month stay or 6-month stay does not mean that you can stay all that time. If you do, you are not technically violating any laws. However, you risk being turned away the next time you try to come to the U.S. with the same visa or failing to get a new visa next time you apply for one. The reason is by staying in the U.S. so long you show weak ties to your home country. And strong ties to your home country is one important requirement for getting a B1/B2 visa.

If I were you, I would wait for 12 to 14 months before coming to the States again. That way you could argue that you are spending more time outside the U.S. than in the U.S.

Ask yourself what does the word visitor mean? You will not need anyone else to answer your question.

I have heard about a rule regarding how many months in a year a person on B2 visa can stay withinh a rolling year. According to this rule, a person can stay 6 months max in a rolling year. I am not sure whether this is true or not, any comment on this is appreaciated.