Frequent travel abroad on I-485

gctechie

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,

I have an H1B valid till Jan 2005 as well as an AP valid from Aug 2004. I have a job offer which would require me to travel abroad ( out of US ) atleast once a month. Can i transfer my H1B to the new company and travel on H1B as much as i want without any problem?

Also, 1) Is there any risk in travelling on H1B even while having an AP & being in AOS stage?
2) Can i travel as many times as i want on AP? Is there any risk in travelling frequently on AP?

Finally, should i even consider this job offer - is it safer to pass up on it?! Your suggestions / comments will be much appreciated!

-Thanks in advance

Originally posted by gctechie
Also, 1) Is there any risk in travelling on H1B even while having an AP & being in AOS stage?
2) Can i travel as many times as i want on AP? Is there any risk in travelling frequently on AP?

I've never used AP to re-enter the US; always my H-1. No issues at all. The only risky area might be the time between your H-1B filing and its approval. You can work for the new employer via portability and *should* be readmitted, but no guarantees. You'll need at a minimum a receipt notice and proof of employment.

Originally posted by gctechie

You can travel as many times as you want. The problem is that they only give you 3 copies of AP on every renewal - hence, if you want to travel more than 3 times/yr, you would need to file for AP renewals more often or convince USCIS somehow (?) to give you >3 copies of approved AP.

goodluck!

-ab

atlantabhopali

You don't need more then 3 three copies of AP if you want to travel multiple times. Check following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Parole(Form I-512) for adjustment applicants will be issued valid for a period which coincides with the time normally required for completion of an adjustment application not to exceed one year. (It means that is valid for one year looking at the current status of adjustment of status processing.) It is usually valid for multiple entries. The approved Advanced Parole form is called I-512 and usually three copies of them are given. One copy for the applicant, one copy for the USCIS at the port of entry and one for the airline(so that they let you board the plane with out other valid visa.) First time you travel, you give the appropriate copies to airline and USCIS, and USCIS will stamp your copy. Subsequent times, you can just show your copy and travel.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/ap.html

usnycus,

Thanks for the info - this is news to me.. Help me understand the following:

1. What happens if you are traveling on a flights with >1 connections. Say you take off from B'bay, India on Delta to Paris, and then change flight in Paris to Air France for Atlanta. Which of the two airlines/airports would take your AP?

2. Would the airline stamp it and give it back? If not, what would you hand over to the airline the next time you travel with the same AP?

Let me know.

Thanks,

-ab

Hi,

My personal experience: I just returned back to US using my AP for the 3rd time. I've got 3 copies, but only needed one for all trips. Nobody ever took a copy from me. My very first one got stamped on 1st entry, and new I-94 was issued attached to it. For next 2 trips all I did is to show (to both airlines and immigration) my stamped AP with i94 attached and was let out/in (to my surprise this I94 is not getting changed then I leave/come back)

drO

The I94 exparation date is 1 year after my first AP entry (so they issued it exactly for 1 tear). I asked them about my status after that (as I do not expect my gc by then) and the immigration officer at the port of entry said, that even after that I won't be out of status as long as my i485 is pending (same was later confirmed by my lawyer).

drO

Originally posted by atlantabhopali
1. What happens if you are traveling on a flights with >1 connections. Say you take off from B'bay, India on Delta to Paris, and then change flight in Paris to Air France for Atlanta. Which of the two airlines/airports would take your AP?

Any additional airlines should take photocopies. In fact, California Service Center issues only two copies AP - one for USCIS officer at entry point (for first time only) and another for you. CSC does not issue 3rd copy for airlines. While traveling keep couples of copies with you. When airlines asks, show them the original and hand them over photocopies.

Originally posted by atlantabhopali
2. Would the airline stamp it and give it back? If not, what would you hand over to the airline the next time you travel with the same AP?

Airlines does not stamp on AP and they are not authorize to stamp on AP. It is similar to visa stamp on passport. Airlines does not stamp on your visa stamp or anywhere in your passport. They just need a proof that you have a valid visa/entry permit for the destination country. For that proof, showing them original AP and providing them a photocopy is good enough.