FP related problems at time of interview

maheshgajanan

Registered Users (C)
Hi Rahul, PhillyDude, JoeF, and all the knowledgeable folks at immigrationportal,

I am going for my interview next week. I am expecting some problem because my fingerprints were rejected twice because of excessively dry skin. Officially I have not heard from CIS about this rejection. But as per the advice of the DO, I have got police certificates from places I have lived in the last 5 years in lieu of the fingerprint clearance. I was told by the DO that I should give the letters to the interviewing officer.

DO tells me that CIS does NOT send letters when the second FP gets rejected. And that applicants find out only at the time of interview.

My question to you guys:

- Would you know if the officer can look at my certificates and based on those make the decision that my case can proceed to the next stage? Or does he have to send the papers to some other office which in turns makes the decision to send it to the next stage?
- Any tips on how I can reduce delay in the officer making the decision?

Thanks!
Mahesh

Ive heard CIS can use police certificates when fp's are deemed unclassifyable. however a lot has to do with the examiner's whims. its all upto him

How would I know?

Thanks Rahul!

If the examiner is going to be picky, would I find out at the end of the interview? Do they tell the applicant that such and such needs to be done before the case can forward? Or would I have to find that out from the DO?

Mahesh

Mahesh, He or she is a human too. I think if you ask very politely, I think they will answer your questions to the extent they can. Say some prayers and keep your fingers crossed. You should do fine. Good Luck.

Here's my update
I had my interview today 3rd March
I had taken police letter of from all police jurisdictions I had lived in the last 5 years. The examiner said that is sufficient and should take care of the lack of FPs. He also made me sign a statement saying I have not been fingerprinted by the police before.

Hope this helps if you have a problem like mine with unclassifiable FPs.

Mahesh

Last edited by a moderator:
maheshgajanan said:
Here's my update
I had my interview today 3rd March
I had taken police letter of from all police jurisdictions I had lived in the last 5 years. The examiner said that is sufficient and should take care of the lack of FPs. He also made me sign a sign saying I have not been fingerprinted by the police before.

Hope this helps if you have a problem like mine with unclassifiable FPs.

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

Congratulations. I may have FP problem. I had a surgery on one of my fingers. My doctor told me that there could be a problem with my finger print. To be in safe side I want to prepare myself without waiting for the last minute. If you help me out that will be really great. Here are my questions:
1. Did CIS let you know about your FP rejection first time? If not then how did you get that info?
2. Do you need to collect police certificates from different cities even though you live in one state?
3. Is there any name/# of the certificate?
4. Do you have to stop by each police station physically to collect the certificates or you can do it over the phone?

I really appreciate your time, help and advice.

Krish24

1. Did CIS let you know about your FP rejection first time? If not then how did you get that info?

I called the FBI and they will tell you the very next day if the FP was approved. USCIS never sent me any mail that the first FP was rejected. So I went to the ASC (i.e. FP center) a few times and talked to the officer in charge. Initially they kept asking me to wait and then the third time (2.5 months after 1st FP), he said he would find out and took my A#. I do not know if there was anything he did but a few days later I received another letter saying I need to come for the second FP appt.

2. Do you need to collect police certificates from different cities even though you live in one state?
Yes, that is my understanding. All they told by DO was "from all places I have lived in the last 5 years". I think it is the jurisdiction that matters. So if you have moved from one suburb of LA to another, but all of them under LAPD, I think you need one letter from LAPD. If the police departments of the cities are different, I think you should get one from each police dept.

3. Is there any name/# of the certificate?
The letter is called police clearance letter for immigration. It is basically a records check for you in their files.

4. Do you have to stop by each police station physically to collect the certificates or you can do it over the phone?
No, for all three police depts I had to get it from, I could do it over the phone. It does cost some money (MOs or checks depending on the PD) and it adds up pretty quick when there are lots of them. My experience getting the letters was really good. All three department sent back information within 7-10 days of my request.

Here's an idea I used. I asked the police department to send me two copies in case one gets lost when I send to USCIS. All three departments sent me two copies for the same processing fee I had sent. For them, it is not a whole lot of extra work to get a second copy out when they have everything researched your case. Al they have to do it is print twice and sign twice. I submitted one set of copy to the USCIS yesterday but I am holding onto the second set in case they lose it or somehow were to ask for it again.

Hope that helps

Mahesh

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Mahesh. I really appreciate your help. I will try my best to get all the papers asap.

maheshgajanan said:
Krish

It is FBI Fingerprint Status (304) 625-2000

Are you aware of the useful PDF that our moderator Rahul Kumar has created? You will find it on this thread http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136848
Look for the NameCheck.pdf
It has a wealth of information incl this #.

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

I did my FP and called that # to find out status. I couldn't talk to live customer service for that dept. Got a recorded message that was telling to call the service center to find out the status. I was also looking for the service center # but no luck. Could you please tell me what to do now? Thanks.

Kris
It has been a while since I called FBI for FP status but if I remember correctly you should be able to press 0, get to an operator and then tell them you are applying for CZ. The operator would transfer to someone who can tell you FP status.
I had called a few times and was able to talk to someone who could give me immediate status.

The other alternative which is slightly painful is to visit the FP center (ASC) and talk to the officer there. They have access to the system and can tell you right away if your FP passed. But they make a fuss about it because I do not think they want to encourage applicants to come there for status. BTW, these officers can even tell you if your name check cleared i.e. if they want to tell you. I know all this for a fact because the substitute officer the day I went was really nice and told me about my FP and namecheck statuses. Also, FP and Namecheck can always be found from the DO. Very painful option if you have to go to a DO like the LA DO.

Please try FBI as I have suggested and let me know if you do not get thru.
Make it a point to call between 8am and 5pm EASTERN since they are somewhere on the East Coast.

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for the valuable info and quick reply. I called FBI around 11.00 am today and no luck. I called them again at 3.00pm and switch board operator told me that the FP dept. was closed for the day and gave me their direct #. I will try tomorrow also and let you know the update. Thanks once again.

Hi Mahesh,

Good Morning. I talked to a lady at FP dept of FBI. She said that they received my FP and sent the result to INS. She could not tell me anything else regarding the result. Would you please suggest me what would be my next step to find out the result. Thanks.

krish24,

Did you get your fingerprints done yesterday like mentioned in your previous postings? Can the FBI really tell you they've completed the check the same day as getting the FPs done at the ASC?

Thanks -- I go for mine next Thursday so I'm interested to know how fast this occurs.

CanTex

CanTex said:
krish24,

Did you get your fingerprints done yesterday like mentioned in your previous postings? Can the FBI really tell you they've completed the check the same day as getting the FPs done at the ASC?

Thanks -- I go for mine next Thursday so I'm interested to know how fast this occurs.

CanTex

Yes I had my FP yesterday and they sent the result same day too. So fast :confused: .