FP did not clear

jp2007

Registered Users (C)
My wife's finger printing did not clear even after second attempt.
The Boston DO immigration officer asked to get a Police Clearance !!!
Can anybody tell me how to go about getting a police clearance?
Is the police clearance town by town?
We lived in 3 towns in MA in the past 5 years. Would we need to get police clearance from all the 3 towns?
What do we ask at the Police Station? What kind of clearance is it called.

thanks
jp2007

I got my GC way back before all of the complicated computer FP mechanics. We had to go to the local police department to get a clearance and our fingerprints done. We phoned them up, asked them the procedure and they told us when to show up.

It took about a half hour and consisted of filling in a form and getting our fingerprints taken in the room normally reserved for newly arrested folks. It was fairly easy.

Did your DO tell you where to go or what form you needed?

I would expect that you only need to go to the PD in the town you currently live in.

I would expect that you only need to go to the PD in the town you currently live in.

I could be wrong but I read somewhere in N-400 instruction or Guide to Naturalization that you need to get clearance from every town you lived within last 5 years.

Hello jp2007,
Yes, you have to go to those three cities you have lived for the past five years. At the police station, explain to them the problem. And let them know that the USCIS office at Boston wants "Good Conduct Letter".
Hope this helps.

template for good conduct letter

Does anyone have a template for this "good conduct letter."
The Police Dept don't seem to have a clue as to what is required.
I told them I need Police clearance and all they kept doing was transferring me from one person to another.

Any help is appreciated.
By the way will INS (or whatever they are called now) send us a letter indicating what exactly is required... After our last visit a few days later we got the FP notice in the mail. I am hoping that they send some instructions regarding what we need to supplement the FP

thanks

Hi jp2007,

You should go to the police dept in each of these cities and ask for a 'police clearance certificate' or 'police record check' or 'local Arrest History'. No fingerprinting is usually done (since that will not clear anyway). It usually involves a name search of the local police dept master database for any arrest information.

My wife has her interview next month and she could be in the same boat! She was fingerprinted three times and everytime I called FBI and they give this standard reply 'prints received, processed and send back the same day'. So, I am still not sure if fPs cleared. There was no mention of this in the interview letter. She is planning to get the police clearance anyway and take it with her to the interview. Anybody else with similar experience?

Thanks!

Personal Criminal Record Request

I am in Massachusetts and I am having a tough time trying to get something from the local police stations. 2 out of the 3 police stations have directed me to a common form (state wide) Called "Personal Criminal Record Request Form"

On the form it does indicate
** please check here if you need this for immigration/adoption purpose

I Wonder if this one consolidated form will work.
Here is a link to the form

http://www.lawpd.com/forms/criminal.pdf

Any advise from anyone in Massachusetts with similar problem

thanks

Letter received

I received one of the 3 letters (We lived in 3 towns in the past 5 yrs) for my wife.

The letter goes something like this
=======================================
Date : April 25, 2007
Re: Record Clearance
To: Whom it may concern

Name: <WIFE's NAME>
SSN: <Wifes SSN>

The file of the ABC Police Department have been checked and indicate that he above Named Person has NO CRIMINAL RECORD nor any incident that involved this police Department.
Sincerely

XYZ
ABC Police Dept.
Tel Number: 111-222-3333
=========================================
They have also included a sheet that shows the results of the database query that shows no result returned.

IS THIS LETTER GOOD ENOUGH. Is this what the guys at USCIS are looking for?

thanks

got the interview letter

Not sure I understand the process and sequence in which USCIS expects the paperwork.

We went to the Boston DO and submitted the letters from the police department on May 4 (Friday). They made her take an oath and provide some information about the police clearance docs.

On May 7th (Monday) we got the interview letter from them for June 26th.
It was dated 1st May and it was mailed on May 3rd.

Looks like she would have been called for the interview even though her FP have not cleared...
It's a good thing we went and found out that her FP had not cleared and did the needful or else I guess at the Interview they would have asked her to get the Police clearance docs.

jp2007