FP call to set appointment

josie

Registered Users (C)
Pls Advise. Call to set appointment for FP?

I recently filed I485 and got receipt notice. The notice also indicated that I should call the USCIS customer service number to set appointment for FP at a local ASC. I've been reading the postings on this forum and everyone seems to get an appointment notice for FP instead of their having to set appointments themselves. Is this normal? Pls. advise. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in similar suituation

I filed 485 on sep 2nd, received receipt notice with date sep 6th. I receipt notice is from csc service center on form 797 C. This is a revised form in January this year.

It says that I need to setup the appointment. I called ASC and they asked for ASC number, I told them I don't have one, I only have a A# number, alien reg number or applicant number. They gave me a appointment with a confirmation number.

The form 797 which is updated in 2003, doesn't have this data of applicant setting up the fingerprint appointment.

I am thinking of dropping in before the appointment date as the appointments are in late october in portland.

Thanks
ayya

Hi, guys:

what is the full message in your receipt notice ? some people recently received approval notice which also reqires to call for ASC appointment ? thanks,

Is it " In processing your case we have reached the point where we need to make an appointment to go to one of our ASC to have some additional biometrics (fingerprint, photo and signature) taken.

call customer service at 800.375.5283 to schedule your appointment.
We cannot complete certain steps in processing until you appear for this appointment. you must appear for your appointment within 84 days from the date of this notice.

When i filed I-485, I received a receipt notice. This is usually called notice of action or form I797C. Till now, when people recd receipt notice, they will also receive a Finger print appointment letter a couple of days early or later. But in the above mentioned case, the I485 receipt notice said, the applicant should call in and setup a Biometric appointment. (which is unusual), I may or may not receive the FP appointment letter.

I went to the local ASC office today and got my code3 that is my Biometric (sign, photo and FP) done.(I walked in , as the current appointment dates are mid october). The incharge of the office said, the receipt notice looked very strange and is not usually recd by Employment based I485's. She asked to get code 3 done and said this could be due to the some new change, which she is not aware off.

I would suggest Josie to all visit the ASC office and get the code 3 done, instead of spending days researching this.

Thanks
ayya

Same Situation

I too got a similar notice. My I-797C notice of action mentions that I have to call and make my appointment. I just received my notice yesterday. I'm in TX. are most people who are filing recently getting this?

FP self appointment

Hi all,
I filed I-485 in June 2005 in CSC but could not locate the place in I-797C where it instructs us to take FP appointment by ourself.
Is this instruction present in front page or back page of I-797C ?
can you please tell us where exactly it is located ?
At the end of I-797C notice, it says "Form I-797C (Rev. 08/31/04) N". Does this revision 08/31/04 has facility of self FP appointment.
Thanks

fingerprinting

It gives the details on the front of the I-797C where it says that we have to call customer service and set up the appointment.
Also, the bottom of the I-797C form says: "Form I-797C (Rev.01/31/05)N"

FP Appointment

The receipt notice fr VSC (I-797) has several paragraphs. The last one says:
If this receipt is for an I-90, I485, or I-698 application
Biometrics - (fingerprint, photo, signature)
The next step is to have your biometrics taken at a USCIS ASC. Call customer service at 1-800-375-5283 to schedule your appt.
Then, it tells you what to bring to the appt.

I called the 1-800 number and they gave me a confirmation number. Went for my biometrics on the 15th. They seemed surprised (or have not seen this kind of instructions before). I think, mostly, they've encountered actual fingerprint appointment letters.

In anycase, this must be the way they do things now.

Thanks for info Josie

I'll call and get my appointment done on Monday. I just went to the ASC today and they mentioned I can call and make my appointment, but kept referring to the letter. I think they need an appointment letter and probably don't know about this new format.
Once you have the confirmation number, do they pull it up on the system and see your appointment? How do you convince them that this is a new format? I kept referring to the note on the I-797C but they kept mentioning the letter!

Thanks

I mentioned and showed my appt number but they didn't seem very interested in it. I think they have record of my having an appointment, just not the different message on the notice. Their only concern was that the notice did not mention if it's for a fp only, or all 3 (fp, photo and signature). The lady who did the process decided to do all 3 since she didn't want me to have to return for something that's missing, which was what happened to another person.

I got the similar mesg..

Hi Guys,
I got similar mesg. and took appointment for biometrics. But my appointment date is Oct 21 2005, Can I go before my actual date as a Walk-in ?
Is there any good time(like 3-4 PM) ?

Thanks Josie,Ramayya!!

Please advice.

Thanks
Ravi

Last edited by a moderator:
Is CSC FP set by calling?

Guys,

I called CSC trying to set up a FP appoitment. But they said they did not make a FP appointment. We have to wait for the mail.

How come many of us here have made FP appointment by calling the 1-800 number? Is such a rule only fit for Texas, VSC center, not for CSC center?

Anyone from CSC has successfully made a FP appointment through calling 1-800 ... number? You input is urgently needed.

Thanks,

Kitten

seems those who applied after aug 15th have the 1-800 number in their reciepts. otherwise, you have to wait for FP notice.

As an update, I actually got FP appointment a few days after I had FP taken. The I485 ND: 9-7-05 (told me to make appt for FP)
FP taken: 9-15-05
FP ND: 9-14-05 (I received 9-17-05)

That means, the notice came out a week after the receipt notice for the I485. I'm not sure why there's a redundancy here but it's just causing more confusion. I can only assume they're trying to make some changes but have not ironed out the details yet.

Question for Josie

Josie, which ASC did you get your biometrics taken at? How long did the whole process take?

I too am in the VSC jurisdication and when I called for the FP appointment, the earliest availability in Boston is on November 4. Manchester, NH is not a whole lot better at October 17.

ramayya said:
When i filed I-485, I received a receipt notice. This is usually called notice of action or form I797C. Till now, when people recd receipt notice, they will also receive a Finger print appointment letter a couple of days early or later. But in the above mentioned case, the I485 receipt notice said, the applicant should call in and setup a Biometric appointment. (which is unusual), I may or may not receive the FP appointment letter.

I went to the local ASC office today and got my code3 that is my Biometric (sign, photo and FP) done.(I walked in , as the current appointment dates are mid october). The incharge of the office said, the receipt notice looked very strange and is not usually recd by Employment based I485's. She asked to get code 3 done and said this could be due to the some new change, which she is not aware off.

I would suggest Josie to all visit the ASC office and get the code 3 done, instead of spending days researching this.

Thanks
ayya

Ramayya,

Which service centere you belong and which ASC you did your Code 3 biometrics.

I got my 485 receipt notice yesterday from my office (by FAX) and it mentioned the wording mentioned above that I should setup the FP appointment by myself..

Got that scheduled for tomorrow.

Cases are with VSC ND=9/16/05. EAD cards are received today with "No FP" written on them.

Joise -- are you supposed to do anything else after setting up and giving FP (based on 485 receipt) and if you later receive one another appointment for FP? Are you doing anything?

I don't mind giving as many fingerprints as required, rather than be called "out of process" somewhere in this confusion.

pvr726

I called the 1-800 # and the lady told me to go to the appt (10-3-05) on the FP notice just to be on the safe side.

Cancel 2nd appt?

Ravi
The earliest appointment I got from the 1-800 # is Oct 18th here in CA, seems like there is a long wait. Did you try the walk-in instead, did that work?
Also people who scheduled appt based on the 485 notice, did you guys go for biometrics again if you got the FP notice? Or is just 1 appt enough and then we have to cancel 2nd appt?

ravi2004 said:
Hi Guys,
I got similar mesg. and took appointment for biometrics. But my appointment date is Oct 21 2005, Can I go before my actual date as a Walk-in ?
Is there any good time(like 3-4 PM) ?

Thanks Josie,Ramayya!!

Please advice.

Thanks
Ravi