Found out some details about backlog

Hi all

by a chance me and my friend met Uscis employee and had conversation my friend works in another gov institution so USCIS guy was bit frank with him as they shared some experiences

I wanted to question many things but i didn't

He said that NY office has 4000 cases in backlog and NJ has around 3000. And according to rule that interview must be held in 40 days after submission he said only 20%-25% of cases are scheduled for interviews in this time frame. I assume that if 20% is scheduled in 40 days then 100% must be in 200 days? at least roughly?

What are your experience did anyone waited more than 200 days? I mean NY or NJ applicants

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem is that the asylum offices have more to do than just interview affirmative asylum applicants. They are also responsible for conducting credible fear interviews, to determine if those who are in expedited removal have a serious enough claim to go before an immigration judge and request asylum defensively. According to this article (http://www.asylumist.com/2013/08/16/the-end-of-asylum-as-we-know-it/) there has been a four fold increase in credible fear claims in the past four years. Because the credible fear interviews are done in detention (which costs the government money) they get first priority. I imagine that most of the asylum officers have been busy for the past year or so doing credible fear interviews.

I do know that there have been a lot of asylum officer job openings posted in the past year and I have heard that they are hiring lots of new asylum officers to deal with the increased case load. But hiring government workers takes time. When I applied for a federal job many years ago it took almost a year before I was hired, background checks were completed, and I started working.

Even if you get an interview, you still end up waiting after. After repeated contact from my lawyer, my asylum officer finally called him back, only to say that a supervisor is reviewing the case. My decision was supposed to be delivered Oct 22. Do supervisors review all decisions? What is taking so long?

I think all the decisions are reviewed by supervisors. In some cases, AO agrees and supervisor doesn't agree or viceversa or both agree/disagree. In case of disagreement, the case is either denied, referred or called for second round of interview for additional questions. In my case, 3 rounds.

So since I was supposed to pick up my decision on Oct 22 (but they didn't even call me to tell me it would be delayed) I wonder how likely it is that they disagreed on my case. Maybe it was just late in processing/forgotten somewhere? Waiting is hard but I don't know what I would do if I get a denial. My whole world would crash around me.

There are so many reasons as to why our interviews and interview decisions are late or delayed. I applied at Chicago office, which is fairly fast and has less numbers of applications compared to NY and NJ. But I find myself waiting for almost 200 days before getting an interview slot. It is true that the asylum offices are scheduling interviews based on a “last in, first out” system. But its not as direct to say that 20-25% are scheduled in time and so it translates to 100% in 200 days. Yes, 20-25% are done on time, but the rest, God knows when we will every receive our interview slots. Lets not forget that when we eventually receive the interviews, then we graduate to another block, where we now wait another so many Fu**ing days for the decision.

I don't mean to sound as pessimist as I have, but this whole waiting game is ludicrous and undeserving for all of us. Has US immigration really deteriorated to a game of chance? 25% in time and the rest, bits and pieces of available slots randomly over the calendar? Let me stop myself from being made a victim of the eroded system. I just wish they would streamline their systems better.

Waz!

Hi all

by a chance me and my friend met Uscis employee and had conversation my friend works in another gov institution so USCIS guy was bit frank with him as they shared some experiences

I wanted to question many things but i didn't

He said that NY office has 4000 cases in backlog and NJ has around 3000. And according to rule that interview must be held in 40 days after submission he said only 20%-25% of cases are scheduled for interviews in this time frame. I assume that if 20% is scheduled in 40 days then 100% must be in 200 days? at least roughly?

What are your experience did anyone waited more than 200 days? I mean NY or NJ applicants

thanks

please forget mathematic my friend , we have any friend here waited less than me and they went to the interview in the same office
for exam my case has pending 11 months and they waited about 4 months 2 months and 7 months