Forms/Process for Minors to Naturalize

manish_mohnot

Registered Users (C)
Could someone guide me for a process to be used for US citizenship applications for minor child?

I, my wife and my son, 8 yrs old, are eligible for citizenship by virtue of 4 yrs, 9 months after Green Card. I understand that I and my wife would be completing N-400 to apply.. However I was not certain for which form to use for my son.

Also does anybody have any experience of how the whole process works for minors.. as in are they called for interview? are they tested? etc. etc.

manish_mohnot said:
Could someone guide me for a process to be used for US citizenship applications for minor child?

I, my wife and my son, 8 yrs old, are eligible for citizenship by virtue of 4 yrs, 9 months after Green Card. I understand that I and my wife would be completing N-400 to apply.. However I was not certain for which form to use for my son.

Also does anybody have any experience of how the whole process works for minors.. as in are they called for interview? are they tested? etc. etc.

If either parent is a US Citizen then child automatically becomes a US Citizen. Then the minor child has to apply with form N-600. So if you are a US Citizen then apply for N-600 for your son. If you are not then wait for your wife to file N-400, complete her US Citizenship process and after that apply for N-600 for your son.

The steps are:
1. Your wife becomes a US Citizen after completing N-400 processing.
2. You apply for a US Passport for your wife.
3. After that is obtained apply for a US Passport for your son.
4. Apply with form N-600 for your son. N-600 will take some time and that is why complete steps 2 and 3 before applying for N-600. An N-600 will give a Ceretificate of Citizenship for your son. N-600 processing can take upto 2 years and can only be applied by minors. N-600 is simple: No test but there is an interview wherein your son along with you/your wife are asked some very simple questions. Basically it is a document check.

Thanks N400Applier.

Since I and my wife would be applying N400 this week.. you would suggest that we finish our process, get US passport for ourselves and my son.. So then is there a need for N600 at that time?

Thanks.

You'll find that getting a passport for your son (once either you or your wife becomes a USC) is much quicker than getting a Certificate of Citizenship (N-600). Reason being, the passport comes from Dept of State, whereas the N-600 is dealt by USCIS...

As far as I can see, the main reason for filing N-600 (even after passport) is to provide unexpiring proof that the individual is a USC. Passports expire, and can be lost during travel, whereas a citizenship certificate can be locked away somewhere safe in case it is ever needed.

manish_mohnot said:
Thanks N400Applier.

Since I and my wife would be applying N400 this week.. you would suggest that we finish our process, get US passport for ourselves and my son.. So then is there a need for N600 at that time?

Thanks.
This is a tricky issue. Some parents feel comfortable just getting a US Passport for their child. Others feel that they also need to obtain the Certificate of Citizenship. Once one of the parents becomes a US Citizen getting a US passport is very quick for their child.

Should you also apply N-600 for your son so that you can have a certificate of Citizenship is upto you. See what others in this forum reply and also speak with a laywer before deciding to apply N-600. N-600 is fairly painless but a long wait.

Un-expiring, painless, long wait. That about sums it up. The main drawback, it costs money.

But remember, a valid US passport is considered proof of citizenship.

One thing to know is that an N-600 submission doesn't require original documents (which is a good thing, given how long it takes). You submit copies and then bring the originals to the interview (a la N-400).

As a result, you can submit an N-600 right away and still apply for a passport right away.

My husband and I both became USC last year. Our 10 year old daughter became USC at the same time. We had applied for Proof of citizenship last month because we think we better have that piece fo paper (just in case her passport won't work). we hand delivered the N600 because the DO is not far from where we live. The officer there told us it will be done in 2 month time. We got a receipt from her for our $255 and was told to keep it in place because there will not be any NOA. We have not applied for her passport yet because we prefer having her own paper instead fo using ours. Both of us have our passport for a good while. I plan to take my daughter aboard this summer. Hope this answer some of your questions.

Minor N 600

Quick question folks what to fill in F of part 3 in N600 (Have you previously applied for US citizenship certificate or US passport) YES OR NO
I have applied US passport for my minor son and still waiting to get it's only 3 weeks and it was regular processing.

I put "yes", and, since she already had her passport, included a copy of the main page of her passport with the N-600. That was last June. We hope to hear something *soon*.

My husband and I both became USC last year. Our 10 year old daughter became USC at the same time. We had applied for Proof of citizenship last month because we think we better have that piece fo paper (just in case her passport won't work). we hand delivered the N600 because the DO is not far from where we live. The officer there told us it will be done in 2 month time. We got a receipt from her for our $255 and was told to keep it in place because there will not be any NOA. We have not applied for her passport yet because we prefer having her own paper instead fo using ours. Both of us have our passport for a good while. I plan to take my daughter aboard this summer. Hope this answer some of your questions.

What is the process of "Hand Delivering" at local DO, do you need to take an appointment, if you do not take an appointment, and just walk in, will they entertain you?