Former Chinese citizens, did you give up your hukou?

kukumjacka

Registered Users (C)
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but this seemed the more appropriate place to post this...

My gf gave up her Chinese passport a few years ago when she became a Singapore citizen. Now she's in the US, and once I get my citizenship, sometime this year, I will sponsor her Green Card. She won't give up her Singapore passport since Singapore doesn't allow dual citizenship so most likely she'll have the Green Card for the rest of her life.
When she gave up her Chinese citizenship she was allowed to keep her old Chinese passport and no one asked her about her hukou. Normally, I understand that upon renouncing Chinese citizenship, you're asked to cancel your hukou as well. But she kept hers since it's tied to property she has in China, bank accounts etc. She resided in China in 2013/14 using Q2 visas and her hukou was still valid. However, her hukou expired a few months ago and she is wondering if she can renew it.

There doesn't seem to be a connection between Chinese passports and hukous. Or at the very least, they way I understand it, to get a passport in China you need a hukou, but a passport won't get you a hukou. Furthermore, online research reveals that while hukou is in a national database, the passport database isn't tied to the hukou one.
So, if anyone here has renounced their Chinese citizenship, and somehow kept their hukou, please post your experiences. Or even the contrary.