Foreign Travel after Naturalization

zamindar

Registered Users (C)
Is it possible for dual citizens to travel outside of the US right after naturlization (while waiting for the US passport) in case of an emergency? Thanks.

Short answer - no.

Long answer - it depends where you're going, and whether you feel like subjecting yourself to the hassle of getting back into the US without some means to identify yourself as a US citizen. Remember - while you are waiting for your passport, you don't have your naturalization certificate (sent in with passport appl.) or your old GC, so as far as USCIS border inspectors are concerned, you are just a visitor.

I have read somewhere that in case of an emergency you can go to a passport center in person and get it the same day by providing the natz. cert. and other required documents. Has anyone done so?

Thanks!

zamindar said:
I have read somewhere that in case of an emergency you can go to a passport center in person and get it the same day by providing the natz. cert. and other required documents. Has anyone done so?

Thanks!
You are absolutely right. I have seen first hand cases wherein the passport was issued in just one day.

Until the end of the year, you should be able to get back into the US using a naturalization certificate. After that, you should still be able to do it by car from Mexico and Canada for another year or two.

The trick is getting into the other country without proof of your US citizenship.

I hope that I'm right here -- I'm taking the oath on Thursday next week and heading to Montreal the next day. My expectation is to enter Canada on a Canadian passport and then present my fresh naturalization certificate on the way back (and then, once back, immediately apply for a US passport).

Flydog said:
Until the end of the year, you should be able to get back into the US using a naturalization certificate.

...but not if you've already sent it off with your passport application!

Certainly you can get a passport within 1-2 days, but it requires a genuine travel emergency and you to present the airline ticket and other required docs in person at one of the regional offices.

You can apply at any passport agency directly (appointment and proof of
travel ticket is required) . I applied mine and got the passport in 3.5 hrs.
I had an appointement at 8:00 AM in Washington DC and they gave the
passport to me at 11:30 AM.