Foreign Trained Physician wanting to practice in the USA (US Citizen)

abumiqdad

Hi All.

Any good resources here on foreign medical practitioner (UK medical school) wanting to practice in the USA?

no visa is needed (US citizen) but i wonder if the path is straight forward? Anyone had any experience?

This is an immigration forum
You”re an American citizen “congrats”. LOl

You should call up a few medical schools and get some legit guidance

All you”re gonna get here are opnions on that specific question you asked

Actually it takes 2 seconds of googling for anyone to find out...
And I would have thought that someone who made it through medical school could find this out really quickly ...I’m not sure why everyone keeps adding here without contributing!!

but anyway here is the link so any further people looking and finding this thread can find the answer ... the page clearly explains the pathway via licensing and hospital residency

http://www.usmle-courses.eu/license-requirements.htm

All you”re gonna get here are opnions on that specific question you asked
Ummm yeah that’s normally what people expect when they post a question on a forum...

Thanks @SusieQQQ , did a lot of online research as well, but asking here in the event that people know some other resources that i might have missed. And it varies state by state as well (kinda like insurance).

Well, returning citizen might not know anymore than newly migrated LPR, so worth a shot by asking on immigration forums, as there will usually be people that had gone through the same path before. So pointers from anyone that have had any experience would definitely help.

Thanks @SusieQQQ , did a lot of online research as well, but asking here in the event that people know some other resources that i might have missed. And it varies state by state as well (kinda like insurance).

Well, returning citizen might not know anymore than newly migrated LPR, so worth a shot by asking on immigration forums, as there will usually be people that had gone through the same path before. So pointers from anyone that have had any experience would definitely help.

Uh-huh, and as with any profession in which licensing is involved (a number of medical fields, legal etc) there is plenty of official information online. I believe the link I posted did talk about the existence of different state requirements (which by the way also makes a general answer not necessarily useful if your friend is not going to the same state).

I know plenty of people who immigrated here and practice as doctors, surgeons, dentists. (Nearly every person from my high school class who did medicine has ended up in the US.) They all had to write the exams and do residency as per the pages linked to earlier, regardless of what state they ended up in. No short-cuts.

1) Pass the USMLE exams (Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS, Step 3) and become ECFMG certified.
2) Apply for a residency position (e.g. Internal Medicine residency programs last 3 years), you have to complete a US residency regardless of your foreign experience.
3) When the residency is completed you will be Board Eligible and will be able to find work in US hospitals/clinics. You can then pass the Board Exam to become Board Certified physician in your own specialty.