• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Foreign documents in a country

Ricardo7

So I come from Indonesia and our government has its own curriculum and by the time we graduated high school we will receive a high school diploma called 'Ijazah SMA'. However, I attended a private international school that uses the Cambridge University A Levels curriculum. So I currently have an A Level certificate with 3 subject passes which I got after completing Grade 12 and is accepted for entry into American universities. I asked Britsimon this question but he was unsure of the exact action an individual CO will do. Does anyone have any experience using foreign high school diplomas in a country?

So I come from Indonesia and our government has its own curriculum and by the time we graduated high school we will receive a high school diploma called 'Ijazah SMA'. However, I attended a private international school that uses the Cambridge University A Levels curriculum. So I currently have an A Level certificate with 3 subject passes which I got after completing Grade 12 and is accepted for entry into American universities. I asked Britsimon this question but he was unsure of the exact action an individual CO will do. Does anyone have any experience using foreign high school diplomas in a country?

It’s not uncommon to use school diplomas from different countries. Occasionally the CO will need to confirm the qualification with the “home” country, in this case if they decide they need to confirm with the London embassy about the validity of the A levels they will do that. I’m sure there is wide familiarity with A levels though...

It’s not uncommon to use school diplomas from different countries. Occasionally the CO will need to confirm the qualification with the “home” country, in this case if they decide they need to confirm with the London embassy about the validity of the A levels they will do that. I’m sure there is wide familiarity with A levels though...
So after I attend the interview does this mean I will probably be in AP? The US embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia is very lenient since they accept degrees beyond high school and never asked for any financial proofs. We probably only have about 20 case numbers getting interviewed each DV year so I think I am probably the first person facing this problem here xD. I would be delighted to see another fellow DV winner facing this issue and how it was resolved.

So after I attend the interview does this mean I will probably be in AP? The US embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia is very lenient since they accept degrees beyond high school and never asked for any financial proofs. We probably only have about 20 case numbers getting interviewed each DV year so I think I am probably the first person facing this problem here xD. I would be delighted to see another fellow DV winner facing this issue and how it was resolved.

Well no-one can tell you how any individual CO will react to your case, or what they understand or not about A levels. I am fairly sure you will not be the first person with A levels they see.
Curious why you think only about 10% of Indonesian DV selectees pursue their cases, not that it’s really relevant.

Well no-one can tell you how any individual CO will react to your case, or what they understand or not about A levels. I am fairly sure you will not be the first person with A levels they see.
Curious why you think only about 10% of Indonesian DV selectees pursue their cases, not that it’s really relevant.
Well if u see the results of DV winners from Indonesia its usually about the 150-200 range while in Xarthius website it shows only about 20 each year shows issued. Why I think its relevant is because this means our embassy have very little DV experience and the diversity in its winners. Besides, international schools that uses the A Levels curriculum here can be counted using our fingers. Even our own public universities won't recognize A levels.

Btw, thanks Susie for the insight of what might happen

Even our own public universities won't recognize A levels.

But that’s a political decision, not an academic one, if I understand it correctly.
Anyway there’s nothing you can do about it. Present your certificate and if the CO decides you have to go on AP till it’s confirmed as acceptable, then you go on AP.

Yeah ur right about that. Thanks for ur help Susie! Any DV winners with this type of problem please share ur experience

In Tanzania, you can ask the government/exam board to do an equivalence certificate, basically comparing your GCSE/GCE with the local exam standards. Does your govt/exam board do something like that? Might be worth a try, if that's an option.

In Tanzania, you can ask the government/exam board to do an equivalence certificate, basically comparing your GCSE/GCE with the local exam standards. Does your govt/exam board do something like that? Might be worth a try, if that's an option.
Our government do have these types of equivalency services. However, its only available for higher education degrees like a completed Bachelor's/Masters/Doctorate and it is only typically used to convince the employer that u are indeed qualified for the job. Meanwhile A levels is only equivalent to a high school diploma.

Hi Ricardo, did you manage to get an interview?