for shamshon

Gilbert

Shamshon,

I read your message elsewhere about travel issues. As PRs, you and I can obtain either a Refugee Travel Document and a Reentry Permit. It is really up to us.

The RTD allows visa-free entry to a small number of countries. The RP does not (at least to my knowledge). But it is good for two years. The RTD is only one.

For visiting Canada, all you need is your green card.

Gilbert
Thanks for your reply.
When you read carefully the cartegorization of eligibilty for a refugee travel document. One of the category includes: if you are a permenant resident as a result of being an asylee or refugee. This means that even though we both have green cards, we are may not be eligible for re-entry permit. I think it is better this way since the reentry permit takes a longer time to be issued (almost a year according to processing time) Were you able to obtain a re-entry permit?

ALL permanent residents are eligible for a reentry permit, regardless of how they obtained their status.

Also if you leave the US for more than one year, you MUST have a reentry permit to come back.

oh ok
i think it is still better to wait for RTD since the renetry permit takes a year now (processing time for renetry permit is 5/21/02)

agree

I agree with you. In addition to the longer wait time, there are also visa requirements for countries like Germany (indirectly much of Western Europe).

So I would not get a RP unless I am gone for more than one year.

Originally posted by shamshon
oh ok
i think it is still better to wait for RTD since the renetry permit takes a year now (processing time for renetry permit is 5/21/02)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I have RTD, can I go back to my native country to see my relative who's sick seriously? I mean, I go back not for having fun or so on.
Thx....

Originally posted by PaU^_^PaU
If I have RTD, can I go back to my native country to see my relative who's sick seriously? I mean, I go back not for having fun or so on.
Thx....

I'll suggest u to call on ur senator and tell him all of the mess in order to gain his or her sympathy

Thx....
I think you may face 2 problems. One, you will go back to your old country and face the people who persecuted you. Do you realize what this means? For one thing, you are going back to the people who hurt you and in their ports they will check your RTD and discover that you are a dissident and that you decided that they opress their people. What do you expect them to do? Do not you think they will hurt you? Another serious problem is how are you going to be credible? The major point that an asylee makes during his or request for asylum is his or her fear of returning home. If you went home, this will totally negate your premise and will take away your credibilty. I feel horrible for your situation but please think carefully of what you just wrote. I know INS (BCIS aka bureau of crazy incomptent sh.ts) is a horrible bureaucratic entity but you need to be more aware of the seriousness of your situation. We all miss our old countries but we need to mourn our loss. We have so many losses and we can get stuck if we cling to them instead of accepting them and realizing that our life is richer by the drastic changes that we endured. We need to realize that we will never go back unless miracles happen and regimes change or rather the majority that opressed us decided to be more tolerant. In my own situation, the majority that opressed me will never change thanks to freaken Bush who made them more hateful and more radical. Sorry for the rant
Good luck

Originally posted by kelvin2088
I'll suggest u to call on ur senator and tell him all of the mess in order to gain his or her sympathy
That is a no no, under no any circumstance can you go back to your country your asylum status will automatically be cancelled.I lost 2 of my sisters since i came to the US,but i never even thought about going back home however much i wanted to.

This is a very very unwise thing to do, especially after 911.

Thx....