For CGI-NY, what exactly did you include in your SC application?

JPBoston

Registered Users (C)
My entire SC application was sent back because I apparently did not apply in duplicate. I have a feeling however that the person who sent it back works in the OCI cell because they kicked back my OCI application as well (I had submitted SC and OCI applications in one mailed package) and the list of deficient issues were all written by one person. I wonder if this OCI cell person made a mistake about the SC application requirements.

Here is what I had originally sent for SC application that was rejected and sent back:

1. Completed, signed original SC application
2. Photocopy of above SC application
3. Last held Indian passport
4. Photocopy of first 5 pages and last 2 pages of last Indian passport
5. Photocopy of personal information pages of new US passport
6. SC fee certified check for $175
7. Additional certified check for $10 for return fees by Priority Mail
8. Cover letter explaining what I had sent in

I followed exactly what the SC instructions said to do: Instructions

What am I missing here? I am planning to re-submit everything above with a second duplicate set of supporting docs but people, surely I did not mess it up the first time. People who got their SC successfully from CGI-NY, can you tell me what you had done? Thanks.

JP

JP, back in June, for SC, I submitted a copy of my NC as well, since it was mentioned as a required document in the application form and notarized the application too. The NC copy and notarization are the only differences I see.

JP, back in June, for SC, I submitted a copy of my NC as well, since it was mentioned as a required document in the application form and notarized the application too. The NC copy and notarization are the only differences I see.

Yeah redbaron, I have been following the SC threads ever since they made this a requirement and do remember when they asked for NC and notorization. They (CGI-NY) don't require either of those now as can be seen from the SC instructions PDF link I had included above. My question was really whether a complete set of duplicate documents was required because the instructions do not ask for these. In the end, I'm going to make this easy on myself and resubmit the damn application in duplicate and be done with it. I just feel that based on the SC instructions currently out there on the CGI-NY site, I did not incorrectly submit my SC application the first time around.

Yeah redbaron, I have been following the SC threads ever since they made this a requirement and do remember when they asked for NC and notorization. They (CGI-NY) don't require either of those now as can be seen from the SC instructions PDF link I had included above. My question was really whether a complete set of duplicate documents was required because the instructions do not ask for these. In the end, I'm going to make this easy on myself and resubmit the damn application in duplicate and be done with it. I just feel that based on the SC instructions currently out there on the CGI-NY site, I did not incorrectly submit my SC application the first time around.

JP, like you say, it is better to err on the side of caution and send two sets. If it makes sense to you, this is how I interpret the document list.
Set 1: Original form +it's photocopy + photocopy of documents mentioned in the instructions.
Set 2: Same as above.
Cover letter.
Separate Money Orders for the fee and mailing charge.

Just a thought - you mentioned that they no longer require a copy of NC or notarization. Since I have not seen the current application form, is it indicated so in it (I would think so because you would have come across that). When I sent in mine, it was mentioned that we send a photocopy of the NC in the application form, although the notarization part was not mentioned on the application form, although now I forget where I came across that requirement. In any case, good luck this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
JP, like you say, it is better to err on the side of caution and send two sets. If it makes sense to you, this is how I interpret the document list.
Set 1: Original form +it's photocopy + photocopy of documents mentioned in the instructions.
Set 2: Same as above.
Cover letter.
Separate Money Orders for the fee and mailing charge.

Just a thought - you mentioned that they no longer require a copy of NC or notarization. Since I have not seen the current application form[/URL], is it indicated so in it (I would think so because you would have come across that). When I sent in mine, it was mentioned that we send a photocopy of the NC in the application form, although the notarization part was not mentioned on the application form, although now I forget where I came across that requirement. In any case, good luck this time.

Thanks redbaron, it is always good to have a second set of eyes interpret what needs to be submitted. I had everything you detailed out except a second signed original application and decided to include that as well.

The current application form is different from what was up earlier and I do remember that the earlier form had a checklist of documents to attach that included a copy of the NC. The current version of the form has removed this checklist altogether and there is no mention in the instructions to attach the NC or to get everything notarized.

JP

JP,

Can you please tell me what you sent as the mailing postage? Did you send an return envelope itself (doesn't seem correct to me) or just the mailing label with MO for postage? I may need do the same for a couple of things:
1). Getting my OCI card from the NY consulate (that is, when it reaches the Consulate from New Delhi)
2). Attested proof-of-address for applying for PAN card.

Thanks.

JP,

Can you please tell me what you sent as the mailing postage? Did you send an return envelope itself (doesn't seem correct to me) or just the mailing label with MO for postage? I may need do the same for a couple of things:
1). Getting my OCI card from the NY consulate (that is, when it reaches the Consulate from New Delhi)
2). Attested proof-of-address for applying for PAN card.

Thanks.

redbaron, when I had resubmitted the SC application, the instructions still said to send a check for the mailing fees and that is what I did. I sent a certified check for $10 for return postage by Priority Mail and I did not include any mailing label. The day after my application reached the CGI-NY, they changed the instructions and asked people to send mailing labels with prepaid postage. I myself am wondering what they mean by this. You can easily get the labels from the PO and write in your address but how is the postage supposed to be handled? I think they are asking for a postage sticker prepaid at the PO and you send that together with the address label in your application. Not sure if the PO does this but anyway if they don't, I would recommend you submit a return envelope with the address completed and the postage sticker attached to it.

I can't help getting the feeling that the consulate is unnecessarily trying to be extremely difficult to it's customers and is basically nitpicking. They're making mountains out of molehills !
My application for miscellaneous services was also sent back under the pretext of I didn't send docs. as to how I got OCI in the first place.
First of all, CGINY was the one who gave me the OCI. So they should very well know on what basis I got the OCI. If not, their record keeping procedures are very poor. Secondly, in the instructions for Misc. OCI, whatever docs that were necessary I had mailed them.

I keep wondering what kind of employees (with questionable brains) work at the consulate or are they doing this deliberately.
The bureaucratic ways of India have not changed here also. Look at the SC fiasco !

We're at their mercy though so cannot question them !

Ah well...

Yours Disgusted...

-PunetoNJ.