For a friend: He needs to postpone FP

pinnacle_man

Registered Users (C)
He is a recent 485 filer (concurrent) and he just a got FP. He is planning a wedding in Dec. He postponed his FP and but they wouldn't let postpone beyond 2 months.

Can he keep postponing? I saw some post saying it may cause issues. Was there any such directive from USCIS or CSC ?

my friend did this

My friend, He cut his finger ( a little cut or wound or abrasion) is enough
to postpone your FP.

Go to the FP office with the cut. They will postpone it for you

(Please donot blame me if you get into trouble!!! or your FP is postponed forever)

Fingerprints

MurthyBulletin
Weekly Immigration eNewsletter
THE LAW OFFICE OF SHEELA MURTHY, P.C.
Phone : 410.356.5440
eMail : law@murthy.com
VOL. X, no. 23; June 2004, week 1
Posted : June 04, 2004

Fingerprint Rescheduling
The CSC indicated that adjudicators have no way to distinguish between missed or rescheduled fingerprint appointments. After the applicant has missed two appointments, the adjudicator is likely to deny the I-485 application. It is therefore important that those who may be traveling or
otherwise unable to attend the initially scheduled fingerprint date make every effort to appear at the second fingerprint appointment. This is not to be confused with the situation in which the USCIS requests fingerprinting more than once in a particular case.
We do note that I-485s cannot be approved without fingerprinting. Thus, delaying the fingerprinting could potentially delay the case.

pinnacle_man said:
He is a recent 485 filer (concurrent) and he just a got FP. He is planning a wedding in Dec. He postponed his FP and but they wouldn't let postpone beyond 2 months.

Can he keep postponing? I saw some post saying it may cause issues. Was there any such directive from USCIS or CSC ?

Your friend's marriage is in December, It is kind of odd that he needs to postpone his FP (I am speaking relatively with the little facts you gave). Why does he want to postpone? I don't see the reason why he should.

Also did he ever give a thought about what would happen to his to be wife if his case gets approved before December marriage, she might have difficulty joining him. (I AM SURE, HE MUST HAVE THOUGHT THROUGH ALL THIS, YET IN SUCH A IMPORTANT THING LIKE MARRIAGE, YOU MIGHT LOSE TRACK MOMENTARILY SOMETIMES) Check it out with him

my $0.02

golumolu said:
Your friend's marriage is in December, It is kind of odd that he needs to postpone his FP (I am speaking relatively with the little facts you gave). Why does he want to postpone? I don't see the reason why he should.

Also did he ever give a thought about what would happen to his to be wife if his case gets approved before December marriage, she might have difficulty joining him. (I AM SURE, HE MUST HAVE THOUGHT THROUGH ALL THIS, YET IN SUCH A IMPORTANT THING LIKE MARRIAGE, YOU MIGHT LOSE TRACK MOMENTARILY SOMETIMES) Check it out with him

my $0.02

Well -- to me it looks like he wants to postpone the FP for exactly that reason ... without FP, his 485 cannot be approved ... maybe he's trying to postpone his FP till after his Dec wedding ???
-- but from other posts here, that's risky.

Better to go do the FP and then hope for the best :) ....
Can the fiancee come here on her own - using a H or L visa ? Then they can get married here, apply for her 485 and travel back in Dec for the formal wedding - just a thought

Yes. He is exactly postponing the FP for that reason. He hopes they would postpone by 3 months. And expects the scheduled date to be in 1 month from then.

He is also looking into other possibilities like you had mentioned.

Thank You Guys.

max2k1 said:
Well -- to me it looks like he wants to postpone the FP for exactly that reason ... without FP, his 485 cannot be approved ... maybe he's trying to postpone his FP till after his Dec wedding ???
-- but from other posts here, that's risky.

Better to go do the FP and then hope for the best :) ....
Can the fiancee come here on her own - using a H or L visa ? Then they can get married here, apply for her 485 and travel back in Dec for the formal wedding - just a thought

goodsaint said:
Ask your friend to get married early.
Easier said :) :)

That would only work if the girl is already in the US ... If he intends to add her as a derivative in his 485, that person would have to be in the US to adjust status.

So unless, she can come here on her own (like a H1 visa), he would have to hope that the approval is delayed ( am assuming your friend has a valid H1/L1 and he can get his spouse a H4/L2 )

what will change in couple of months. Once he is approved, he will have to say goodbye to his wife for next 5 years. If he delays FP too much he can expect a denial. under the circumstances, wouldn't it be wise to get married early (just couple of months ... whats a big deal)

max2k1 said:
Easier said :) :)

That would only work if the girl is already in the US ... If he intends to add her as a derivative in his 485, that person would have to be in the US to adjust status.

So unless, she can come here on her own (like a H1 visa), he would have to hope that the approval is delayed ( am assuming your friend has a valid H1/L1 and he can get his spouse a H4/L2 )

NEVER EVER POSTPONE ANYTHING TO DO WITH INS. Sorry for the caps but this is an extremely strong feeling I have. Postponing is a reciepie for disaster. The best alternative is to go to India, get married in the court. Apply for H4, come here ASAP, file 485 as a derivative, and go back if that is what you want to do for the big ceremony in December, but postponing is a big NO NO.

Well Pinnacleman, here is another option your friend could consider, ask him to talk to his parents and his fiancee's parents and see if they could get a registered marriage done first. (ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT AUSPICIOUS DAYS etc could still be worked out in detail with the relevant personnel involved (purohits and pundits etc.). That way he can have his grand wedding in december, while he could add his wife to 485 as derivative producing the marriage certificate. Though for record purposes he would be married sooner than planned. MY TWO CENTS. I THINK THIS WORTH CONSIDERING RATHER THAN POSTPONING FINGER PRINTING WHICH AS I140 said is a huge recipe for disaster (read possible denial of GC) or waiting for 5 years after marriage for the wife to join him.

registered marriage

Try not to postpone FP.
Registered marriage in US before going to India to get married will work best. Its a simple and stright forward process. In some states, you may need to apply a month in advance to register for marriage.

Marriage & FP

Not sure if ur friend is indian...

A friend of mine underwent registered (civil court) marriage earlier for 485 reasons & then had the normal ceremonial marriage later on...

That could be done too...

Ive seen other Indian friends do this for H4 stamping reasons as well...Typically most chaps go to India for 1 month max to get married & it takes couple of weeks to get H4 stamp...