FOIA receipt . . .

gnkishore

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am just wondering if any one received a receipt for FOIA request. I am just trying to findout, if the FOIA request I sent is being processed or not. I initially sent a request but I never got a reply for that one. I made a mistake in that. I didn't send my identification information. Second request I made has all the required information. I am wondering if we get a receipt from BCIS for this FOIA request. Please let me know your experiences in this regard.
THanks
Kishore

I got receipt yesterday from VSC for

FOIA after 10 days for mailing application. They have given control number. When did U send request. Anybody has any idea reply time approx. Thanks

lisansw

Freedom of Information Act. Allows access to public records available at any govt agency, including USCIS and DOL. Search the forum with "FOIA" keyword for details and other users cases.

longwait02, thanks for sharing the info. My FOIA application reached NSC on last firday i.e OCT 24Th. I hope I will get the control number too.
Thanks
Kishore

where to send

Guys
where did you send the FOIA request to the Service Center or to the Local USCIS Office. My local office is Boston and Service Center is Vermont.

I want to get a copy of my ETA750A and 750B in my LC

hmd

gnkshore,
can i ask why did you sent FOIA to the BCIS? Do you want to expedite your name achecking or....
Can you please adivse? Do you know any other thread that i acn get more info. in this regard? thnx,aghajan

gnkishore:: Can you please clarify?? thnks

gnkshore,

I sent you a message regarding FOIA (see below please!). Can you please reply ASAP? thnx,aghajan

can i ask why did you sent FOIA to the BCIS? Do you want to expedite your name achecking or....
Can you please adivse? Do you know any other thread that i acn get more info. in this regard? thnx,aghajan

Help from longwait02!!

lonwait02,
can i ask why did you sent FOIA to the BCIS? Does it replace FBI namek checking by the BCIS? Do you want to expedite your name achecking or....
Can you please adivse? Do you know any other thread that i can get more info. in this regard? thnx,aghajan

Got my papers today....

Hi Guys,
I got my I-485 application using FOIA from NSC. It approximately took 3 months to receive them. Its real cool. Looks like things are on the move again at NSC.
Thanks

Re: Got my papers today....

Originally posted by gnkishore
Hi Guys,
I got my I-485 application using FOIA from NSC. It approximately took 3 months to receive them. Its real cool. Looks like things are on the move again at NSC.
Thanks

What is the process to submit FOIA and what all documents can you get. Thanks.

Re: Help from longwait02!!

FOIA does not have anything specific to do with FBI.
Folks here are talking about getting a copy of their files
from the Dept of Labor (DOL) and the BCIS. One can
get a copy of their LC - Labor Certification - file from
the DoL. That usually takes about a month. You
can also get copy of your file from the BCIS - that
takes longer, upto 3 months, but you will get
LC + other docs in your file.

There are threads in this forum which gives details
of how-to make use of FOIA. Search for FOIA and
be on your way to Freedom of Information, which
will set you free once again!

Originally posted by aghajan
lonwait02,
can i ask why did you sent FOIA to the BCIS? Does it replace FBI namek checking by the BCIS? Do you want to expedite your name achecking or....
Can you please adivse? Do you know any other thread that i can get more info. in this regard? thnx,aghajan

FOIA reciept from DOL

I got a letter from DOL saying that my request was forwarded
to the appropriate section / dept and they will contact me.

I had sent the request in the last week of Jan and the reply
is dated Feb 06. That is better than USCIS, I guess!

Case Status on FOIA Control Request

When you receive a Control Number for your FOIA request, is there any way to track your FOIA Case Status using the Control Number?

Anyone can answer this:
1. Do you have to send the fees?
2. Do you have to notarize?
3. Do we have to get the consent? Who?
4. Do we just mail it to VSC or to the local office as the form suggests?
5. Documents needed: I am just saying I-140 with the receipt no + LC for above 140?
6. For identity I am just attaching copy of Drivers License along with EAD copy- EAD has A#?
7. Did you mention a purpose?
Thanks

FOIA is easy

1. No, don't send any fees. They will ask for fees if it takes them lots of time to process. I received 60 pages and they didn't ask for fees.
2. No, not required.
3. Not required
4. Mail it to wherever the applications are pending / were processed, if you want faster results
5. I had said "I-140 petition, underlying Labor Certification and any other related documents". I guess I could have said "I-485 also".
6. I don't think you need to attach identity. For Privacy Act, where a US Citizen has a right to his own records, you need ID + notarized. For Freedom of Information Act, this is public information, you do not need to prove who you are. They sent me all my records, but they blanked out sections pertaining to the previous LC holders' name and address and school/employer info (it was a substituted LC).
7. Purpose is not required, I think. I mentioned "for recordkeeping".

As long as you give them the I-140 receipt number and A number, it won't take them long to find your file.

If you search under my nickname, there was a detailed FOIA thread I once wrote..