FOIA - A file request

nowwhat2005

Registered Users (C)
Hey, I have two questions about FOIA-Afile request:

1. Do people with a non-immigration visa/status have an A-file? Or only Green card holders have A-file?

2. If I request my travel records in my A-file a few weeks before submitting my naturalization application, would it slow things down as the USCIS may not get my A-file on time?

Thanks!

1. Do people with a non-immigration visa/status have an A-file? Or only Green card holders have A-file?

Most people get their A# when they apply for adjustment of status. It is also assigned if you apply for an employment authorization document (such as an F-1 OPT), a V visa, find yourself in deportation proceedings, and in a number of other situations.

Many USCIS forms ask for the A#. If you do not have one yet, simply write "None".

There actually are four separate types of A#. You can tell them apart by the number of digits and the first digit. The first kind is an eight-digit A#. These are manually assigned at local offices. If you have one of these numbers, simply treated it as if it was "0" plus the number. Nine-digit A#'s that start with the digit 1 are used for employment authorization cards, usually related to students. Nine-digit A#'s that start with the digit 3 are used for fingerprint tracking of V visa applicants. All other nine-digit A#'s (these actually always start with a 0) are permanent A#'s and remain permanently with you for life.

http://www.kkeane.com/general-faq.shtml

2. If I request my travel records in my A-file a few weeks before submitting my naturalization application, would it slow things down as the USCIS may not get my A-file on time?

Thanks!
I don't think it would delay your application since travel lookup dates via A# can be done by USCIS by accessing their IBIS/TECS database in real time.

Thanks!

Hey there -

Your A-file will not contain your travel records as that is housed in the CBP database. USCIS does not handle entry/exit and has no jurisdiction of that, so they will not honor that FOIA request. If you want your travel records, you need to submit a FOIA request directly to CBP - you can find information their web site. Here is the link: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/admin/fl/foia/

The FOIPA request from USCIS will only contain all the applications you have ever filed for immigration benefits including any documents you may have submitted as evidence (such as copies of passport pages, birth/marriage certificates, etc.). To answer your question directly - anyone who has ever applied for an immigration benefit will have an A-number - and thus an A-file - associated with them.

Your A-file is kept at the National Records Center (NRC) until you apply for a benefit. Then the service center requests your file and performs the necessary checks. Then when you are scheduled for an interview, your file is sent to the local office where it is kept until you application is adjudicated. If your file has already been sent to either the service center or the local DO, then the NRC will have to request it back when you submit a FOIPA. So, either the local DO will request a delay in sending the file back until after they have interviewed and closed out your case; or, they will send it back and it could possibly delay your case.

I know from speaking to the NRC folks, they scan your documents into the system when you submit a request so once that is done, your physical file isn't required. However, we don't know how soon after they receive the FOIPA request they scan the documents. This is tricky question indeed!

I know from speaking to the NRC folks, they scan your documents into the system when you submit a request so once that is done, your physical file isn't required.

How did you get to talk to them LolaLi?

Awesome info in your post. Thanks a lot to you.

Bobsmyth has provided some great info as well. Thanks Bobsmyth.

How did you get to talk to them LolaLi?

Awesome info in your post. Thanks a lot to you.

Bobsmyth has provided some great info as well. Thanks Bobsmyth.

When you file, NRC will send you a receipt notice with your NRC case number and a contact number to reach them. It is a direct dial number, so long distance charges will apply, but you can call them directly and speak to someone knowledgeable. In fact, you have to call them after getting your case number to switch your request from paper-format to CD. Here is the number to the NRC in case you are curious: 816-350-5570. :) Call them and ask any question regarding the FOIPA request process if you like!

I personally used to call them once every 2-3 months just to check the status of my request. It took me 1 and half years to get a copy of my A-file, and I am sure they were sick of speaking to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks LolaLi and Bobsmyth!

Continuing my first question, let's say I am currently on a B1/B2 visa and on the process of applying for green card / adjustment of status. Would my future assigned A-file contain documentation prior to my new status such as my B1 visa application documentation, my board entry records in the past?

For the second question, if I submit my FOIA request directly to CBP for the entry/exit records, would it cause any delay on the USCIS side when they process my naturalization application?

Thanks again guys!

Thanks LolaLi and Bobsmyth!

Continuing my first question, let's say I am currently on a B1/B2 visa and on the process of applying for green card / adjustment of status. Would my future assigned A-file contain documentation prior to my new status such as my B1 visa application documentation, my board entry records in the past?
They would have any information you previously filled out or submitted including immigration forms, visas, diplomas etc..). You'd be surprised how big your case file is by the end of the process.
For the second question, if I submit my FOIA request directly to CBP for the entry/exit records, would it cause any delay on the USCIS side when they process my naturalization application?

Thanks again guys!
I don't think it should since your application for AOS or citizenship is not dependent on FOIA request as it is a separate issue.

If you are asking if filing a FOIA will have negative consequences in the future - in regards to immigration benefits - then the answer is 'No'. This is your right and it will not be viewed as some thing negative and USCIS will not retaliate.

Plus - if you are just applying for your GC, the citizenship process is years from now - so you don't have worry about a FOIA request delaying anything.