FNU on my Green card

rohitandbonny

Registered Users (C)
hi everyone this is rohit ,and iam new to this site and need advice i moved to US in March ,and received my Green card two months later.i noticed my first name Written FNU on my Green card ,later i Google and i find out it means "First Name Unknown" i went to DMV to apply driving License and have issues there 2 ,i have FNU on my Learning permit as-well,after talking to UCIS and i file I90 form and mail my GC back to there office ,and got letter week later, they notify me they got the application and they also give the receipt number so i can check online status ,its been over two months i not hear anything from them ,its been 8 months iam here i cant get job unless it can get fix i cant get my license fix its been big nightmare for me , please let me know how to Fix this FNU problem and if someone has these issues before how they resolve ,
Thanks
Rohit

How did you fill in your name on the green card application forms? DId you receive a immigrant visa from a US consulate? If so what is listed on the visa? What is your name in your passport?

Hey thanks nkmoct ,my wife file visa and she has my name right in forms ,my first name was rohit and last name Kumar written all my immigration forms included i130,on my Indian passport ,my Given name is Rohit kumar and surname field was Empty , when my visa issued my surname Rohit Kumar , Given Name FNU ,its immigrant visa (cr-2) and i have 10 year Green card now,and on my Green card Surname Rohit Kumar and Given Name Fnu ,and it was US consulate in New Delhi , ,

Last edited by a moderator:
iam in US and how can change my name on passport from US,it sound long process ,also my passport is expiring dec, 2014

Rohit, it is a passport from your own country. To change that you need to talk to Indian embassy / consulate closest to where you live. If you can't figure something this simple on your own, your life in USA will be very challenging, to say the least.

USCIS follows names as written on passport. I believe you should fix your name in passport and contact USCIS.

It's not necessary to change the passport. USCIS will change the green card based on the birth certificate. However it is still advisable to fix the passport name to avoid other problems.

Rohit, it is a passport from your own country. To change that you need to talk to Indian embassy / consulate closest to where you live. If you can't figure something this simple on your own, your life in USA will be very challenging, to say the least.

Thanks hexa ,and life is already really hard and i can feel it :(

Advice

Hello Robin,

That's nice to read that your problem is solved.As per me, you have to go to Indian Embassy. Where you have show your "ANY ID PROOF" where your name is embedded.

:)