Florida District Offices Experiences.Family based cases.

Orlando district.

albled99 said:
My case is in Orlando, FL too. I don't know how accurate the dates are, but my lawyer told me that the Orlando office is hiring more officers to deal with the overwhelming load they have. So, that should cut the waiting time a bit. As you see lately they have progressed a little. It was about time!!!Not to put your hopes up or anything, but I hope that is really the case. :)

I actually wrote to Orlando Sentinel newspaper and some other news organization to inform them about the problem with Orlando.
The newspaper carried the story sometimes ago after I exchanged e-mails with the staff writers. The story was published on 10/23/2005, here is a link to a post about the story in one of the threads http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=194361
And below is some of the e-mail I exchanged with the sentinel guy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear sir or ma:
I will like to draw your attention to the suffering of immigration applicants at the Orlando Immigration District. The unimaginable lengthy processing time at the district office has brought untold hardship, both financially and emotionally to the families of the applicants in this area.
According to the current (September 15, 2005) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services published processing dates on it’s website. Orlando District Office processing of I-485(Adjustment of Status) is taking 949 days. The national average for the same application is 345 days.
Some district offices September 15, 2005 published processing dates are listed below.

District Office Date Days

Orlando, FL March 13,2003 949 days
Jacksonville, FL November 21,2004 330 days
Miami, FL October 29, 2004 353 days
Baltimore, MD October 01, 2005 381 days
Detroit, MI April 12 , 2005 188 days
Dallas, TX December, 01, 2004 320 days
San Jose, CA April 06, 2005 194 days

The Orlando District office is the slowest in the nation. The difference in the processing times is too wide compared to all the other district offices in the country.
It will be highly appreciated if your highly respected office can look into the problems the Orlando district office is having in carrying out it’s duties effectively.
Yours sincerely,
Dear Sir,
I really appreciate your prompt response to plead for help in this regard as your assistance will help a lot of families in alleviating their suffering.
The link to U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services processing dates for Applications and Petitions is: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp here you can select various District offices to see their processing times.
The link to Orlando processing times is: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/officeProcesstimes.jsp?selectedOffice=54
The main page USCIS is http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm
I also want to let you know that there are some district offices like Dallas District office that are now implementing pilot programs which allows applicants to have their Adjustment of Status processed within 90 days.
Thanking you in anticipation of a through research into this issue as there is a huge problem facing Orlando area’s applicant.

Yours truly,
David

VRamos@OrlandoSentinel.com wrote:
Sir, I cover immigration issues at the Orlando Sentinel and had a chance to review the information you shared with us on processing times for change of status applications. Is there a link that you can point me to so I can examine those numbers? Also, are you or someone you know affected by those delays? Thank you.
Víctor Manuel Ramos
Staff Writer, Hispanic Affairs and Immigration --
Demographics & Diversity Team.
Orlando Sentinel -- www.orlandosentinel.com
vramos@orlandosentinel.com
P.O. Box 2833
Orlando, Fl 32802-2833
Tel. 407-420-6186
Fax 407-420-5350
<<Ramos, Victor.vcf>>
Thank you -- I am pursuing the story. I am trying to find people affected by the backlog, so if you are one or know someone in that situation, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Víctor Manuel Ramos
vramos@orlandosentinel.com
407-420-6186

Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:38 AM
To: Ramos, Victor
Cc: OSC IA Insight; Beasley, Alex P; Hellmuth, Ann B; McBreen, Sharon
Subject: Orlando Immigration District Office Problem.
Dear sir or ma:
I really appreciate your prompt response to plead for help in this regard as your assistance will help a lot of families in alleviating their suffering.
The link to U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services processing dates for Applications and Petitions is: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp here you can select various District offices to see their processing times.
The link to Orlando processing times is: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/officeProcesstimes.jsp?selectedOffice=54
The main page USCIS is http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm
I also want to let you know that there are some district offices like Dallas District office that are now implementing pilot programs which allows applicants to have their Adjustment of Status processed within 90 days.
Thanking you in anticipation of a through research into this issue as there is a huge problem facing Orlando area's applicant.

Yours truly,
David

===============================================

Albled99,
You can always contact this guy as he was asking if I know people that thier case was taking too long, my case was about 3 months in October so he could not really use me as reference. The only thing that is certain is the little impact the story had.

RareGold said:
Niether do I :) No LUD, no e-mail, no online message, either.
Thanks RareGold and I wish you the best in your interview. Please remember to share your happy story after the interview.

Good luck.

Miami Timeline

Got my I-485 Interview letter today and wanted to share my timeline so far for other folks waiting in Miami, FL (my mother petitioned me as a Permanent Resident in 2001 but upgraded my petition in December 2005 right after she became a US Citizen in order to recapture the initial priority date):

I-130/I-485/I-765 mailed: 12/19/05
RD: 12/21/05
ND: 01/06/06
FP ND: 02/01/06
FP taken: 03/01/06
EAD Date: 03/07/06 (got in the mail a couple of days later)
I-485 Interview Date: 06/15/06

I'm ecstatic! I thought I-485s were taking longer to process. The notice says "Request for applicant to appear for initial interview" with a list of items to bring but I'm assuming this is THE interview to finally get my green card. Good luck to all.

Dont worry theres somebody out here worse off than you look at my timeline, here in Miami,and no biometrics in sight, good for you you beat me!
no really thats good news my DO is miami im glad for you whats on the list for you to bring to Miami interview

Last edited by a moderator:
List of items to bring for I-485 interview

eric v,

Hang in there; your day will come. Your case is different than mine. My mom petitioned for me as a resident over five years ago but things sped up when she became a citizen in December.

In response to your question...I already submitted all of the items on the list; I guess it's a generic form to make sure people bring anything they hadn't sent before: government issued photo id, medical exam in sealed envelope, affidavit of support (including tax returns, w2s, employer letter and pay stubs, evidence of sponsor's citizenship or legal resident status), EAD, passport/I-94, my birth certificate, my mom's birth certificate and proof of her citizenship. Plus, a certified English translation for each foreign language document. We will bring with us, however, the most recent income tax returns, w2s, and pay stubs plus all the original documents we have, even if we already submitted them with the application package in December.

The notice also lists other items if the petition is based on marriage; e.g., supporting evidence of the relationship, etc.

Good luck!

Approved ! Got Plastic!

I want to use this opportunity to thank God for His guidance, love and compassion over me. God made me stumble on this great forum that provided all the help, encouragement, knowledge and cost effective way of getting my GC with little or no stress.
I had my interview on 04/18/2006, about six months after I filed. The interview was done in Jacksonville, though Orlando is my district office.
When we got there the Officer came to get us about 5 minutes after the scheduled time. She performed the swearing immediately we got inside, before sitting down.
Her first question was if either of us had been married before (No), then she asked how we met.
At this point my wife and I, was trying to answer the question at the same time, because the officer threw the question into the open without asking a specific person. I then relaxed and allowed my wife to answer the question.
The officer then asked for any document that can collaborate our wedding. I already have some documents at hand, gave it to her. She flipped through the documents, and then she asked if we have health or life insurance. I told her I just started my job and have not signed up for my benefits.
I realized maybe she wanted more proof, so I provided her with some pictures (about 5) that I took with my wife, way back in my home country before we emigrate to U.S. The officer said my wife look different and my wife replied maybe because of her hair. The pictures are about 8 yrs old anyway.
Then the officer started going through my I-485 and started asking for the originals of the documents I submitted and stamping the copy after verifying. Note: She perforated and filed all the documents that I gave to her that proved we were married, without even asking if we still need the originals.
The officer then asked the questions in the 485, after she asked if both of us are working. After we said Yes, she said we should prove to her we are making more than 16,500/year. I gave her about 3 pay slips and letter from employer.
She then said congratulations as of today, you’re now a permanent resident. She informed me the card should arrive in about 6 weeks.
I looked at my passport with no stamp, so I asked her if she can stamp it for me. She replied that unless I want to travel anytime soon, my wife responded too quickly that I don’t intend to travel soon. I guess the officer knew the card should get to me within 2 weeks.
I received welcome notice few days later, and then came the Plastic itself about 10 days after the interview.
Special thanks to everybody in this forum. So much information and experience was gained from this forum, through people’s posting. I also want to thank RareGold for valuable information she always provide.
May the Lord grant each one of us our heart desires.
Thanks!

Davidyoung :)

RD—-------------10/05/2005
ND---------------10/12/2005
FP ---------------01/19/2006
INTERVIEW----- 04/18/2006
GC RECEIVED---04/28/2006

davidyoung said:
I want to use this opportunity to thank God for His guidance, love and compassion over me. God made me stumble on this great forum that provided all the help, encouragement, knowledge and cost effective way of getting my GC with little or no stress.
I had my interview on 04/18/2006, about six months after I filed. The interview was done in Jacksonville, though Orlando is my district office.
When we got there the Officer came to get us about 5 minutes after the scheduled time. She performed the swearing immediately we got inside, before sitting down.
Her first question was if either of us had been married before (No), then she asked how we met.
At this point my wife and I, was trying to answer the question at the same time, because the officer threw the question into the open without asking a specific person. I then relaxed and allowed my wife to answer the question.
The officer then asked for any document that can collaborate our wedding. I already have some documents at hand, gave it to her. She flipped through the documents, and then she asked if we have health or life insurance. I told her I just started my job and have not signed up for my benefits.
I realized maybe she wanted more proof, so I provided her with some pictures (about 5) that I took with my wife, way back in my home country before we emigrate to U.S. The officer said my wife look different and my wife replied maybe because of her hair. The pictures are about 8 yrs old anyway.
Then the officer started going through my I-485 and started asking for the originals of the documents I submitted and stamping the copy after verifying. Note: She perforated and filed all the documents that I gave to her that proved we were married, without even asking if we still need the originals.
The officer then asked the questions in the 485, after she asked if both of us are working. After we said Yes, she said we should prove to her we are making more than 16,500/year. I gave her about 3 pay slips and letter from employer.
She then said congratulations as of today, you’re now a permanent resident. She informed me the card should arrive in about 6 weeks.
I looked at my passport with no stamp, so I asked her if she can stamp it for me. She replied that unless I want to travel anytime soon, my wife responded too quickly that I don’t intend to travel soon. I guess the officer knew the card should get to me within 2 weeks.
I received welcome notice few days later, and then came the Plastic itself about 10 days after the interview.
Special thanks to everybody in this forum. So much information and experience was gained from this forum, through people’s posting. I also want to thank RareGold for valuable information she always provide.
Thanks!

Davidyoung :)

GC RECEIVED---04/28/2006

Thanks!

Davidyoung

GC RECEIVED---04/28/2006

I'm a legal resident now!

Wanted to share my experience with my residence interview from a couple of days ago (Thursday 06/15) in the Miami DO. I went with my mom and immigration lawyer. My mom petitioned me as a resident in January 2001, then my petition was upgraded when she became a citizen late last year. The interview went well, the usual reviewing of the documents and needing to present some originals, like my original birth certificate and my mom's original naturalization certificate. The immigration officer was very nice and professional. Two things are happening in the Miami DO right now:

1. They are not formally approving the cases on the spot; they do it later in the day. I do not know whether this is for all cases, at least it seems to be the case for I-130/I-485 applications. The officer did say in the end, "I'm my mind, it's approved" but said that sometimes she remembers to check something out after the interview. My lawyer tried to convince her to approve it then and there but she said, "they don't have the time" so he asked her if she could call his office to inform him when the case got approved. She hesitated but agreed and she did call later that afternoon also adding that I would receive the green card in the mail. My lawyer's office called me to inform me the good news. Also, the case status updated online the next day (Friday 06/16) saying that my case was approved and a welcoming letter would arrive in the mail soon.

2. The other thing is that they are not stamping the passport anymore because the green cards are arriving in the mail quickly. I did tell her that I was traveling abroad in two weeks but she said that she could not do it; that the policy came from the Miami DO higher-ups starting sometime in April. I guess if I really needed to travel within the next couple of days, she would have stamped it or my lawyer would have tried something but I'm not sure. So if you are planning to travel within a week of your interview, bring your ticket or reservation printout. This was news to my lawyer; he did try to convince the officer to stamp my passport to no avail (he used some legal statements in the line of, as a permament resident, I was entitled to all the benefits and whatever as of that moment.) So I made an InfoPass appointment for the day before my travel just in case my green card has not arrived yet to see if they would then stamp my passport or give me some kind of travel document since I am actually a legal resident now. Apparently, the green cards are taking less than 2 weeks, so we'll see. I'll cancel my InfoPass if I get my card on time.

Finally, notice that both situations are linked together; if they were stamping passports at the end of the interview, they would have to approve the case right away too.

Good luck to everybody!

EAD Date: 03/07/06 (got in the mail a couple of days later)
I-485 Interview Date: 06/15/06
GC arrival: ??/??/??

Received Green Card in the mail today

Wanted to provide an update: Received my green card in the mail today, 14 days after my permanent residency was approved at the Miami DO. Good luck to everyone!

EAD Approval Date: 03/07/06 (got in the mail a couple of days later)
I-485 Interview Date: 06/15/06 -> Permanent Residency approved
GC Received in Mail: 06/29/06

Orlando Do Rocks

I Applied for my n-400 on march 12 2006
finger prints on may 11 2006
interview on july 06, 2006

can u pls tell me the oath cermonies in orlando

Hello Asher, did u send ur application to Tesas, and they transferred it to Orl?. I am very surprised it took such a short while, I've heard stories that it usually takes 365 day 4 the process 2b completed. I am in the process in filing my husband' N400. At least this has given me some assurance that some things do change. Good luck with ur interview :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ORLANDO DO ROCKs

charchamps said:
Hello Asher, did u send ur application to Tesas, and they transferred i to Orl?. I am very surprised it took such a short while, I've heard stories that it usually takes 365 day 4 the process 2b completed. I am in the process in filing my husband' N400. At least this has given me some assurance that some things do change. Good luck with ur interview :)
Yes dear i applied in Texas SC, they then transferred to Orlando DO, i know lot of people who applied and they interviewed after 5 to 6 months, just bcoz of thar i came to pakitan on may 17 and was scheduled to stay till 15 august, but i was surprised, i have an interview on july 06,at 8:30AM....i am worried about the oath, my wife is in pakistan. it all depends and its all happening here at theORLANDO DO....

Asher Majid

Hi Asher, thank u very much 4 ur reply, I do hope my husband's process goes as quickly. I will b mailing the forms out on 7/3/06. :D

Hi

I am a LPR in Florida and although mainly been dealing with Texas do have some knowledge of the sub immigration offices here

The ledger featured my story on 24th June 2006. I have already been interviewed by the Mail and The Sentinal is coming to interview me in the next week or so.

If anyone would like me to put their case senario's please contact me via PM or join me at www.expatsvoice.org

Anyway here is my story so far
Please feel free to call Bill Rufty with your comments on my story and any of your problems as we need to raise awareness
Regards Sue

Published Saturday, June 24, 2006
Saturday, June 24, 2006

Legal Path Can Be Just As Difficult

By Bill Rufty
The Ledger

Sue Ward, left, holds up a printout from the Web site www.expatsvoice.org that she created for people seeking information about often complex U.S. immigration policies. She and friend Zoe Adams, right, are from England and own businesses in Polk County. (CALVIN KNIGHT/The Ledger)

IMMIGRANT WEB SITE
The local Web site www.expatsvoice.org provides general information to legal immigrants on visas and applications for immigration to the United States. The site does not offer legal advice, but it explains rules and problems and also provides a way for immigrants to socialize.

DAVENPORT -- Sue Ward created a Web site earlier this year to help fellow immigrants learn more about U.S. immigration rules.

But through a series of tragedies, and what she calls bureaucratic indifference, she found out more than she cared to about the difficulties that even legal immigrants face in the United States.

Her husband died suddenly, and her son, Gavin, is stuck in England, unable to help his mother.

"It almost seems at times like illegal immigrants have more rights and get attention quicker than those of us who follow the rules," said Lakeland friend Zoe Adams, who like Sue Ward is a legal immigrant from Great Britain.

Sue Ward, her husband, Ian, and two of their three sons had been in the United States with permanent resident status. They operated real estate and property management offices in Davenport. They had been trying for the past four years to get their third son, Gavin Ward, over to the United States to be with the family.

Then, Ian Ward, the breadwinner and head of the family businesses, was diagnosed with cancer that spread quickly, and he died May 13, two weeks after his diagnosis.

Gavin Ward, 24, had been granted a waiver to visit his father during his terminal illness, but had to return to London upon his father's death to reapply for a visa that would let him stay here for at least six months to help his mother with probate and with her own health problems because of the death and an accident. Sue Ward said ideally, she'd like him to get a permanent resident card.

On June 6, Gavin Ward dutifully showed up at the U.S. embassy in London after flying over from Davenport specifically for the meeting.

He carried several documents showing that he had been in the United States on several occasions and never overstayed his visa. He also had a statement from his mother's doctor that he needed to be with her. He also carried a copy of an e-mail from U.S. Rep. Dave Weldon, asking the embassy to consider his appeal.

Despite all that, the embassy turned him down. He is stuck in England.

"He said that they didn't interview him. They just took his paperwork, told him to wait and came back saying he was refused. I don't think they even read the congressman's letter," Sue Ward said. "And they stamped his passport that the visa had been rejected, which means he will get a hard time every time he tries to enter this country, now, even with a visa."

A FRUSTRATING SYSTEM

While Congress and business leaders work to find a solution to the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States, legal immigrants and their supporters complain that the entire system needs to be reformed.

They say attention must be paid to the problems of those who entered this country legally, many of whom have invested in businesses here.

The Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and ensuing tightening of security have made times difficult for legal immigrants as well.

The cumbersome visa system, with its seemingly endless variety of restrictions and time limits, is part of the problem, say some legal immigrants.

Rude and uncaring federal employees are another, Sue Ward said.

Earlier this year, she and friend Adams created a Web site -www.expatsvoice.org -- to provide general information to legal immigrants on visas and applications for immigration to the U.S.

The site does not offer legal advice, but it explains rules and problems and also provides a way for immigrants to socialize with others.

CRIPPLED BY DELAYS

But Ward's own problems can't be solved with her Web site.

The problem with Gavin's entry began years ago, with the Wards not understanding the various visas and time requirements and with delays among American immigration officials in meeting their own deadlines.

After taking family vacations here since 1989, Ian Ward moved with one of his sons to Polk County in 1999 to begin a property management and realty businesses, a branch of his office in England.

Sue Ward stayed with Gavin and a younger son in England for a time, then moved with the younger son to Polk County. Gavin was to join after he graduated from college. All three boys were younger than 21 at the time of the initial move.

But when the Wards tried to get the family's green card status for Gavin, it was first held up at the Texas service center for immigration, then sent on to the embassy in London in 2002. By then, he had turned 21, and he was denied.

"If we had known at the time, he could have applied for an L visa, which means transferring from a company outside the U.S. to a U.S. branch," Ward said. "Gavin is a director in our London travel office."

Delays such as the one that hurt Gavin Ward's visa application are a major problem, said a local immigration lawyer.

"There are applications for temporary worker visas, especially for Mexican nationals, filed in 1991 that are just now being heard. We are talking about a massive backlog and a broken system," said David Maldonado, a Lakeland immigration lawyer and a contributing columnist on immigration law to The Ledger's Vision Latina.

"There are two general status groups for those entering the United States: nonimmigrant and immigrant status," he said. "Under nonimmigrant status, you have maybe up to 10 types for people who don't want to stay permanently in the United States. There is a visa for entertainers, athletes, agricultural workers, an investor's visa or E visa in different types.

"Then there is the immigrant status, which are usually familybased or employment-based."

Maldonado said President Bush's call for immigration reform is caused by the overwhelmed visa system.

"There is a cap of 65,000 H1D visas, a type of temporary worker visa. That cap was met this year in 45 days," he said.

And unfortunately for Gavin Ward, some embassies do not do a very good job at helping people with their visa problems, Maldonado said, noting the frustration of a colleague who deals frequently with the U.S. Embassy in London.

"The embassy in the UK has had a lot of problems. That is where you hear about a lot of these cases. Initially, the woman in charge of the section left, and they apparently have not brought someone in who can take charge. He said they are basically just running amok over there," Maldonado said.

A PRECARIOUS PART OF POLK BUSINESS

Adams and her husband, Steve, came to the United States with their two children on what is called an E visa.

It is one of the easiest to get -- relatively speaking. If you own a business in the United States and employ Americans, you can have this type of visa, but it has its drawbacks, too.

"My husband and I own a Lakeland pool service. We employ Americans and contribute to the economy," said Zoe Adams, "but we can never have permanent residency.

"That's OK. We understood that coming in with an E visa, " Zoe Adams said. "And we accepted that, but there are still little glitches. For example, we are waiting for our E visa to be renewed. Until then, I can't go to Britain to check on my elderly aunt. Well, I can go, but I can't get back in."

Mark Jackson, executive director of Polk County Tourism and Sports Marketing, said the difficulties faced by legal immigrants can have an adverse effect on the county's economy.

"Ms. Ward has had a very tough time. From a pure business and economic standpoint, the British represent two sides of the economy here," Jackson said.

"On the demand side, we have many short-term rental customers who stay a long period of time, buy from our stores and go to our restaurants," he said. "On the supply side, you have a very skilled group of workers and retailers who want to invest in the United States and Polk County."

Ward said she doesn't want people to think it is just one national group that is having difficulty with the system for entering this country legally.

"I have a friend who is a U.S. citizen, and he has two elderly relatives in Turkey who are in need of someone to care for them," Ward said. "He can't leave his job to go over and make arrangements because of his children and wife. His wife has said she could be their caregiver and let them live out their days here, but they will likely die before they can get through the visa waiting list."

Ward's case has been taken up not only by local businesspeople, immigration reformers and a congressman -- the London Daily Mail has written an account of her troubles.

That's not likely to help other businesses here in Central Florida hoping to attract more British tourists and investors.

"It's just so unfair. I cry every day," Ward said. "I need my son with me, and those people (State Department officials) are so cold and uncaring. The person who turned down Gavin's visa didn't even have the decency to say, `Sorry for your loss' over his dad dying."

Bill Rufty can be reached at bill.rufty@theledger.com or 863802-7523.