Fix the Material Support Bar

the only option is to write letter to Senators like Leahy and Kyl.
If you know other people affected by this non sense bar, please let us form a group and write letters to Senate juidiciary commitee, President Obama and others.

That is the only way out..we have to push hard...

I'm going to write to Senator Leahy too, I suppose. My father wouldn't really care about the delay on his GC but its been almost about 3 years since he filed for I 730s for my mom and brother living back home. That's what is really hurting us.

Asylee_1999,

The website is not a credible and reliable one in my view. Luis Farkan and Elijah Mohammed are known for always criticising the gov't policies. I have no problem if the US crack down on terrorists. America has to be safe and peaceful at any time. My problem is when people become a victim because of overbroadened definition of terrorism - like the tier III definition.

We are just victims of the overbroad defintion of terrorism not terrorists and DHS also understands that. We pose no danger to the US and we have nothing against the US at all.

The only way out from this limbo is, get united and write letters to the senate juidiciary commitee to introduce a new legislation per Senator Leahy's promis on Aug 05,2009.

I will post the link of what the Seator said ...

Asylee_1999,

The website is not a credible and reliable one in my view. Luis Farkan and Elijah Mohammed are known for always criticising the gov't policies. I have no

I will post the link of what the Seator said ...

Asylee_2007,
I googled several web site and all of them have the same info that the adminstration will renew the patriot act and the material support is one of them, these should be expired Dec 31. the congress doesn't want to renew this bar before they do several hearing that why the Napolitano was there last week. so here is the fact
1- there are around 8000 asylee in USA in limbo same like us.
2- The congress was already approved a waiver for the material support bar but the DHS does issue just 56 waiver since sep 2007 since this legislator was issued back then
3- either we have to wait for the next year for the immigration reform or just as the walker said send email to all the senators and the congressmen and it is better if we have friend that will send too, since those senators will not act until they know this cases is all over their constiuents.

Hey Guys

I have been following on this forum for a while, and just to give a brief summary of my situation I was denied I485 back on 2007 because of the material support thingie ... then filed motion to reopen and my case is now on hold.....

I live in NC and I wrote to the senators, congressman and the governor about 100 times, have to admit they were fast in responding BUT nothing have changed the "on-hold'' status. We have been getting same responses every time they contacted the DHS on my behalf. I have sent tons and I really do mean tons of letters to the president and the first lady.but hey! god only knows where they end up ;) hahaha.....

Anyways, Last week I sent an e.mail to the senator along with the statement of senator leahy on behalf of myself and other 5 people. I received a phone call right next morning (they usually mail me out some documents to sign" and we have been asked to do the usual "sign a permission and all that fun". To be honest, I am not even sure if this will make any difference but i thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Seriously guys, I am so tired of this ridiculous thing and I am ready to do whatever it takes. I have contacted my lawyer to ask his advice whether I should file the FOIA or not, the conclusion was to "sit back and do nothing"

Anyways, you can count us in. I happened to know a few people beside some extended family members that are on the same boat and they are ready for anything... so lets get moving and have our voices heard! Let's come up with some brilliant ideas... i remember some one here before said they were gonna contact CNN and write to news papers. i though about contacting CNN but I am not good at this at all. let's do something people!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys

I have been following on this forum for a while, and just to give a brief summary of my situation I was denied I485 back on 2007 because of the material support thingie ... then filed motion to reopen and my case is now on hold.....

I live in NC and I wrote to the senators, congressman and the governor about 100 times, have to admit they were fast in responding BUT nothing have changed the "on-hold'' status. We have been getting same responses every time they contacted the DHS on my behalf. I have sent tons and I really do mean tons of letters to the president and the first lady.but hey! god only knows where they end up ;) hahaha.....

Anyways, Last week I sent an e.mail to the senator along with the statement of senator leahy on behalf of myself and other 5 people. I received a phone call right next morning (they usually mail me out some documents to sign" and we have been asked to do the usual "sign a permission and all that fun". To be honest, I am not even sure if this will make any difference but i thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Seriously guys, I am so tired of this ridiculous thing and I am ready to do whatever it takes. I have contacted my lawyer to ask his advice whether I should file the FOIA or not, the conclusion was to "sit back and do nothing"

Anyways, you can count us in. I happened to know a few people beside some extended family members that are on the same boat and they are ready for anything... so lets get moving and have our voices heard! Let's come up with some brilliant ideas... i remember some one here before said they were gonna contact CNN and write to news papers. i though about contacting CNN but I am not good at this at all. let's do something people!

Washington Post has published various article on this issue in the past including the one on November 12,2009. We need more media presure and I don't see what our case has with the immigration reform. If we have to wait until the CIR is passed, things will get more complicated because of the heavy backlog of work at USCIS (given the inefficeienct of the USCIS).

Let us write to Senators Leahy,Kyl,Dubrin and other senators too. Guys don't expect somebody to come and speak for you. We have to be able to speak for ourselves. We are just victims of the bureaucracy in DHS, they don't want to apply the waiver authority given to them. It is really sickening to see such an out of touch implementaion of a law.

First thing first, we need to create an environment so that everyone's up on their toes. Checking these threads once every 4-5 days just won't cut it.

I quite like the idea though. As a matter of fact, I just found out that a classmate of mine ( graduating Class's student body President ) currently works for the Senator who I had written to regarding my father's I-730s that'd see my mom and brother joining us here.

Hence, lets all try to be frequent visitors to this forum. I'm gonna go ahead and contact the same Senator and I will also be writing to Senator Leahy among many others.

Has anybody else submitted his or her FOIA? My father submitted it last week.

Hey Guys
I wanted to let you know that I decided to take the plunge and submit FOIA very soon. I will keep you updated. The reason that I am not posting everyday because I really have nothing new to say... But as I said, I am willing to do whatever you guys want to. I will also wirte to these senators and let's see what will happen.......if we could just find a way to have the president know about us :mad:

What about facebook group?

Duke.devil,

The face book group is a good idea.
I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this thing done.
My asylum application is pending for more than 2 years and I am frustrated now. We are victims of the unitended consequence of the "material support bar". So, we have every right to get our voices heard in every democratic way. I am more than willing to join you in the face book group.

I recieved an email from USCIS saying my case is on hold due to Material Support...funny thing is my parents just recieved their greencards in the mail. We applied and were approved for Asylum together.

Any Idea what we should call the faceBook group? Please suggest names and I will go ahead and proceed...if there anybody here who is more into facebook stuff you are more than welcome to jump in and take over this project...I can do it but i am a little far from the civilization :D let's keep it moving people

Duke.devil,

The face book group is a good idea.
I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this thing done.
My asylum application is pending for more than 2 years and I am frustrated now. We are victims of the unitended consequence of the "material support bar". So, we have every right to get our voices heard in every democratic way. I am more than willing to join you in the face book group.

Duke,

Give it a name which can describe our problem, like unintended victims of "Material Support Bar" or "Fix the material support Bar" or whatever name better fits our purpose. Please do it ASAP, we are getting frustrated, let our voice be heard...

I'll try to create facebook group.

"Victims of Material Support Bar". OK this is the group name in facebook. Let's get started. Anyone willing to be an admin? I can handover the credentials.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheman86, would you care to elaborate your situation please?

I don't really think Facebook group will be that highly effective. I know that it will have its own humanitarian pleas but you can't really believe that the Directors and Secretaries of the DHS will be checking on Facebook groups. We need some sort of direct communication. Start writing to the President and Senators.

The Walker,

Facebook will not be the only way we try to get our voice heard, we will do anything legal to get our voice heard. I was disaapointed that Senator Leahy didn't ask DHS secreatary the progress of our issue during the December 15,2009 senate hearing. During the May 2009 hearing, the Secretary said she is working with all agencies to get things done ... But this time nobody even mentioned the issue at all.

Where can we go and get justice? This totally unfair and un-American...