First time travel with AP, please help

sleepinglily

Registered Users (C)
Could anyone tell me about how to travel with AP?
What do I need to bring with me? Is there anything I need to prepare or pay attention to?
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the same in Dec '04.

Don't know the details of your case, but I'm on an EAD (no H1 ext). I flew Northwest/KLM via Amsterdam - apparently the safest bet to avoid Transit visa issues/requirements. At the port of entry (Minneapolis): it was no big deal, except that they ask you to wait in a seperate area (instead of the line), they will go through your AP docs/Passport, ask some basic questions and let you go. They will put a stamp on your AP docs. Bottomline, it takes little longer than usual but no issues. If you have a connecting flight from the POE, make sure you have enough time for that flight. I didn't and had to catch the next flight.

Hope that helps.
RK

Transit Visa - Get it , even if you don't need it.

Best advice would be,

1. Check the requirements, from the embassy( call them ) of the transit country. , even if you confirm things call them 03 days prior to travel.
Travel visa rules are changing forever these days.

2. FACT - AP is not a valid travel document, AP + EAD will work only for entry/exit from the USA., so transit visa will be required in most countries even though you are just hoping a flight and not getting out of the airport.

As long as you do not have a valid visa stamped in your passport, you will
need to get a transit visa.

3. Do not take information from Travel Agents and Airlines, they do not know
all the rules. Do not take information from Friends either. :)

4. Transit visa costs very less, and when you are looking at all your trip expenses , its just better to get one, I lost 04 days of my vacation which wasn't worth it for a mere 15 bucks to the German Embassy.

5. If you have other travelers with you, joining from India/home country,you will need to get the transit visa done for them from their port of entry.

So that's the myth.

First time AP coming into the country, you may be sidelined for more questions, don't fear, its just straight forward stuff.

Keep copies of earlier 794's, EAD's, Letter from the place of work, and all other relevant docs which will emphasize that you are a valid resident Alien.

Tax Returns, w2's, last 6 paycheks, employee id's, your business cards etc..!

Enjoy your trip..

Cheers
Rxr.