• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

First entry minimal one month?

TommyEdo

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone please tell, how long must we stay in the US on first entry? Since we have alot of leftover things to do, especially involving family matters, we might not be able to stay longer than 2 weeks. We were told by words of mouth that it has to be at least 1 month. Is it true?

Furthermore, what tasks should be do after arrival within 14-day period?

Here is some list:
1) I know that GC and SS cold be sent later to whatever address we
designated, so just a waiting game.
2) Open a bank and credit card account.How easy/difficult is it?
3) Have my 17 year old son report for military reserve.
4) Get driver's license. Does one needs to take a written and physical test,
if one already owned an expired California license (got it 20 yrs ago)?
5) Health insurance. Anyone could suggest a good insurance company in CA
with low fee but high deductible?
6) Apply Reentry permit. Can finger-printing be done at embassy of country
of origin?
7) Would anyone care to expand the list?

Your answers would be appreciated.

It is myth that you have to stay a fixed time the frist time you enter the US. If you like, you can return the same day to your home country. ;)

Some remarks to your list:

1. SSN should arrive automatically, but most time that did not work. What we do is go to a SSN office to apply for it. You'll find the form there http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

2. Bank account is not a problem. At BoA you need two documents of identification (e.g. passport and a credit card). Look out to get an account with no monthly maintenance fee. Credit card could be a problem without a credit card history. BoA will give you a secured one for the first month. We have an American Express here in our home country and they offer global transfer program, so we have instantly a real one in hands.

3. no clue ;)

4. It is different from state to state if you need to do the tests. However, look at California DMV website what documents of identification they want.

5. Dont know any, my wifes employer pays it.

6. You must apply for re-entry permit in the US. That might be a time consuming process because effective March, 5th biometics are needed. http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/i-131_biometrics_uscisupdate_03052008.pdf

HERE ARE YOUR ANSWERS:
1) I know that GC and SS cold be sent later to whatever address we
designated, so just a waiting game.
TRUE. AS POINTED OUT BEST IS TO GO IN PERSON AND APPLY FOR IT.
MAKE SURE THAT RELIABLE ADDRESS IS PROVIDED ESPECIALLY FOR GC ARRIVAL.
2) Open a bank and credit card account.How easy/difficult is it?
BANK ACCOUNT IS EASY TO OPEN. CREDIT CARD WITHOUT HISTORY IS PRETTY HARD. BANKS LOOK AT YOUR JOB / ASSETS AND MIGHT INITIALLY APPROVE FOR $500 AND UP IT IN TIME.
3) Have my 17 year old son report for military reserve.
EVERY MALE 18-26 MUST REGISTER WITH SELECTIVE SERVICE. IN CASE IF DRAFT WILL BE REINSTATED OR THERE WILL BE EMERGENCY MILITARY ORDER (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) HE/SHE MIGHT BE ORDERED TO SERVE.
4) Get driver's license. Does one needs to take a written and physical test,
if one already owned an expired California license (got it 20 yrs ago)?
YES, MOST STATES WILL MAKE YOU TAKE BOTH EXAMS IF YOUR LICENSE EXPIRED OVER 1-2 YEARS. IF YOU HAVE YOUR HOME COUNTRY DRIVER LICENSE SOME STATES WILL ONLY MANDATE WRITTEN TEST.
5) Health insurance. Anyone could suggest a good insurance company in CA
with low fee but high deductible?
HEALTH INSURANCE IS VERY EXPENSIVE. IT MIGHT COST FOR A FAMILY OF 3-4 EASY $600+ FOR PREMIUMS ONLY.
WHOEVER GET EMPLOYED FIRST IN US, THEIR INSURANCE MIGHT COVER THE REST OF FAMILY MEMBERS.
6) Apply Reentry permit. Can finger-printing be done at embassy of country
of origin?
CHECK RENTRY PERMIT APPL. - EASIEST THING TO DO IS TO APPLY FOR IT WHILE IN US AND GO TO THE CLOSEST APPLICATION SUPPORT CENTER.
7) Would anyone care to expand the list?