Fingerprint Problem - Help

gita1974

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I got fingerprinted on Aug 31 and everything went fine during fingerprinting.
I just got a letter that I need to get the fingerprinting done again !!

The letter from Homeland Security say "unclassifiable" at the very top and this is written by somebody in pen. What does this mean ??? Any help will be appreciated.
thanks
Gita

Remember how fussy they were about your fingerprints the day that your prints were taken, and how someone came to check to make sure they were of the right quality.

I'm guessing that someone (who looked at your prints since they were taken) has decided that they don't meet the quality bar and they need to be retaken.

Most quality systems classify errors by type (for example, "blurry", "cracked", "too big a scar", etc). When your fingerprints got rejected, someone probably looked at the list of reasons and decided yours didn't fit any of the standard reasons and so the error was "unclassifiable".

Don't worry, just moisturize your hands for a few days and go back and get new prints. Don't leave until everyone agrees that your prints are OK.

This happened to me when I applied for GC. Some people's prints are not clear enough no matter what. I did FP twice back then and had to obtain police clearance after being "unclassifiable" for twice.

I just did FP last week for naturalization, they had a hard time again catching the good-quality ones. So I guess I may get another notice for another FP sometime soon, and then perhaps Police clearance is needed.

FP person told me usually the FP quality has to score 65 or so to pass. many of my fingers scored only 50 something.

Did your online status show a new LUD (last updated date) before you received the new FP notice? Just wonder when I'll receive the second FP notice.

police clearance

August2006,
Why did they need police clearance ? I am getting worried now since I have been arrested in the past and have been fingerprinted (my checks were stolen and somebody started using it, long story ...). Is this why my fingerprinting failed ?
please reply,
thanks
Gita

The point of all this is to find out your background. You need (actually "needed") to tell them about your arrest on the N-400 (that question about ever having been arrested).

I hope you didn't think that they wouldn't notice your arrest.

If you have proof that it was all a mistake then there is should be no problem.

gita1974 said:
August2006,
Why did they need police clearance ? I am getting worried now since I have been arrested in the past and have been fingerprinted (my checks were stolen and somebody started using it, long story ...). Is this why my fingerprinting failed ?
please reply,
thanks
Gita
gita,when i initially saw your post,your id sounded very familiar... :)
now i remember who you are...i dont think that is the reason why your finger prints failed...
its probably some technical issue...again which is out of our scope coz at every fp office there is a qa who checks if the specimen is allright,u might have seen there is a supervisor who comes and checks fp's as they are doing..
cant figure out what the reason is though..dont worry u will be allright...u have the court dispositions right?

My fingerprints

I also had to go in twice for fingerprinting for N-400. The notice for second fingerprinting came a month after first fingerprinting, and was a surprise. I went second time, but again they could not capture the fingerprints to a good quality.

If you are getting electronic fingerprints, make sure that the finger being printed is actually the finger that is displayed on the screen. Basically, the screen will show which finger is to be fingerprinted next. In my case, the officer was making many mistakes.

A couple of days after fingerprinting, you may call FBI to find out if the fingerprints were good quality.

After my second fingerprints did not come ok, I got a letter within 3-4 days asking me to get a letter from local police. They also scheduled my interview in line with my priority date.

During my N-400 interview, I was asked for that letter and the office kept the original with her.

Good luck to you.
Faridabadi

Just like what Faridabadi said, if the FP are unclassifiable for twice, they usually request police clearance from you. In my case, I don't think they will catch good-quality fingerprints even for the second time (it's not a surprise after several years of washing dishes and cooking meals:).

Faridabadi, you said FBI would tell you whether your FP are of good quality. I thought they only let you know whether they send the results back to USCIS. Could you verify this please? Thanks!

My fingerprints

Aug2006 said:
Just like what Faridabadi said, if the FP are unclassifiable for twice, they usually request police clearance from you. In my case, I don't think they will catch good-quality fingerprints even for the second time (it's not a surprise after several years of washing dishes and cooking meals:).

Faridabadi, you said FBI would tell you whether your FP are of good quality. I thought they only let you know whether they send the results back to USCIS. Could you verify this please? Thanks!

I called FBI after my second fingerprinting and asked them for the results. The lady from FBI was very polite and confirmed that even the second set of fingerprints was not good quality. She also said that "it is not very uncommon". And she told me to contact USCIS to find out what to do next.

Good luck.
Faridabadi.

police clearance

All,
Yes. I do have all the docs available to prove my innocence. My only concern was if I would have to go to the police station. What do they as us to do there ?

thanks
Sunil

FP quality

after learning from your collective experience on this forum, I "practiced" for my FR "test" by not doing any manual labor such as yardwork or dishes for a couple weeks. nevertheless most of the right hand had to be done twice. I checked the screen for quality number of 65 or better before I would allow the operator to call the QA supervisor, who just seemed to make a very cursory inspection with everyone.
a little chitchat with them helps in getting a good job done the first time.

FYI, I called FBI yesterday, and to my surprise, they told me my FP was clear enough. So even if the FP quality scores 50 something, it may still be acceptable. I'd been waiting for second FP notice, but guess I may not need it this time. I forgot how much my FP scored last time when I applied for GC, it must have been really low. It was winter back then, and that might be a factor.

What is the FBI Number to Call

I just finished my FP appointment today and the person who took my prints had to re-do them over and over again several times. I am not sure if the final submission was of acceptable quality. I plan to call the FBI a couple of days from now to check if the FPs are of good quality. Can someone please tell me what number I should call and what info I need to provide them when I call? Thanks in advance for the info.

- Ravi

Ravi:

Call 304-625-5590, and press 3 or stay on the line. they need your A# and date of birth. FP result is usually sent back to USCIS the same day or the next business day after you take the FP.

confirmed! I just checked with the FBI at the above number and they confirmed that they were sent back the same day they were taken - on a Saturday.