find if your old employer has revoked your VISA. How to?

k9765

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I have got new visa from my employer in Jan. My old visa is (or was) vaild till Oct'2003 [i am not sure if my previous employer has revoked it...].

I want to make sure/confirm the validity of my old VISA (stamped on my passport, and has expiry date as Oct'03). Plz. inform how can i find out that? without asking my previous employer, i.e. (which is not possible. :) ).

(coz if it is not vaild (i.e. has been revoked by old employer), then i think i can go for stamping in US itself, before going for a trip home.) &/Otherwise (if it is valid then, i think i can travel to India and come back on it an dthen apply for stamping in US under the 60 day rule.)

All replies, suggestions, advice and insights are appreciated. Experts and konwledgable ppl, plz. show the light and help releave thi stension in my head.

So, again, in summary, is there any way by which i can confirm the validty of my old employers' VISA?

Thank you,

always gratefull
K

k9765@rediffmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by k9765
Hello all,

I have got new visa from my employer in Jan. My old visa is (or was) vaild till Oct'2003 [i am not sure if my previous employer has revoked it...].

I want to make sure/confirm the validity of my old VISA (stamped on my passport, and has expiry date as Oct'03). Plz. inform how can i find out that? without asking my previous employer, i.e. (which is not possible. :) ).

(coz if it is not vaild (i.e. has been revoked by old employer), then i think i can go for stamping in US itself, before going for a trip home.) &/Otherwise (if it is valid then, i think i can travel to India and come back on it an dthen apply for stamping in US under the 60 day rule.)

All replies, suggestions, advice and insights are appreciated. Experts and konwledgable ppl, plz. show the light and help releave thi stension in my head.

So, again, in summary, is there any way by which i can confirm the validty of my old employers' VISA?

Thank you,

always gratefull
K

k9765@rediffmail.com

Only consular officer or immigration officer have the authority to issue/cancel visas. A VISA stamp once issued remains valid until it expires OR when a consular officer/immigration officer cancels it. Your previous employer CANNOT cancel your visa, he can only cancel your H1 status. Even in that case, the visa continues to be valid if you have another valid H1 status.

does the CO/IO contacts u....????

NKM, First of all thanks for the fast response, and ur help...

Does Counslor Officer / Immigration Officer contacts u (the candidate) in person, if he wants to cancel the stamped VISA?
If yes, no one has contacted me so far.... that means i am safe?
If not, then how to find if the VISA is still valid?? (the exp. date is of Oct'2003.)

Yes I had, new, vaild H1B, before leaving my last emplyoer.

Conclusion: That means I can travel on this VISA (a trip home) and come back and then get my new VISA stamped in US under 60 day rule....

Thanks again for your valuble insight.

Re: does the CO/IO contacts u....????

Originally posted by k9765
NKM, First of all thanks for the fast response, and ur help...

Does Counslor Officer / Immigration Officer contacts u (the candidate) in person, if he wants to cancel the stamped VISA?
If yes, no one has contacted me so far.... that means i am safe?
If not, then how to find if the VISA is still valid?? (the exp. date is of Oct'2003.)

Yes I had, new, vaild H1B, before leaving my last emplyoer.

Conclusion: That means I can travel on this VISA (a trip home) and come back and then get my new VISA stamped in US under 60 day rule....

Thanks again for your valuble insight.

Your visa can be cancelled only if you get involved/prosecuted in a criminal case. Sometimes when you get another visa, old valid visas are cancelled by the consular officer. If you try to enter US and the immigration officer has grounds to prevent you from entering, he may cancel your visa at that time.

You do not have to worry about this at all.

You can travel with your current visa as long as it is valid. If you change status to another category like L1 or F1, you will need a new visa.

NKM, Thanks a lot !!!

you are really doing a great help to ppl like me. Can't thank enough !! :)

I have no such bad record, anywhere, watsoever. (due to lack of expert knowledge, ) i was thinking that my previous employer had revoked my VISA, in addition to my old H1b. and VISA officer may just scrap my VISA from their books, while me sittin here (workin for another emp.) happily, thinkin that my VISA is valid....

is there any way to 'confirm' if my old VISA is vaild? (or do u mean they actually delete it on passport?)

Sorry but me just being paranoid. I think immigration authorities have gone carzy after bad incident of 9/11 (listening to hardships they are giving to other ppl now-a-days..), so just wanted to be 200% sure of a surprise free visit. :)

Thanks again. allmost all my questions were answered by you. thanks for ur goodness.

K

Cancelled visas have either a "CANCELLED WITHOUT PREJUDICE" stamp on it or a hand written line cross it.