Finally my GC journey is over on 10/09/2007....

winny1971

Registered Users (C)
Finally the GC journey for myself and my wife seems to have comes to an end. Apologies for posting such a long post but hopefully its useful for some people. Here is a quick timeline of events.

- Came to US in 1997, applied for GC in 1999 and switched companies in 2000. Again applied for GC in Sep 2001 (that dreadful month).

- Labor was cleared in Jan 2003 after a RFE. 485 was received by INS in Apr 2003. Have been applying for EADs and APs every year since then for myself and spouse.

- FP1 on Oct 2004. Around this time became a member of this forum. Wrote an email to FBI in Dec 2004 to find status of NameChec. Learnt that Namecheck was initiated only in Mar 2005.

- Last week of June 2005, spouse (derivative) got approved while I had to face retrogression as Namecheck wasn't clear. Spouse even got her PP stamped with I-551 stamp and twice travelled overseas on that stamp while I used my APs. Did a FOIPA and it came back with all clear.

- Around one year later in Apr 2006, went for restamping I-551 stamp for spouse, was told by Newark, NJ IO that stamping was done in error and it had to be revoked since Primary (myself) wasn't approved yet. My lawyers, who are usually not very prompt, were very quick to communicate with USCIS to get the stamping cancelled and apply for spouse's EAD and AP ($$$)

- At this time contacted local Congressman's office. Only help I got from them was that I did not have to use the POJ method to hear he same lousy status info "Waiting for Security Clearance". Opened couple of SR but always got the same message. Finally in Jan 2007, the SR returned a different message that "Visa not available" although I couldn't confirm from the Infopass that my Namecheck was clear.

- In Mar 2007, the cases were transferred from VSC to TSC. It probably triggered the FP2 and got the FP2 scheduled date in May 2007. Spouse didn't receive any FP notice. Called up TSC using POJ and IO said that she would try to initiate one. On FP2 date went for FP. Requested and almost pleaded with ASC to also take FP2 for spouse although we didn;t have any FP2 notice for spouse. Don't know what happened that she was able to generate a FP2 notice for spouse but for a week later and didn't want to do an early FP2 for her. So went to a different ASC and got spouse FP2 also done. Lesson - Sometimes being persuasive with USCIS also helps.

- In Jun 2007 when dates became current for my category (EB3 India), called TSC a couple of times and was told that still waiting for Security Clearance. Was so frustated to hear this answer and lost hope. Scheduled one final infopass for Jun 30 to find exactly what is the status. Finally told that NameCheck was cleared in mid Sep 2005. To confirm if they were giving me accurate info, asked them when was spouse namecheck cleared. The date provided matched the date provided by FBI in an email response in May 2005 (Yeah FBI used to send email responses once upon a time). A little relief finally.

- Moved to a different state in Jul 2007. Setup Premium Forwarding Mail Service with USPS. Though a bit expensive, it forwards all kinds of mail including Return Service Requested mails to the new address. Although had updated change of address to USCIS on phone as well as website, wasn't too sure based on prior change of address experience.

- Jul 13, 2007 - Finally got the email from USCIS that my 485 was finally approved. Called up TSC using POJ and was told spouse wasn't approved and didn't have any info on that case. Made a few TSC calls over the next couple of weeks and was told sometimes that Spouse is approved in Jun 2005 and sometimes told don't know what is happening with the case and waiting to be assigned to officer. As for my case, they said they could not send me the card as biometrics were not loaded although I had my bios in May 2007. In the meanwhile recd. my approval notice courtesy the Premium Forwarding Service. It was sent to my old address and got forwarded to my new address.

- In Aug 2007, after not getting any info, went to local congresswoman's office in the new state. Here met with a really nice lady (My GC Angel). She immediately sent out an email with all copies of our notices/approvals etc to the local USCIS office and asking them the status of our GCs. She also gave us a letter in the US Congress Official letterhead of the Congresswoman to be taken to the local USCIS for an infopass we had scheduled. At the infopass, surprisingly, they stamped my wife's PP with I-551 stamp for a year along with the stamp for me. We didn't bother to ask when my wife was approved. My wife in fact travelled with the new I-551 stamp, although she had a valid AP too. Lesson - Sometimes it better to keep your mouth shut...

- In Sep 2007, recd a biometric notice again only for self. However, didn't receive the bio notice for spouse. Again followed up with the nice lady at local Congresswoman's office if she could initiate the biometric notice for spouse. She again sent emails to relevant people requesting for the same. I didn't hear anything further on it and was resigned to the fact that I would have to go for bio alone on the scheduled day at 8:00 am. At 6:30 pm, the day before my scheduled date, I receive a call from the same wonderful lady at the Congresswoman's office saying that she was able to get ASC to issue a biometric for my wife and the letter to that effect would be available at the security desk of the local ASC where I was scheduled to go. She advised that both of us should go for our bios together. The next morning when we went there, the security lady at the desk had the letter confirming the biometrics notice for my wife and we both did our Code 2 bios that took less than a min for each of us. Lesson - Miracles do happen...

- As soon as I came back from the Bio, checked my email and there were emails confirming that Card Production had been ordered for my wife while my case read - "This case was transferred to TSC in Mar". Called up TSC who advised to wait for a few days for bio to be loaded. I didn't want to mention that my wife had her bios done together and she got the card production email just in case if it affect her card.

- Oct 1, 2007, got the card mailed email for wife. Called up TSC and again IO says that bios are not available and might have to go for bio again. Not trying to lose my cool, I told the lady IO this time that I had my repeat bios taken already along with my wife and her card had been emailed. On hearing this she said she would send an email to the god knows what "Electronics Dept" to upload my bio. Asked me to check back in 2 weeks.

- Oct 2, 2007 - Got the card production ordered email for self.
- Oct 5, 2007 - Got spouse card sent to old address and forwarded to new address courtesy the Premium Forwarding service from USPS.
- Oct 9, 2007 - Received my GC after 6 years 1 month and 3 days

This forum has been really very informative and supportive for people like us. Learnt many more things from this forum than from any lawyer or anybody else. Whenever possible, tried to advise others provided I was confident of the information. Hopefully, this forum will prove to be helpful to others too.

Congrats!

Wow! that sure is one long journey! Congrats!!!

---------------------------------------
PD - Aug 31, 2001, EB3 India
485 filed at TSC
RD : June 6, 2007
ND: June 15, 2007
FP done on 7/11
485 LUDs for self and spouse: 6/16, 7/12
I131(AP) (self) LUDs on 6/16, 7/2, 7/3, AD - 7/11
I131 (AP) (spouse) LUDs on 6/16, 7/24, AD - 08/06
EAD ( spouse) LUD 6/16, AD -7/26
EAD ( self ) LUD 6/16, AD - 7/27

Congratulations! winny1971

Congratulation! winny1971
Enjoy your free time. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
Thanks for sharing :eek:

Thank You

Thanks to StillAlive, p235, YetToLoseHope, reason, hello.mohan, zinchak, haoyun04, VJ2004, Babuji_1 and hippos for their best wishes. All the best to those still waiting...

Try all avenues and have loads of patiences is my piece of advice to all waiting for approval.

Cheers!