Finally Landed .:)

rohit_vyas

First of all i would like to thank you all. It was a great cooperation and support i received from this and a few other forums through out the processing of my file.
My case was typical one as i moved out from Canada the day i sent my application to CIC, Buffalo.

Here is my experience:

I reached Canada in Nov 2007 on 2 yrs work permit. I prepared my application by getting information from these forums and sent my application on 8th Feb 2008 to Buffalo and same day i caught flight to return back to my home country India. Then i started thinking whether i would be getting AOR or not, however i received AOR along with IELTS request in MAY 2008. Few members in forum used to say that as I didn’t stay in Canada for 1 yr before apply, my application would be rejected.

Timelines:
Applied on 14th Feb 2008 at CIC Buffalo
IELTS submitted on 31st July 2008
File transferred to CIC NewYork Sept 2008
Received letter to submit medical 26th Oct 2008
Medical submitted on 26th Dec 2008
Received letter to submit passport 15th Mar 2009.
Passport submitted on 7th May 2009
Passport received on 14th May 2009
Landed at Niagara Falls on 16th May 2009.
Returned same day back to India.

Even when i was going to NewYork from India to submit passport i was thinking if CIC would come to know that i was out of Canada and they would not issue me a Visa but nothing happened of that sort .. :) .

I was having B1/B2 visa of US so i went personally to submit passport.

How to reach CIC NewYork:
Get down at "Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd Street" if you are traveling by bus or at NJ-Transit "Penn Station-NewYork" if you are coming from New Jersey side. From both these stations you can walk down to CIC NY which is not more than a mile or 1.5 miles. If whether is good then better to walk down otherwise one can take subway which takes hardly 2 mins to reach 50th Street station which is nearest subway station to CIC.

CIC NY takes 7 days (Thrusday to next Thrusday) to issue a visa. So I received stamped passport back on 14th May 09. I had to be there to collect passport before 3pm but I was late by 15mins and initially security didnt allow me to enter but i showed them my return tkt to India which was on 17th May 09 and then only they allowed me. Visa limit was up to the expiry date of my medical minus one month which was 21st Nov 2009. My medical expiry date is 21st Dec 2009.

Started for Landing:
I rented a car and started for Niagara Falls border on 15th evening at 5:00. I reached US side Niagara Falls at 6AM on 16th May 09. It takes 8-9hrs to reach by car.
You can find 2 parking there at US side. One charges 10$ and other 5$. 5$ one is a back side of Niagara Falls information center. On the road which goes to bridge to Canada, you can find one Punjabi Restaurant and one more Indian Restaurant.

At 8:00AM I started walking down on bridge to enter Canada. Before leaving US i met the US border immigration officer becoz i had to come back to US the same day. Then i reached Canada side and one officer was sitting who asked me few questions like how long you would be in Canada and i told them that i would be here only for couple of hrs. Then she asked when i would return back to Canada to live permanently. Then she gave me one yellow sheet and asked me to go to CABA office which was opposite side. There officer asked me about Bank statement. I was having 8kUSD cash and bank statement from Indian Bank of 3k CAD. I was having 1 more bank statement which was in Indian Rupees and Fixed Deposits all are in Indian Rupees. Total i could manage to show 25k CAD equivalent amount. He took 10mins to finish formalities and then asked me to go to Costumes which was there in same hall. There they asked me to declare things i would be carrying while coming next time to stay permanently. I filled one form for that and also gave me one form which they asked me to fill when i come next time to get the PR Cards. They handed me one form which was equivalent to PR card and using which i could get entry next time.

Then i came out from that office and when i saw Niagara Falls this time, it was a very different. I was having different feeling as compared to the last time when i saw it, when i was there on Work Permit.

While returning no need to go for immigration check. If you are walking back to US side, carry 50 (25*2) cents coins as there is a fee to come out from Canada.

In return, US officer was asking lot of questions and I was lucky as I went through immigration before leaving though its not necessary to go through the immigration(nobody even ask and even Canadian officer doesn’t bother at all). He asked me at which counter I reached while going to Canada and he confirmed by asking officer at that counter. He was asking me how would I reach NY and I told that I would catch a bus. Then he asked how would you reach to bus terminal(Grayhond), and I said I would catch a cab. He was unnecessarily asking some silly questions but finally he allowed me to enter into US.

Once again thanks a lot for your co-operation.
Best wishes to all of you.

Hi,

Read your post. Very detailed and inspiring!!

I have not yet started for Canada PR. Would like to know few things before I actually Apply.

Here is my story...
(Please bear with me, But the series of questions I am going to put forward requires that the reader should know few facts.)

I am an Indian Citizen having Bachalores Of Engineering in Information Technology (Pass out year - 2005). I have around 4.2 years of experience (as of 08/19/2009).

For 1.3 years I had worked in a small Software firm in India (May-05 to July-2006. Later, I joined another firm in Aug-06 and till the date I am working for the same firm.

However, my second and current firm applied for L1 visa and I got transferred to its sister concern in USA. My first trip to USA was from April-08 to Feb-09. For two months, I went back to india and then came back in April-09.

I am still in USA and probably would be going back to India in mid Oct-09 which is two months from now and I might not come back for long period.

Recently, I came to know that process (for Canada PR) has been changed from April, 09 and now we have to send CIO checklist docs to Canada first (along with Draft ofcourse). If they find the information ok then they will generate file and ask use to submit required documents to the office which we have chosen.

Here are the things which I would like to know to get myself started.

(1) Can I apply from Buffalo? [I am planning to apply in last week of August-09]

(2) If yes, then after going back to India, if they send approval stating me to go ahead in the process and send further documents to Buffalo, can i send documents to Buffalo office from India. Please note that friend (US citizen) of mine will receive the docs (of approval in US) and send me to India.

(3) If answer to above questions is Yes, Once received docs in India, What other docs shall I need?

Few, on top of my head, are....

- Medical Certificate
- IELTS Score
- Police clearance certificate, both from US and India [as they ask for all the country's police clearance where we have stayed in last six months]
- Funds details
- BEIT Transcript [sealed]

Please specify all other which you know.

(4) I have heard that all the applications done from Buffalo get faster response then having applied from India, Is it true or just a myth ?

If there is some other better way, please suggest.

Thanks,
sid

Last edited by a moderator: