Filing questions

fanner

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am applying to get a Green Card through my wife who is a citizen. I will be filing at the San Jose office. I have a few questions:
1. Do we need to go to the office and stand in line to submit the application? Or is drop box available? Is the drop box the only option?
2. The instructions for I-130 say that they need originals as well as the copy. My wife will use her passport to prove that she is a citizen. Do we need to put her passport in the packet too? I am concerned that if drop box is the only option, she won't have her passport with her for a while.
3. My wife is not currently working. She however needs to file the affidavit of support. Since we have been living together for more than 6 months, according to the instructions in 864, I can add my income as an immigrant/household member. I will be filing the 864A to say that I will be responsible for supporting the immigrant (which is me)! Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fanner

2) do NOT submit the originals. Copies are sufficient for I-130/I-485 filing, and the originals are brought to the interview.
3) Yes, you can be your own co-sponsor. you can also enlist the help of other qualifying relatives/friends.