Filing Perm Without Attorney

* laughter * Good luck. The process is so complex that I can't even imagine doing it without a law firm. There are SO many regulations (I've got the book on my desk... it's about 3 inches thick) that it would be nearly impossible to file it without an immigration attorney. NOTE that I said IMMIGRATION attorney. Not general attorney, not employment attorney. I have seen a LOT of cases that have been denied that we have had to re-do because of other firms' mistakes. We review each case on 5 separate occasions to omit any potential errors. Also, I've heard of cases getting denied and the people getting barred for filing anymore cases because of a typo! Eek! That'd be a difficult task to put on just anyone's shoulders.

My advice? It's your LIFE at stake. It's definitely better to be safe than sorry. Bite the bullet and pay the money to a reputable law firm who will do it right for you the first time.

st4rguitar - Interesting perspective when you mentioned that your "life is at stake". Frankly, a lot of people view the US as the land of opportunity and the land of easy money. While this may be true at the very beginning one's career , this is not always true in terms of the achieving one's long term career potential. Being in the US, one gives up a lot in order to be here (family, friends etc.) and also a lot in terms of career opportunity - I mean there are tons of places in the world (not to mention one's own country) that one can earn a good living and have a good life and the US is merely one of such places where there is a perception that things are easier.

So, I wouldn't equate getting your green card with one's life. While getting a green card is desirable, its certainly not the end of the world if one fails to obtain a green card. If there are delays, or if your H1 is going to expire, move on.....move back to your country, see what's there for you and if things don't work out back home, there is always a way to move back to the states. It is most certainly not the end of your life. Who knows, one might achieve more monetary and personal success elsewhere (and not in the US). Just my 2 cents.

Chhaya - Now back to the subject of doing a PERM case yourself. It is certainly possible to do a PERM case without an attorney. However, I wouldn't do it as the PERM regulations are voluminous, and if you make it mistake, you basically will cost yourself valuable time. Again, just my 2 cents. If you need a affordable attorney, let me know and I can recommend you someone.

Yes it is a very complicated process, BUT we filed two PERM applications WITHOUT any attorneys involved. One got certified in 7 days, and second one in 60 days.

Do your homework good.

Jadoo85

Great stuff dude. Clearly you don't need an attorney or a paralegal to do it for you, but its risky. Enough said...

mkung --

I think st4rguitar is talking about the fact that a lot of us immigrants have been here for a very long time, and are almost settled here. We have ambitions, plans, families, friends here, so although half of our minds and bodies belong to back home, the other half belongs to here. I don't think anyone would like the idea of running out of options and going back; it is always best to go back just because you want to, not because there is no other option.

My two cents as well.

With the "life at stake" comment -- we have a client who's GC was applied as a derivative of her husband, and now her husband has died. I'd say her future is at stake. We have another client who found out her husband has a serious disease that she didn't know before she became pregnant, who has now may have passed it onto her child, and she is desparate for medical care and attention here inthe US. I'd say her life is at stake. If you don't want to go the "life" route, how about "plans" or "future". People come here looking for something better, and that's what we're trying to give them. For some people, like the ones who call me sobbing because a relative has died and they can't go home, or any of the above situations, THEY feel that their lives are at stake.
Anyway, I definitely don't need to defend my professional nor personal opinion of the severity of people's futures here with you.

Jadoo -- That is AWESOME that you got those PERM cases approved. Congratulations. I'm very impressed. Good luck with the I-140 & I-485. If you get a financial RFE or ability to pay RFE or company immigration history RFE, I wouldn't doubt you'll have to call an attorney.

Immi - Thanks for your "stand up" comments. Yes, you said it well. A typo can leave someone with NO options. That's what I was going for with "severity" or the situation.

Thanks st4rguitar. I 140 and 485 is more complicated issue than PERM. Our Attorney in NY is doing awesome job with that. He had I 140 approved through permium processing with in few days, and now I am waiting in line for 485.

I completely agree with your comments. Immigration and USCIS is very complicated, rather a mess, and only professionals should be let to deal with it.

Jadoo85

st4rguitar said:
Jadoo -- That is AWESOME that you got those PERM cases approved. Congratulations. I'm very impressed. Good luck with the I-140 & I-485. If you get a financial RFE or ability to pay RFE or company immigration history RFE, I wouldn't doubt you'll have to call an attorney.

Immi - Thanks for your "stand up" comments. Yes, you said it well. A typo can leave someone with NO options. That's what I was going for with "severity" or the situation.

Perm without attorney

Yes my employer and I worked on my PERM application together with absolutely no attornery involved. The information is out there to answer all the required questions. You HAVE to do your homework and read all the info available on the DOL/USCIS web sites. Pay particular attention to timings of newspaper ads, filing of job with a SWA etc - don'f forget you cannot file for PERM until 30 days has elapsed after these procedures.

Take it easy

Hey relax guys, I think BB is doing a great job, providing a much needed legal perspective that is backed by her personal experience as a immigration paralegal. That's much better than our perceptions about the immigration process.

This is not to say that all attorneys or paralegals are necessarily perfect (I'm in the process of suffering due to the ineptitude of a previous attorney) but based on the comments from BB, I can tell he/she knows what he/she is saying.

mkung said:
wow...you even bothered to respond. enough said. Good luck to all

Thanks, GotGC. I appreciate your kind words. I'm definitely doing my best... and not to sound snotty, but since I'm not even involved with THIS law firm, I think it's kinda generous to give this information out at all, not on the clock, just trying to help. I needed a new hobby... and I really am enjoying this a lot, actually! :) Thanks again :)

GotGC?? said:
Hey relax guys, I think BB is doing a great job, providing a much needed legal perspective that is backed by her personal experience as a immigration paralegal. That's much better than our perceptions about the immigration process.

This is not to say that all attorneys or paralegals are necessarily perfect (I'm in the process of suffering due to the ineptitude of a previous attorney) but based on the comments from BB, I can tell he/she knows what he/she is saying.

Yes. I filed mine on my own. Couldn't afford a lawyer moneywise or timewise. I was very pushed for time with an expiring H1B.
I just got certified in Atlanta in 75 days (EB3). It does take a lot of research and careful planning. But it's definitely possible.
I've always handled my own applications from J1 to H1Bs.

congrats and i really happy for you

frankly, the wait is insane and we have to jump through hoops all the time. but, hey good luck (i'll need it as well). I am working on the I140 and I485 now, getting all the stuff ready prior to the holidays.

Best of luck with the next stages Mkung! I'm putting my I-140 together while I wait for the PERM notification. Hoping to get it premium processed within a month or so.

Lucky you that you can file I485. I'm stuck in EB3. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the new govt will kick off the immigration bill soon. All media seem to agree that Bush's view (more visa numbers) aligns well with the new democrat house (& senate)...

lastminuter said:
Yes. I filed mine on my own. Couldn't afford a lawyer moneywise or timewise. I was very pushed for time with an expiring H1B.
I just got certified in Atlanta in 75 days (EB3). It does take a lot of research and careful planning. But it's definitely possible.
I've always handled my own applications from J1 to H1Bs.

Can you help my with few examples of AD..please. For Software engineer!!!!
I'm at the first step.....a lot of stress...

jadoo85 said:
Yes it is a very complicated process, BUT we filed two PERM applications WITHOUT any attorneys involved. One got certified in 7 days, and second one in 60 days.

Do your homework good.

Jadoo85

Can you help my with few examples od AD? Software engineer!!!!