Filing of Naturalization process

supply_demand

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I got my GC approval in July 2007 and my spouse got it the next month in August 2007. Can I apply for naturalization process for both me and my wife end of April (4 years and 9 months as I was primary) or do I wait till end of May 2012 so both of us complete the 4 years and 9 months period?

During the last 5 years we were outside the coutry for around 3 weeks -- twice (vacation to India) and I had a few week long business trips. What is the maximum time limit that you can cumulatively stay outside the country. Given this time outside the country can I still file for the process end May or do I need to wait?

Also can someone point me to some links for the information on the specific process (what forms to file and what to expect after that)? Anyone with experience filing for the process in the San Jose CA area on how much time this whole process is currently taking?

Thanks

You are eligible to apply for naturalization not earlier than 90 days before July 2012 (use exact "resident since" date from your green card). Your spouse is eligible to apply for naturalization not earlier than 90 days before August 2012. You need to meet the date requirements independently. If you want to apply together, you must wait until your spouse is eligible (in May 2012).

Your time spent out of US is quite small and does not push out your date of eligibility.

Please read the uscis.gov website under 'Citizenship" which very clearly describes the exact process. You can also download and read "A guide to Naturalization" here->

I got my GC approval in July 2007 and my spouse got it the next month in August 2007. Can I apply for naturalization process for both me and my wife end of April (4 years and 9 months as I was primary) or do I wait till end of May 2012 so both of us complete the 4 years and 9 months period?

Consider that as 5 years minus 90 days rule or you can use USCIS Calculator.

Also can someone point me to some links for the information on the specific process (what forms to file and what to expect after that)? Anyone with experience filing for the process in the San Jose CA area on how much time this whole process is currently taking?

Use following forms:
  1. N400
  2. G1145

Good Luck,

Hi,

In addition to what the others wrote above: you cannot "apply for naturalization process for both me and my wife". Naturalization applications are submitted individually, not jointly, regardless of how GCs were obtained. You will have to submit your N-400 when you become eligible, and your wife will have to submit her N-400 when she becomes eligible.

It is best that you and your wife file in your citizenship applications well beyond May 2012. Wait for a weeks after May 2012 and then file it. Also you need to file N-400 separatley for you and your wife. Although you may file in youe applications at the same time, there is no assurance that they will be processed simultaneously; that you will have same time appointments and interviews.

Docs to be sent with N-400 filing

We're planning to send in the forms for N-400 early next month.

Here below is the list of docs that I'm planning to send with my N-400 app:
1. Cover Letter
2. Copy of Green Card(front & back)
3. Two Color Photos
4. Personal check for the processing fee

Do I need send my FL driving history record along with my app (or) Do I need that only at the time of interview ?

I have never been arrested for anything and never divorced. Me and my wife are applying based on 5 years - 90 days after approval of our employment based green card.

Am I missing any other docs here?

Thanks Everyone!!

5. attach a copy of your marriage certificate.

Even if you are not applying for naturalization based on marriage, the IO will most definitely ask for this if you state you are married. No need to attach your DL or driving history.