Filing N400

qazxsw

Registered Users (C)
I will have to leave for India for a short trip just before the 90 day period.

Can I sign and date my application (95th day) and then my wife send it, say 85th day, to the USCIS?

Do you see any problem with that?

Thanks!

Can I sign and date my application (95th day) and then my wife send it, say 85th day, to the USCIS?

Thanks!

Just sign and date it the 89th day and have your wife send it a week after that. They get picky about exactly 90 days.

Thanks NewRunner

But I have to leave 95th day, so the signature will not be on 89th day.

Is that a big problem?

Thanks NewRunner

But I have to leave 95th day, so the signature will not be on 89th day.

Is that a big problem?

I don't think so. but how did you list your planed trip on the N400?
If you signed on the 89th day, then the trip you started on 95th day
should be listed. If I were the IO and just wanted to mess with you I
can say so how you signed your N 400 when you were not in the USA
you can answer: I signed it before I left and predated it or I signed in
in India (or any other country) and mailed the form to my wife and she
mailed to you.

How long are you going to stay outside USA? The FP appointment
can be very fast nowadays, typically withinn 40 days from the date
you send your N400. Don't miss that

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!

Yeah, this is one of those cases where, on one hand, most likely whichever way you do it, there won't be any problems and, on the other hand, if you are unlucky and get an asinine IO, there could be a problem.

I would not date the application on the 95th day as this might really raise the stink at the interview if the IO notices (otherwise what's to prevent somebody from signing and dating an N-400, say, 200 days in advance and mailing it on the 90th day?).

On the other hand, if the application is dated with 85th day, then all the information contained in the application must be correct as of the 85th day. This means that the trip you are taking just before the 90th day would have to be listed there (but probably only with the departure date and with a blank return date). I think it is OK for you to do precisely that, since I do not believe there is a requirement for you to be physically present in the U.S. when N-400 is filed.

However, since you say that it is a short trip, it is much better to wait until you come back and submit your N-400 then. This will solve all the problems, give you the peace of mind and save you a lot of mental aggravation.

Thanks!

Better come back and file if you will be gone for a short period of time. Anyway if it is long trip, you may miss the fingerprints appointment which is usually anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

However, since you say that it is a short trip, it is much better to wait until you come back and submit your N-400 then. This will solve all the problems, give you the peace of mind and save you a lot of mental aggravation.

and another advantage of filing later is that there are reports some people
got their interview date before 90 is up and USCIS reschedule the interview.
The time lost due to rescheduling can be way much more than the time lost due to delaying of filing