Filing Lawsuit - My experience

memme

Registered Users (C)
As planned, I have filed the lawsuit for the unreasonable delay in processing of my I485 due to pending name check.

Preparation: Needless to say, almost all the information I got was from this forum. I will always be very thankful to the gurus here. The case preparation was easy when I start from a template. I just had to add more facts that were specific to my situation. On top of that, I prepared summons for each defendant. Cover sheet was not needed for Pre Se filing in my district. Even summons were not needed to be prepared by me. But, I prepared them as I didn't want to wait for the court to send them. Exhibits (or attachments) were as follows:

1. Initial receipt
  2. Interview appointment letter
  3. Sheet given by interviewer stating name check is pending
  4. Email from the congress man
  5. Letter from Senator's office
  6. Response to FOIPA request
  7. Letter to FBI for expediting name check completion
  8. Letter to USCIS ombudsman
  9. Notice of legal action to local USCIS
  10. Notice of legal action to USCIS/DHS chief counsel

Filing: This was a breeze. I thought there will be long queue (like DMV / MVD). However, there was no one. The staff was courteous. They took my stuff (which was well organized). Out of the 3 copies of the complaint, they kept the original and 1 copy. The third one was given back to me after marking received. Summons that were pre-printed were marked by the raised seal of the court, signed by the clerk and then given back to me. Fee was paid to a cashier's window by personal check. I noticed that they accepted credit cards as well. Also, all the documents were stamped with my case number.

District - Arizona. Court - Phoenix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck! Give it a couple of weeks then called the assistant US attorney and introduce yourself. hopefully they'll get it worked out for you soon.

Good luck meme. Hope this gets resolved quickly. I am in the exactly the same situation as you and my 485 filing date about the same as yours.

One question regarding the exhibits that you prepared - What is the letter to the USCIS ombudsman?

Thanks

memme said:
As planned, I have filed the lawsuit for the unreasonable delay in processing of my I485 due to pending name check.

Preparation: Needless to say, almost all the information I got was from this forum. I will always be very thankful to the gurus here. The case preparation was easy when I start from a template. I just had to add more facts that were specific to my situation. On top of that, I prepared summons for each defendant. Cover sheet was not needed for Pre Se filing in my district. Even summons were not needed to be prepared by me. But, I prepared them as I didn't want to wait for the court to send them. Exhibits (or attachments) were as follows:

1. Initial receipt
  2. Interview appointment letter
  3. Sheet given by interviewer stating name check is pending
  4. Email from the congress man
  5. Letter from Senator's office
  6. Response to FOIPA request
  7. Letter to FBI for expediting name check completion
  8. Letter to USCIS ombudsman
  9. Notice of legal action to local USCIS
  10. Notice of legal action to USCIS/DHS chief counsel

Filing: This was a breeze. I thought there will be long queue (like DMV / MVD). However, there was no one. The staff was courteous. They took my stuff (which was well organized). Out of the 3 copies of the complaint, they kept the original and 1 copy. The third one was given back to me after marking received. Summons that were pre-printed were marked by the raised seal of the court, signed by the clerk and then given back to me. Fee was paid to a cashier's window by personal check. I noticed that they accepted credit cards as well. Also, all the documents were stamped with my case number.

District - Arizona. Court - Phoenix.

Keep in mind that the 60-day starts from the day of the last person served. Most people think it is when you serve the US attorney, but this is false.

I know this becuase I filed a lawsuit in Phoenix too, and I used the best attorney in the South West to do it. I am personally intrested to know the details of your suit as I will be very happy to share mine. Please send me a private message with the detail.

Good luck, Shaffi

My friend (a US citizen) has been waiting over 3 years for her husband's name check to clear - even longer than you. I will send her this thread to show her that there is something you can do rather than just hoping and praying...

thanks very much for the posting!

peter