Filing at DO, or by mail??

aussie81

Registered Users (C)
I was wondering whether I should be filing my I-130/I-485 at my DO or mail it to the Chicago address. Is there any advantage in filing it in the DO?

I wanted to file in Dallas because the DORA program, which would mean I didn't have to apply for EAP or AP (and I could save a lot of money!! :) ). Also it's easier for my husband and I to get to Dallas because his parents live there and we could stay overnight rather than drive 5hrs in one day. But it turns out that San Antonio is 7 miles closer than Dallas so it looks like we're stuck going there (and paying more money :mad: ).

So seeing as we can't go to Dallas it would be easier for us to file by mail, unless there is an advantage of filing in the DO. I don't want this to take any longer than it has to and I'd do anything to speed up the process.
My husband is in the Army and is often away and I'm pretty helpless without a ssn. I'm worried that he'll get deployed before my case is approved (a big possibility :( ) beacause that could cause us some problems.

aussie81 said:
I was wondering whether I should be filing my I-130/I-485 at my DO or mail it to the Chicago address. Is there any advantage in filing it in the DO?

I wanted to file in Dallas because the DORA program, which would mean I didn't have to apply for EAP or AP (and I could save a lot of money!! :) ). Also it's easier for my husband and I to get to Dallas because his parents live there and we could stay overnight rather than drive 5hrs in one day. But it turns out that San Antonio is 7 miles closer than Dallas so it looks like we're stuck going there (and paying more money :mad: ).

So seeing as we can't go to Dallas it would be easier for us to file by mail, unless there is an advantage of filing in the DO. I don't want this to take any longer than it has to and I'd do anything to speed up the process.
My husband is in the Army and is often away and I'm pretty helpless without a ssn. I'm worried that he'll get deployed before my case is approved (a big possibility :( ) beacause that could cause us some problems.

I am not sure where the confusion is.
If you live in area which comes under Dallas DORA program and if you want to speed up the process and save some money then you should file at DO. If you come under Dallas DORA program but do not want to go through DORA and wants to go through regualr process which may cost more money and time then its your choice.
On other hand if don't come under DORA program area then you don't have any choice but to mail at Chicago.

I don't see what is the problem in here.
You have two choices:
-Go by DORA if that applies to you (and if you want) and yes you can save some $$ for the EAD and AP, but that doesn't mean that the process will be as faster as it should be, can take a couple of months anyway.
-Mail at Chicago Lockbox as per instructions on the forms.
Now, if your husband is on the Army then you at least will have a military ID card that is a goverment ID issue so in any case you will have an identification from here that will help you out in some cases (doesn't work for drive though).
Good luck,

Just to clarify...

Dallas is not our DO because San Antonio is 7 miles closer to us. I've spoken to USCIS via the info line and they wont make any exceptions for us to go to Dallas despite the fact that it would be so much easier for us, but it's not their job to make things easier for people filing anyway.

So, as filing under DORA is NOT an option, I was wondering if it's better to file at our local DO (San Antonio) or file by mail.

Sorry for the confusion :rolleyes:

aussie81 said:
Why do they make it so difficult to get information??? :p

Thats because you are not reading the instructions carefully. You are asked to send the whole package to the chicago lock box if you are filing a family based AOS application.

Sometimes instruction on the forms are a bit outdated, so you should look at the page where you dowload the forms from the uscis website. Those download pages contain the latest instructions.