filed N-600 for son, confusing reply from uscis

Natchung

Registered Users (C)
Hi. Last May I filed an N600 petition for my minor son who is 16 years. He was never fingerprinted. In December, I received a mail saying that his case had been transferred to the California Service Center and I was also given a WAC number.
When I went to USCIS case status and put in the wac number, I got a message saying
" Your application was received at this office on December 10th 2005. It taking between 0 and 0 days to process this type of case." What the heck does this mean? Shouldn't I be given a time span for processing? What should I expect to get next?

Thanks for your time and help,
natchung

Some more info about me, I am a naturalized US citizen. My husband currently lives in India and my son lives in the U.S. with me. He is currently a permanet resident.

thank you for your reply. Does anyone know what is going to happen in terms of fingerprinting? The last time we went on vacation and tried to reenter the US, the immigration official at the airport told us that he was in breach of the law because he wasn't fingerprinted. (When he got his greencard he was under 14 and his fingerprint was waived).

How old was your son when you became a citizen? If you were naturalized before he turned 14, he wouldn't have needed to have his fingerprints taken, as he would have automatically become a US Citizen on the day you became a citizen. (As long as he had met the conditions of the Child Citizenship Act, which I'm assuming he has, as only a United States citizen can obtain a Certificate of Citizenship.)

http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/info/info_457.html

If he is a citizen, then he would no longer need a green card, as green cards are for resident aliens, NOT citizens. As a citizen, he should no longer be using his foreign passport or green card to enter the United States. He should be using a United States passport. If he is using his green card to enter the country, then that is why the officer at the port of entry is saying he should have gotten his fingerprints taken when he turned 14. (As far as they are aware, he is still a resident alien, as USCIS does not automatically update the records of children of naturalized citizens.)

For more info on obtaining a United States passport for your son, click the link above.

homeschoolmum said:
How old was your son when you became a citizen? If you were naturalized before he turned 14, he wouldn't have needed to have his fingerprints taken, as he would have automatically become a US Citizen on the day you became a citizen. (As long as he had met the conditions of the Child Citizenship Act, which I'm assuming he has, as only a United States citizen can obtain a Certificate of Citizenship.)

http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/info/info_457.html

If he is a citizen, then he would no longer need a green card, as green cards are for resident aliens, NOT citizens. As a citizen, he should no longer be using his foreign passport or green card to enter the United States. He should be using a United States passport. If he is using his green card to enter the country, then that is why the officer at the port of entry is saying he should have gotten his fingerprints taken when he turned 14. (As far as they are aware, he is still a resident alien, as USCIS does not automatically update the records of children of naturalized citizens.)

For more info on obtaining a United States passport for your son, click the link above.
Good piece of information homeschoolmum. Thank you. Just a minor correction - The age limit of the child for automatic citizenship should be under 18 when the parent(s) got naturalized. I am sure it must have been a typo error in your post. I was thinking of applying for N600 for my chidren but after seeing your post I am delighted to know that I don't have to. It saves me money, time and on top of all it saves me the hassel of dealing with CIS. Thank you once again.

mpotturi said:
Good piece of information homeschoolmum. Thank you. Just a minor correction - The age limit of the child for automatic citizenship should be under 18 when the parent(s) got naturalized. I am sure it must have been a typo error in your post. I was thinking of applying for N600 for my chidren but after seeing your post I am delighted to know that I don't have to. It saves me money, time and on top of all it saves me the hassel of dealing with CIS. Thank you once again.

I'm glad the info was able to help you in your own situation, mpotturi. And congratulations on being one of this country's newest citizens! :D

To clarify what I wrote, you are absolutely correct about the age limit for automatic citizenship being 18. In a previous post, it was stated that the minor should have filed an I-90 form and been fingerprinted at age 14. This is a requirement if the minor was a resident alien at that time. BUT if the parent(s) had already naturalized, then the child would be a United States citizen automatically, by act of law. As a citizen, the child would no longer be required to fill out form I-90, or be fingerprinted.

Oh, thank you. Unfortunately, my son was 15 when I became a citizen. I still filed the N-600 because I thought I needed the certificate at any rate, (just for official records). Well, I already paid the money, so it's just to wait until USCIS feels like replying. Do you think that I should apply for his passport now or do u think i should wait until i get a reply from USCIS regarding the N-600?( Thanks again for your help, I just REALLY wish that I did my research before I wasted all of my money and time)

Last edited by a moderator:
Natchung said:
Oh, thank you. Unfortunately, my son was 15 when I became a citizen. I still filed the N-600 because I thought I needed the certificate at any rate, (just for official records). Well, I already paid the money, so it's just to wait until USCIS feels like replying. Do you think that I should apply for his passport now or do u think i should wait until i get a reply from USCIS regarding the N-600?( Thanks again for your help, I just REALLY wish that I did my research before I wasted all of my money and time)

Natchung,

Although filing the N-600 isn't required, I believe it's still a good idea to have a Certificate of Citizenship, so I wouldn't say you've wasted your money. With regards to applying for a passport, it's really up to you whether you do it now, or wait until after the N-600 is processed. (USCIS seems to be generally processing N-600's faster nowadays.) If you're planning on travelling overseas in the very near future, then you should probably apply for it now. If you wish to apply now, you will need to show your son's birth certificate, his proof of legal permanent residency (green card or stamp in his passport) and proof of your status as a citizen. (Naturalization Certificate.)

Yes, we will be travelling soon. I think I'll apply for the passport as soon as possible. His greencard expired in January so I think instead of getting a new one , I'll just apply for the passport.

thanks again
natchung

Natchung said:
Yes, we will be travelling soon. I think I'll apply for the passport as soon as possible. His greencard expired in January so I think instead of getting a new one , I'll just apply for the passport.

thanks again
natchung

You're welcome, natchung! Even if his greencard is expired, it's irrelevant, as he is no longer a LPR, so he doesn't need one! If the conditions of the Child Citizenship Act have been met, he's a citizen. He will only need to show his old green card when applying for his United States passport, in order to prove that he entered the country as a LPR. Actually, he can either show that OR the stamp in his foreign passport. But as a citizen, he is no longer under the jurisdiction of USCIS, and he no longer needs to apply for a new card, or be fingerprinted. Also, when entering the United States, he certainly shouldn't use his green card or foreign passport. He should use only his United States passport.

Your son became a United States citizen on the day you took your oath. Even if he never took any action such as applying for the N-600 or applying for a passport, that doesn't change the fact that he's a citizen. He is no longer a LPR, so he no longer needs a green card. BUT it's highly advisable for a minor who became a citizen under the Child Citizenship Act to obtain either the passport or Certificate of Citizenship (or both) as proof of citizenship.

All the best, and happy travels!