FICA (Social Security) Taxes for H-1 Professional Worker - Do we really have to pay ?????

balls

Registered Users (C)
Guys, I know this is a little off topic but I believe it will be beneficial to all. One of my friends told me that we (H-1 Professional Workers) do not have to pay the FICA taxes. Apparently there is some form that you send in to INS/IRS which excludes us from paying these taxes. Does anyone have any knowledge of this and can we recover all the FICA we have payed since we\'ve been in this country ? This could save us thousands of dollars - I know we would all like to get this money back !!!

Thanks

No Title

Not true. You have pay FICA if you are on H1B. You donot have to pay FICA if you are on Practical Training after completion of a degree in the US.

Sorry to have burst your bubble

Good Luck

No Title

Only certain European countries qualify for FICA exemption because those countries have a manadatory retirement plan in place.. all others should pay FICA no matter what.. You should also qualify for 40 credits so that you will be eligible for Social Security checks when you are eligible to get them.. Usually these 40 credits can be achieved once you have accumulated certain amount in Social Security for certain amount of years.. If you go back to your country of origin prior to getting these credits.. the Federal Government assurps the money what I call it as "daylight robbery"..

hope this helps
BK

No Title

Fed actually Usurp\'s the amount contributed by the Employer\'s too.

No Title

The above 40 credits mentioned by Bhanu earlier, I believe is the same as 40 quarters, which equates to 10 years. So if you pay the amount continuously for 10 years, you will be eligible for the SS checks.

No Title

Each credit will be quarter if you pay is > $76500(around that range, not exact figure).

No Title

Bhanu, What if someone goes back to his/her origin country after earning 40 credits? Is he/she still be able to get SS checks?