Fed up with INS, thinking about Canada

sotiredofwaiting

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
I am more and more convinced that I will lose my job in the US before INS will get to look at my I-140, so I started looking at Canada. Could you share some info?
1.Where can I find the canadian processing times? I looked at the bboard and saw some conflicting info as to how long it takes to get the GC processed.
2. Is the IT job market as bad as it is in the States?
3. Are taxes much higher?

Thanx.

No Title

Hi Bogdan,

Will try to answer shortly:

1.Official info says – around 10 month after submitting the application.

From my experience – Notice Date 7/10/00, Medical Exam passed 12/13/00, Current Status –Still waiting.

2. Yes.

3. Taxes – 45% if not higher.

Those facts sound depressing, but there are other advantages.

No Title

Hi Aqua,
I am Anand Pandey from Australia. I used to actively participate on H1B Vermont Centre forum 4-5 months back. Remember? I landed to Boston 2 weeks back. How are things at your end?

No Title

Hey, hey, hey!
Of course I do remember you, and I’m pretty sure not only me. Welcome to neighborhood! I’m in Boston area too.
Currently I’m looking forward to become Permanent Resident somewhere here.
US immigration in process (I-140 ), Canada immigration is pending at it’s last stage.
Will see which country is first : )).
 Why you came only 2 weeks ago?

oterent@hotmail.com

No Title

HI,
I remember u vermont guys.
I also used to post messages there in the H1 section.
My h1 has also approved but due to slowdown my employer wants me to wait for a few months.
Meanwhile I\'m planning to start my immigration to canada process.
Can u guys pls advise me. I\'ve a doubt.

I\'m btech in textile engg frm iit delhi but after that i did ecommerce course frm a private institute and then 2+ yrs of work experience.
In which category shud i apply?
some say textile engg as the education must relate to the job.
some say it doesn\'t matter, IT is in demand so IT is the better option.
Pls advise.
Regards,
Cool
email
simerdeepsingh@usa.net

No Title

To the original poster\'s questions,

IT market in Canada: it is soft.

Tax rate: it depends how much you make. it is not as high as you think. for example, my cousin made about 65,000 last year in Toronto. he paid taxes of 15,000 that is about 23%.

one more thing: 65,000 is only 42,000 after exchange rate adjustment, but you can have similiar live style as people who make 65,000 and live here in states on rough average. once again, my cousin has a house in Missisauga. with 65,000 in the east coast, it is hard to afford a house.

i am not trying to picture Canada as the greatest country. what i am saying is it is not as bad as people tend to think. the weather is similiar to the east coast.