Fed up ... preparing to leave

Jackolantern

Registered Users (C)
I am from the West Indies, and while my own country is in bad shape, there are others that are doing well and the legislation in recent years has made it relatively easy for a skilled citizen of one West Indian country to self-sponsor to live permanently in another.

I have asked my family to find out what forms and supporting documents I need for the application. It will take 3-6 months to process, so I figure I will get through that by the end of this year or early next year. And it makes sense to stay until the first quarter of next year anyway, so I can get an expected large bonus from my job and complete 10 years of Social Security credits. By that time if I still don't have a green card (or even if I do!) I will decide if and when I will leave.

If I still don't have the green card by Feb/March 2008, I don't know if "almost there" would be accurate. When that time comes I will evaluate the situation and decide what to do. But I want to get those papers approved for the other country anyway. I don't have to use them if I don't want to.

Jacko, Hang in there buddy. I have been in this country for more than 9 years now. As fate would've had it I still haven't been able to apply for I-485 due to retrogression. There are days when i feel pissed at the whole situation and want to go back. At others I feel optimistic. You already have an EAD. It's easier said than done, but you just got to give it time. This too shall pass.

Jacko, Hang in there buddy. I have been in this country for more than 9 years now. As fate would've had it I still haven't been able to apply for I-485 due to retrogression. There are days when i feel pissed at the whole situation and want to go back. At others I feel optimistic. You already have an EAD. It's easier said than done, but you just got to give it time. This too shall pass.

Just wondering, what stopped you to apply in June.

Hang in there!!

hey Jack,
Hang in there for some more time if u can,don't give after waiting for so many years like that.....:)

If I still don't have the green card by Feb/March 2008, I don't know if "almost there" would be accurate. When that time comes I will evaluate the situation and decide what to do. But I want to get those papers approved for the other country anyway. I don't have to use them if I don't want to.

Since you have done FP2 in May, you must be one of those 60000(?) who got approved in June! All the best!!
From what I understand from my Congressman's office, some officers (like the one who was reviewing my file) are notoriously slow in updating the status in the USCIS computer system. Remember there was a post where the approval on June 4 was notified via e-mail on June 20.

Hi,

I notice that you contacted your congressman to get a detailed status on ur case. Can you give me the details of how you did this.. how to contact, what to ask etc?

Regards
Nick

PD: Mar 2003 EB3 IND
I-140 & I-485: Filed may 2004 (I-140 approved)
Mar 2007: Case transfered from VSC to TSC
May 2005: competed 2nd FP
I-485 Approval: ????

Hi,

I notice that you contacted your congressman to get a detailed status on ur case. Can you give me the details of how you did this.. how to contact, what to ask etc?

Regards
Nick

PD: Mar 2003 EB3 IND
I-140 & I-485: Filed may 2004 (I-140 approved)
Mar 2007: Case transfered from VSC to TSC
May 2005: competed 2nd FP
I-485 Approval: ????

You can find out who is your Congressman from http://www.house.gov/writerep/. Call your Congressman's office and speak to the immigration liasion. They should be able to get you the correct information about your case status.

good idea to have a backup plan

I am also thinking of a Canada/Australia backup...

But by PD is 2006-India. In your specific case I think you will be through by the time you get your approval from the other country you are considering. Either you are already in that 60,000 "premium-processed" I-485 cases, or you will be in the next batch that comes through in early FY2008. I really hope so, and pray for you man. You have been very helpful to lots of people here.

If that is the case then I will find out long before 2008 arrives.

hey Jack,
are you from atlanta ? I would say that you should stay back ..you have a EAD and I am sure you will get approval soon. going back to your own country is a noble thing though and I am sure WI is a great place. I guess it all depends on what kind of life you want to lead ..unfortunately for most Indians though things are better in India ..it is still a rat race

hey Jack,
are you from atlanta ? I would say that you should stay back ..you have a EAD and I am sure you will get approval soon. going back to your own country is a noble thing though and I am sure WI is a great place.
Actually I am planning to go to another country in the WI, not back to my own. That is why I need to do some paperwork first. I used to live in that country for a while before I came to the US, but it was on a company-sponsored and time-limited work permit. Now they and most of the other countries in the WI allow permanent self-sponsorhip for each other's citizens, at least for those with skilled labor.

I have not made any final decisions yet, except to get all the papers in place so I have the option to move there if and when I want. I will also visit there later this year.

And no, I am not from Atlanta although I do know some folks from my country who are now in Atlanta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no wow sad. Do not give up. You are almost there....
How sad :(
I have been reading you for a long time. Please do not give up.
You are a skilled immigrant.

I am glad as there are others thinking like me. I am in the same boat as you brothers. We have already started preparations and this is the first time I started thinking after July 1st and I am already ahead in the game. I am getting calls from Indian and International firms. Little excited but it might take months before I get to that comforable point...

Just wondering, what stopped you to apply in June.

My priority date became current only in July. I have been through LC several times before. Once I got laid off. 2nd time I was working for a startup and left after 2 years realizing its not going anywhere. Finally I joined a consulting company with whom I am now. The consulting company did apply for labor however it was stuck in BEC for a long time. Finally got my labor under PERM EB-2 PD Nov 2005 which became current only in July.

"almost there" with regards to GC causes more harm than good.

I think we all cling to that "almost there" and keep plugging on.
In the long run it causes us more damage than good. (eg: Being stuck in the same job for the duration of the GC process.)
But ofcourse, "hope" is such a driver.

"almost there" should only apply if one knows a definitive date for final approval and that date is close by.

Wish you the very best Jack, no matter where you decide you want to live.

Finally got my GC.

PD: Jan 2001 (EB3 worldwide)
LC AD: Aug 2002
I-140 AD: Oct 2004.
I-485 RD: Oct 2004
FP: July 2005 2nd FP: May 4 2007
2nd EAD RD: Mar 2007.